High & Low Reps/ Body Proportion

Viola1625

Cathlete
HI Cathe I am new to Cathe workouts. Here is my question for you. I noticed in XTrain Burn Sets, you are lifting heavy for the upper body with lower reps. I've read the manual and fully understand the benefits of heavy lifting and have done so at various times. My upper body, however, has quite a bit of lean muscle (very visible vascularity and striations, definition, and low body fat). I don't want to build any more lean tissue up there, but also do not want to lose the definition, strength and power I have worked so hard for. There is a proportion issue here as well. I have a knee problem on the left that is a direct result of a severe pronation in the foot. The pronation caused my knee to grow together at an awkward angle. My foot has been operated on, and I wear the mother-of-all orthotics, but the knee joint is still hitting at that odd angle. I try to work the legs as hard as I can, but my range of motion is limited, especially on the left - Plyo doesn't bother it as much as bending, and oddly, it hurts most when it is the back, bent leg (it is not as bad if I lunge back with a straight leg, or do an anterior forward lunge with the front foot elevated). My legs are lean and have definition, but they are more on the order of a distance runners legs, while my upper body is more on the order of a figure style body builder. The left quad is also noticeably smaller than the right because of its issue. If I lift the legs more than once per week, there is way more pain, joint popping, and swelling. I notice XTrain does have you lifting legs twice per week, (going to try it and see, as the workouts are very different?). Building up the legs with heavy weights is not my best option, as I have to be careful with the amount I lift. Not only for the knee, but my pelvic bones dislocate if I dead- lift over 100 lbs (the ligaments didn't tighten back up after 3 pregnancies). So ......I have a few issues that make it tricky! The upper and lower body difference isn't horribly drastic, but I don't want to make it any worse. Would you suggest sticking to higher reps for the upper body? If so, how high? I notice in burn-sets there is plenty of time to do higher reps if needed. What about the VERY high reps as used in Muscle Endurance/Boot Camp - what would those do as far as muscle building? Any suggestions on the legs? Please, anyone else feel free to give input too. I'm 36 years old, I do generally lift to failure, but at the 12-16 rep range. My fitness regime is a well rounded mix of intense strength, metabolic, plyo/Cardio, HIIT running, and very strenuous power yoga. This was my first month using Cathe workouts, the ones I have ready to go are: XTrain, LIS, CF, TTM, HIIT, B&G, KPC/L&G, LBB, BC/ME, Intensity, and CCC. Thank you for any advice you can give me!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.