Help! The 40's have struck!

I've looked into Obagi before but not bought it b/c getting the line costs approximately as much as botox, & frankly if I'm choosing one or the other it's botox all the way. ;)

So I'm curious b/c in my googling I haven't really found much info. What are the active ingredients? What is it about Obagi that makes it effective? Before & after pics on a website mean absolutely nothing to me, know what the wonders of modern technology can do to a photo.

Sorry, but this Paula Begoun skeptic needs answers before shelling out that kind of money. :eek:

Edit: I checked Paula's site & here are some of her reviews: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/brand_review.aspx?tid=372&brand=Obagi I'm seriously considering a membership to this Beautypedia.com, I bet it'd save me some money.

Last edited:
Since Paula sells her own line of products, I'm not sure I trust her to be objective about other company's products. Wouldn't she want us to think they aren't as good and that her stuff is the best?

Since Paula sells her own line of products, I'm not sure I trust her to be objective about other company's products. Wouldn't she want us to think they aren't as good and that her stuff is the best?

Actually, Paula didn't start selling her line until about 3 years ago. That was after women begged her! I think her first book--the cosmetics book--came out more than 10 years ago. ALL of her books came out before her line was launched. And they all have reviews--if she was self serving I'm guessing everyone would get a frownie next to them. ;)

Yep, I trust her implicitly. I've read all her books, but I've only bought something from her once or twice. I just look for the ingredients she's taught me to look for. :)

I think I'm confused!!! That's always my problem - I will think I have found the perfect thing but then maybe it isn't!!!

Carolyn,

I have agreed with Paula many times but disagreed with her review of a product just as many times. I think she does a good job at trying to be fair but she mostly works from the science of a product and not from actually trying it. She doesn't have time to try everything she reviews.

I would skip the Obaji cleanser, toner and alpha hydroxy products and use a mild cleaner and Alpha Hydrox (can get at drugstores or Ulta), a Paula's Pick. The hydroquinone worked really well for me but I continued peeling and still had red skin and acne after 3 months of retin-a use so I quit using the retin-a. I wanted a product or products to help with several concerns, not just wrinkles. Besides, I try to stay away from needles! Botox wasn't an option for me.

You can get an rx from your Dr. for the hydroquinone, which is cheap. Retin-a was covered by my insurance a few years ago for the treatment of acne, so check into that too.

It's difficult to pick but if you never try something, you never get anywhere. The ladies have made some good suggestions. Besides, you can always return what you don't like and start over.

Michelle

Has anyone tried the new line from Olay? It's a little pricey but I think there's a guarantee.

I have used the Olay products since I was in junior high school (I'm 44!). My grandmother (who died in 1999 at the age of 89), had beautiful skin and ALWAYS used Olay. That's how I started using it because I used to sneak in her bathroom and use her Olay products! I have always used Olay products and swear by them! But I do think that diet, etc. play a BIG part in your skin appearance (just from experience over the years), plus staying out of the sun is a good thing! I have fair skin and have some blotches from sun damage in my younger years (not major on my face, but still -- ). I can get cream from my dermatologist to fade this. But I noticed that when I eat pretty healthy, etc. and drink lots of water (which I do), my skin looks better. Plus when I exercise, I guess the blood is flowing more into your face and body, so it looks healthier.

Anyhow -- I know this is more than you asked for! But hope it helped!

Julie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.