Help!! MIS question..

naughtoj

Cathlete
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-02 AT 01:04PM (Est)[/font][p] I posted this in Cathe's forum, but forgot no one else was supposed to answer there..

Maybe you guys can help me here, although I feel silly posting this concern after reading Sherry's and Bobbi's posts. I will keep both of them in my prayers..here goes...

For the experienced lifter, is MIS still strength, or does it become endurance as well after a while??
I love the S&H series. I want to chop it up and make somewhat of an extended rotation with endurance lower body/strength upper and vice versa each week for an indefinate amount of time..such as ...

MON- S&H chest/back
WED- S&H biceps/triceps
Fri- Leaner Legs

and then the next week..

MON- S&H chest/back
Wed- S&H legs/abs
Thurs-bicep portions from CTX and BodyMAX
Friday- tricep portions from CTX, BOdyMax and PS.

Cathe, or educated crowd, do you think this kind of rotation could work on a longer term schedule, say 6-12 weeks?? I really love S&H and want to do it partially each week and mix some endurance in. I guess my main concern is with what Cathe says about S&H and not doing it for more than three weeks. Does the same apply here??

Thanks for any info you guys can provide. Oh, also, Cathe, if I am only doing one endurance leg workout every three weeks (plus lots of cardio and IMAX) wouldn't you say this is enough endurance work for my lower body?? Sometimes I think the lower body gets overkill with endurance. What do you think??

Janice

Hi Janice,

MIS can be a strength workout if you use weights heavy enough to completely fatigue the muscle. When using it for strength purposes, I do the legs with a 60#bb and the upper body varying weights from 30#-45#bb depending on the body part, this is a struggle for me and fatigues each muscle group.

Your rotation confuses me a bit because I don't see any shoulder work? And Thur. & Fri. of week 2 you listed BodyMax twice + PS for Friday, so I'm not at all sure what PS workout you're talking about? And what portions of BodyMax are you planning for the back to back days on Thur. and Fri.?

As far as doing S&H for longer than 3 weeks, many here have done it, I've done it for 6 weeks before, so it really just depends on you and what results you're wanting to achieve. I think Cathe's main reason for making the recommendation for a shorter rotation is because S&H really does take a lot of focus and mental concentration when you use it as outlined. But it really is up to you and what works best for you. :)

If you clarify the rotation I'll be able to give you better feedback, I'm just not sure where you were going with the second week and the lack of shoulder work.

Donna
Fitness~ it's a journey, not a race!

LOL Donna!! I don't think even I know what I am doing!!

Actually what I meant was, I want to stick with the S&H body part theme, for example Biceps/Triceps, Legs, chest/back, shoulders.

All I am really saying is I want 3 S&H workouts per week, with one body part or + getting an endurance workout. That is what I meant when I said BodyMax..Thurs I would do the bicep portion of BodyMax, CTX and PS. Friday I would do only the tricep portion of BodyMax, CTX and PS. So all the other days would be S&H on the other body parts and the next week I would switch out body parts for endurance.

I usually do not post about rotations because I seem to come up with the most confusing ones!! I want to make each body part 30-60 min. long. Do you think this is too much?? Is doing all three portions of CTX biceps, PS biceps, and BodyMax biceps too much in one workout?? Overkill??

Basically, I seem to get very good results with S&H. Even with MIS, the pace is too frantic for me to use a 60 lb. barbell (don't think I could). Right now with S&H I am looking into a weighted vest and 70 lbs. on my shoulders.

I have no idea where I am going with this, so I will let someone else give advice now..

Janice

Hi Janice,

I think I'm less confused now! :)

Hey, if you feel you can handle the biceps from all 3 workouts, you go for it! I think it would take me beyond "the burn" to "veins shooting from the skin" but that's just me! :)

You should give your rotation a try and see how it works for you. Afterall, only you can really judge what works for you and what doesn't, so give it a try, and if you find a winning combo, post back and tell us, "I've found the ultimate muscle building rotation!"

Donna

Fitness~It's a journey, not a race!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.