help me with pikes on the ball please!

pwmatt

Cathlete
I just can't get up on my toes on the ball. Is there a trick or is it just a matter of building my core muscles. My DD and I had a good laugh as I attempted Core Max this weekendA TIA Phyllis

Hi Phyllis! Yes, it is definitely a lot of core strength. One thing that helped me a lot was that I noticed Cathe was barely moving her ball and I was trying to move mine back and forth. (in & out) Once I noticed that, I just concentrated on pulling the hips up into the air and barely moving the ball and up I went! See if that helps. Also, not having a super firm ball helps a bit too. Let me know when you get UP there!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Phyllis--
When I do the pikes, I don't worry about making a perfect inverted "V"--instead I concentrate on raising my butt up--make the move come from your hips folding, if that makes sense. You might find that you pike easier when you don't think about your feet so much. Also, the other writer was right--Cathe doesn't move the ball so much. It's more like a ball-bearing than a "wheel."
You'll get it!
Lisa:p

Two things that helped my pikes tremendously were to:

1)start out with the ball under my shins instead of on the tops of my feet -- it's not as challenging to pike the closer the ball starts to your knees -- as time goes on, you can move the ball closer and closer to your feet

2)do your pikes with a sticky mat (yoga mat) under your hands and the ball. This will keep your upper body more stable and you'll have more success (same goes for plank work)

Let us know how you progress! Once you get to doing pikes, they are so much fun (even if they do push you to the limit in those final few :))

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.