Help Me Find Another Grain

The post on the vegetable barley soup got me thinking. I'm getting way tired of brown rice. I cook it for dinner with grilled chicken and a veggie (usually green beans), and eat a portion for lunch the next day. I haven't been eating any carbs or grains for dinner (this has helped really make me lean). I'm not sure if quinoa counts as a carb, since it's noted for its protein.

I'm REALLY bad about eating the same thing every day, every meal. It's healthy food, and this has helped me stay fit, but I need some change. As a picky eater, I have problems trying new dishes.

I have no idea how to cook or even what to add to dishes with other grains- barley, quinoa, bulgur, millet. In fact, I don't really even know what they look like. Do I buy it in a bag, box, or bag it myself at Whole Foods?

I found, and printed, this info. on the basics of cooking grains, and it should help me get started.
http://www.thecookinginn.com/hcg.html

Anyone have any suggestions, a la "Cooking Grains for Dummies"?

~Many thanks!~

I love barley in soups. It works great in soups that you make in a crockpot, especially.

Quinoa, bulgur and millet are really easy to cook - they take just about 20 minutes on the stovetop. You can use them for anything you use rice for. Quinoa is fluffier, millet can be a bit dry but has a nice wholesome taste. The classic way to use bulgur is in the Middle Eastern dish called Tabouleh. I also like it as a breakfast cereal, instead of oatmeal.

I don't know the nutritional breakdown of each, but I'd say that yes, quinoa would still be a carb.

Also, do you use brown rice or white rice? I prefer brown - it has a lot more flavor and is also higher in nutrients. If you go to a natural foods store, you may also be able to find a wide variety of different rices. There are a lot more than just the plain stuff they sell at the grocery store.

Oh, and don't forget about wild rice! It's expensive, but it's well worth it for a special meal every once in a while.

I looked at some of the recipes mentioned in previous threads about quinoa and looked online, and many of them have a lot of ingredients. I'm looking for the least amount of ingredients for the max amount of taste. I also don't want to eat it for breakfast. I'm hooked on my oatmeal.

I'll check out the websites and the book mentioned. Thanks!

I hardly ever follow recipes. I just cook the grain, then top it with some veggies or something. It's no big deal, I promise. ;)

You can basically use quinoa as you would rice. Another choice is couscous or Israeli couscous which is larger sort of like pearls. I like quinoa a lot because it is higher in protein and lighter. Just be sure to really rinse it in a strainer before you cook it. You can buy it packaged or in bulk at health food stores.

here's a recipe from my moosewood cookbookwhich i havent tried yet but looked good

Lentil-Bulgar Salad

1 cup dried lentils
2 c water
place the lentils in a med saucepan,cover with water and bring to a boil. turn heat to to wery low,partially cover and simmer 20-25 minutes until tender but not mushy. transfer to a large bowl

while the lentils are cooking place 1 cup dry bulgar wheatin a small bowl.add 1 cup boiling water,cover with a plate and let it stand 10-15 minutes.

add to the lentils

1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c lemon juice
2 medium garlic cloves,crushed
1 t salt
1/2 t oregano
2 Tablespoons freshly minced mint or 2 teaspoons of dried mint
2-3 T minced dill or 2-3 t dried dill
black pepper
1/4 c packed freshly minced parsley
1 small red bell pepper diced
1/2 stalk celery
1/2 c crumbled feta cheese
1/2 c olives

mix gently.cover tightly and refrerate

just before serving top with 1 med tomato diced,1/2 chopped walnuts,toasted, and garnish with lemon wedges
laura

i also have one withe feta cheese and cottage/ricotta cheese. let me no if you're interested. i had today off so it gives me something to do.

laura

tonight i'm going out to dinner so i'll send it tomorrow.if you like vegetarian dishes u will probably like The New Moosewood cookbook which is where these recipes are from.

laura

OMG Laura that is my sister's FAVORITE salad; I swear there was one year she lived on it. LOL!

She was also a fan of tabbouleh, but she has since discovered her intolerance to wheat and dairy. Whoops on this salad, then! ;)

Thanks for reminding me of it; it's pretty tasty! I'd bet you can sub in quinoa if you want to for the bulgar!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.