Help me decide what to buy!

lpepperdine

Hi all!

I am new to the forum and actually pretty new to Cathe. I had a couple step vids in the 90's but have never tried a strength Cathe program and really want to. A little background on me - I did a boot camp class every morning last year and really got fit (even though I was still pretty overweight), but unfortunately life got in the way and I haven't worked out in about 9 months. I loved the results I was getting from weight lifting and have tried the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women program unsuccessfully a few times over the last couple months.

I've learned that I get very bored doing strength training completely on my own. I need to be in a class or following a video.

I really want to get into a good heavier-weight strength rotation that will work for my beginner-ish level, but my head is spinning from my options. STS looks great, but I fear a little too advanced for me. I also worry that if a workout is an hour or longer, I will just never do it. I feel that XTrain might be a great option for me and am seriously considering pre-ordering it but would like to buy something to start right now.

So, I looked at the Gym Style workouts and 4 Day Split but honestly have no clue which one might be better for me. Can anyone offer any help on either of these? Or, is there another rotaion that you think would be better for me?

I apologize if a question like this has already been asked - just wasn't able to make a decision with my own searches of the forums!

Thanks!
Rebecca

I think gym Styles is a good choice! Its kind of hard to know for sure because ur level may be more or less then you think. But I think gym styles is great... u can lift as heavy as ur abilities and if ur a beginner ud be fine.
Also pyramids was good. I just got it myself. I'm more beginning / intermediate myself and I love It because I actualy get DOMS i never get DOMS usually, i mean before my joints get Sorethat is . But with these I mention i do get DOMS.
Another that I love is push pull because its total body in 45! I love it, It can be tailored for a beginner or for intermediate. I know a lot of people, I read think its to easy for advanced but I Think if u go heavier when it gets easy it wont Be so easy. Lol So push pull I can see me doing along time As well. Hope that helps.
Are u interested in any cardio? She came out with crossfire and to the max...great workouts to. They are very advanced but I think u can use it to. Its in Segments if you need, just do a segment til you can do more.
Also. I think its free shipping if u get xtrain and a different dvd. If u order xtrain and the one or two others They will send u ur dvds now free shipping and xtrain later free shipping, plus look At news letter for coupons. Hope this helps

Last edited:
I almost forgot iif d rather...there are cardio. Workouts that truly are hiigh intensiity yet LOW impact. Have. You looked into those? My favs are Afterburn..cardio super sets And athletic training.
Good beginning step would be low Impact step, andd my fav loww iimpact circuit..great music, And low max.

I think Gym Style is a great series. Just weights no cardio. 4 day split includes cardio, but has premixes without. Pure Strength is nice and I'd say more intermediate than Gym Style. It was my first Cathe videos over 10 years ago and I got really good results. I lift heavier with GS but you wouldn't have to when starting out. GS is just classic solid weight training that you can remember, so if traveling and need to workout in a hotel gym, you'd know what to do. You'll eventually want them all. It's an addiction - so enjoy!

Hi Lpepperdine,

I would suggest old cathe's workout Powerhours and Muscle max which are pure weight lifting. This workout contains tutorial sequence for any level of fitness. It is the best, in my opinion, for beginners. Gym style is for advanced exercisers. Those who have been working out with cathe at home for a long time would agree with me that when Cathe's dvd is rated advanced, it is truly for advanced exercisers.

Powerhours which is a high reps program can help you get started in connecting your muscles to your brain.
As you have been off for a time you need to re-establish the connection.

All the best and please keep us posted,

Nathalie

Last edited:
Hello. I would suggest the Low Impact Series. To get you started with Cathe. The Total Body Trisets is a wonderful weight lifting workout! I got amazing results from doing teh Novemeber rotation with LIS. I would also pre order Xtrain. If you start doing Cathe now, you should be ready when Xtrain comes out. Also To the Max and Cross Fire are amazing workouts. They are tough though. :)

Hope this helps and good luck! If you have more questions...just post them. This is a wonder place with lots of amazing people who are always willing to help! :) Good Luck!

Muscle Max, Power Hour, and Pure Strength are a few of my favorites. They are older but I find myself using them on a regular basis...straight forward weight lifting without anything fancy. And you can go as light or heavy as you want.

You could try the beginner's rotation. I am a big fan of 4DS. It is extremely versatile. There are many premixes that allow for variety. The music is great. I think its a great bargain. You can do just the strength or you can do the workouts as 'programmed' or designed. Or, you can do what I like, which is one day of cardio, one day upper body, one day of cardio, one day lower body. I should warn you: Cathe is sneaky, she seems like its all ok, and then wammo, a day later the doms hit so hard you can't sit down. Don't try to lift her weight. She uses a lot of endurance (although 4DS is really more about lifting heavy.) and you may wish to try the workout with a very light weight to learn the flow and choreography first. I love the bootcamp workout. Its a lot of fun. Sometimes I will pair that premix with a short 2 mile run around the block.

The other series I am so fond of is 'Pyramids'. Its classic weight training imo. You can do a lot with it. Its just weight training. Its not cardio. Its an older workout, but I find it to be really fun.

Last edited:
If you get just one video to start and want good heavy weight lifting...Get Muscle Max. It is a good solid weight workout and is not overwhelming as say buying a whole series.

It is also a good intro to Cathe.

Best wishes...let us know

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.