Help interpreting Hemocrit and Glucose Scores

Manmohini

Cathlete
I took the 1-hour glucola test last week, and my hemoglobin was also tested.

Bear with me. I'm not the scientific type. I just learned from a mailed card that I passed the glucola test with a score of 88. I have no idea what this means. Is this passing with an A, B, C, or D? My hemoglobin was in the low range, it said, but still acceptable (11.6) although recommendations were made to increase iron. Anyone know exactly what these scores mean? Does an 88 on the 1-hour glucola test come close to the cut-off? What does it mean exactly? What about low hemoglobin?
Thanks for any advice/experience you can offer.
Manmohini
Manmohini

The test standards for fasting glucose testing in pregnancy are:

fasting baseline- 95 mg/dL (milligrams per deciliter)
1 hour- 180 mg/dL
2 hours- 155 mg/dL
3 hours- 140 mg/dL

I'm assuming you had the three hour fasting test since your levels were low, so if you had a glucose level of 88 mg/dL at the three hour mark you are doing great. Anything over 140 would indicate gestational diabetes.

As far as your low hemoglobin, your growing baby is making a huge demand on your body for adequate iron in addition to all the extra blood volume, and most women experience a bit of anemia during pregnancy. I did with both of my kids and took a little extra iron in addition to my prenatal vitamins.
The low point to worry about for hemoglobin is 9.5. When it gets that low or lower they worry about excessive bleeding during delivery, preterm labor and developmental problems with the baby. You might be toward the low point, but not enough to worry about. Talk with your doctor about an iron supplement and maybe increase the green veggies.

(info from my mom who is a labor and delivery nurse)

<<Does an 88 on the 1-hour glucola test come close to the cut-off?

Different health care professionals use different standards for determining whether your level is too high. Some will say that if your one-hour blood sugar level is 140 or more, you need to have the glucose tolerance test. Others use 130.

If your level is high, then the 3 hour GTT is done (which Natalie has given the values for it).

Thanks Natalie and Autumn. The 88 score was from the 1-hour (50 gram) glucola test. I was worried because the drink was repulsive and I became nauseated for a couple of days. I thought something was wrong. I don't take any sugar normally (except fruit), so my doctor concluded the nausea was from not being used to sugar. Anyhow, it sounds like 88 is well below the 140 cut-off for a 1-hour test, so I won't worry.

Thanks Natalie for the hemoglobin parameters. I am thinking about an iron supplement, but right now I am hitting the kale, spinach, and chard on a daily basis. I grew remiss about that in the last month or two. Do you think that will be enough to do it? I will take the iron supplement if necessary, but constipation is a hell I'd rather not endure. I am prone to it, but have been very lucky this pregnancy. I would hate to have to deal with that and its cousin--hemorrhoids!
Manmohini
Manmohini

Are you taking a prenatal vitamin or relying only on your diet, (which I can tell is very good)?

Of course ask your doctor if he/she feels you need a supplement to help you feel your best or if supplementing with diet is enough. From my experience, the little bit of extra iron didn't cause constipation, but then I also have IBS with constipation, so I eat a lot of fiber to keep it under control.

I also needed some extra iron while I was breastfeeding. Weird as it sounds, I was more depleted while nursing than I was while pregnant. It really made a difference in my energy levels to have the help of a supplement in addition to my prenatals.

>>Of course ask your doctor if he/she feels you need a supplement to >>help you feel your best or if supplementing with diet is enough.

Yes, check with your health care professional first.

Yes, in answer to your question, Natalie, I am taking a prenatal vitamin.

I spoke to my oby/gyn today about the score, and she said that she doesn't normally become concerned unless a woman drops below 11. My level is at 11.6 which she said is low, but not a level they would worry about yet. (But really, to me, 11.6 sounds pretty damn close to 11); My doctor left the iron supplement up to me, but did suggest that some kind of supplementation--diet or tablet--would be a good idea. My husband has been taking an iron supplement lately which is entirely plant-based and doesn't cause constipation (at least that has been his experience. It's called Floradix. I would need to do some research on it because the product also contains herbs, and I would need to make sure they are safe during pregnancy.

Lately, I have noticed that I tire in the afternoon--something that has never happened to me in my life. Also, my leg muscles fatigue very easily when climbing stairs. Maybe it's the low hemoglobin? Or is this just typical third-trimester annoyances?

Thanks for all the good info. ladies!
Manmohini

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.