Help. I'm So Tired!

Dawncharlie

Cathlete
Hi Ladies,

I hope you don't mind me joining the forum. I'm 11-weeks pregnant--my first! I have been a fanatic Catheite for about two years (I'm so disappointed not to be able to go on the roadtrip this year). I have just about every DVD/video and would sometimes do two of her workouts a day! I loved my Cathe workouts and had lost about 100 lbs over three years. :)

But for the last few weeks, I have been so tired. I mean, I get out-of-breath tired just doing simple things like walking the dogs or doing errands around the house. I tried High Step Training last weekend and had to sit down and catch my breath after the second or third circuit. I used to be in really great shape, the shape of my life, and now I feel like a slug. I barely find the energy to exercise and I can tell my mood has plummeted and I feel so sad sometimes. OK, I will admit that since I found out I was pregnant, my eating habits and cravings have been terrible (I'm embarassed that I ate not one but two doughnuts this morning, something I never allowed myself before the pregnancy), but I'm looking for some kind words. Was anyone else so tired during their first trimester? Is it possible to continue Cathe workouts without losing your breath? Does it get any better? My doctor did tell me to limit workouts to 30 minutes and lift no more than 20 pounds, but is that really going to help? I feel like I don't even break a sweat in 30 minutes without any impact. (I do have Cathe's low-impact workouts and plan to cycle through those.)

OK. That was more of a vent than a question. Thanks for listening. Where else but on a Cathe forum among moms-to-be might I find women who would understand? :)

Have a great day,
Dawn

Hi Dawn-Welcome and congratulations on your pregnancy. I am about 9 weeks and feel your pain! I manage about a 30 min workout a day...and I really have to push myself...after that I am done for the day. I am totally exhausted all the time!! I was not like this with my first preg...but it was 9 years ago and I was a LOT younger then. They say it passes at about 12 weeks..so maybe we'll get our mojo back soon . I too find myself down in the dumps. Must be a hormone thing. I am not one to just lie around..but find myself "resting" a lot!

Hi Dawn,
Welcome to the forum. I have German doctors as I live in Germany and they are MUCH more progressive than the Americans. Even though they are not personal trainers, they keep telling me to do exactly what I'm doing (and I did 105 minutes of Chest and a Cathe circuit this morning) without any reservation. I'm 31+ weeks and have gained 6 pounds only and they are extremely pleased. I'm tired, but get enough sleep; am bloated, but drink tons of water; and no appetite, but continue to eat. That being said, it's hard for me to break a sweat as I have some lower back pain. I just keep doing my workouts everyday (with lots of modifications so there is no impact) and am able to continue feeling okay in my skin. I wasn't really too tired in the first, second, and third trimester; but continued to listen to my body. Yes, I changed from lifting heavy weights and low reps to lighter weights and higher reps and have gotten amazing results. I hope this helps--just listen to your body.

By the way, the 140 bpm heart rate is outdated. Check out some of Dr. Clapp's research. I just re-read some of his work this weekend and it reaffirmed my approach.

No doubt the two doughnuts are tough, but I've allowed myself A LOT of "cheat" stuff in the third trimester and I'm still considered small for this duration in the pregancy.

Keep in touch!

Congrats on the pregnancy!

The first trimester I was exhausted. I am a med student and I had off the month of June to study for my boards. Well, I ended up pregnant and slept that entire month! I don't think I studied at all (luckily I still passed).

Oh, and the heavy breathing...that may continue. Your baby is producing carbon dioxide as well and you have to breath out what he/she makes as well as what you make. Throughout my pregnancy I could run up multiple flights of stairs at the hospital, but I sounded like I was about to die afterwards with my heavy breathing! I didn't feel worn out, just sounded it.

Don't push yourself too hard now. Do what you need to feel enjoyment with your workouts. Weight will come off afterwards. I put on 40# and at 7 weeks post-partum only have 6 to go. (and I think 2 of those is breast tissue!)

Becky

Thank you!

Thanks so much, everyone. I feel encouraged to get back in the workout game, even if it's a little at a time (maybe I'll try Basic Step or Low Impact Step this weekend). I know working out again may help keep my spirits up. I know I have to get the eating back under control, too (it's depressing not to fit into clothes and know it's not just because of the itsy, bitsy baby at this point). It's become a constant struggle. Oh well, I guess that is part of life.

Thanks again, everyone. 30 or so weeks to go!

I'm 22 weeks now and I was able to keep working out throught the 1st trimester but I had to cut way back. I would be so exhausted that the thought of an hour workout seemed out of the question. I told myself I would have to do at least 30 minutes. I would just do any of the 4DS cardio except bootcamp, 30 min. of Rythmic Step, or 30 min. of another step cardio. I would also alternate cardio days with weights. I do higher reps, lower weight. I have gained weight but I was really small to start with. I'm 35 and this is my 1st. I do not like the weight gain, I've never carried weight in the middle so this is really strange for me not to mention my chest. It's ridiculous. It doesn't help matters that everyone looks at my stomach when I walk by at work to see if it's gotten bigger. Then they comment so I've really had to adjust to that. You do feel better in the 2nd trimester. I've had pretty much the same energy level I had before.

Ashley

I found that downshifting my workouts was necessary. I was like you, and most things got my heart rate up very quickly, and my old workouts were too much early on. Every day was different. Some days I could do the old stuff, some days no.
I invested in Cathe's beginner workouts for those tired days where I needed something shorter, and they were PERFECT. I used Basic Step and the original LIS regularly. I also dropped my step height to just the platform for basically my entire pregnancy. That's all I needed to get my heart rate up.

You just have to remember that it's not about what you "used" to be able to do. Your body is going to be different for awhile, and you have to accomodate it now. You'll get back to the old stuff once you have the little one.

For now, enjoy that you can do shorter, easier workouts, and you don't have to worry about trying to maintain a certain weight! LOL! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.