Help! I'm so hungry!

angie_mitchell

Cathlete
Cathe, (or anyone else with insight!)

I have been doing 4DS for about 3 weeks now and I am really enjoying it! But, I am finding that I am just starving all day long and I am totally counteracting my workouts because I am eating myself silly because I can't find anything to quench my hunger.

One of the things I am really trying to focus on lately is getting two fruits and veggies in per day (which is huge for me... I've never been a big veggie eater) but they are just not at all filling. And to the contrary, I almost feel like they make me more hungry!

Can anyone suggest ways that I can eat in order to make it so I'm not so hungry all the time? Thanks!!

angie

what else are you eating besides the two fruits and veggies throughout the day? Are you eating any starchy carbs like brown rice, sweet potatos, ezekeal bread? Are you getting enough protein? enough good fat? What does a normal day of food look like for you?

You need complex carbs to fill you up and sustain you and protein (every 2-3 hours) to build lean muscle. I sincerely hope this is not ALL you're eating because it's not enough to sustain a mouse. Under-eating makes you tired, listless, and slows your metabolism. There are loads of great books to inform you as to what you should eat and when. I've been recommending David Zinczenko's The Abs Diet for Women and The Abs Diet Ultimate Nutrition Handbook. Please check them out because they both have loads of nutrition information you could really use.

I agree with the others -- what else are you eating?? Definitely make sure you are getting enough protein all through the day.

Like you, I try to get two servings of fruits and two vegetables through the day, but you also need protein and carbs!

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it was all I was eating. I'm eating pretty healthy otherwise, oatmeal, kashi, veggie soups, lean meats, etc. I think I'm just looking for a couple things that I know will help fill me up mid-morning or afternoon when I get a hunger surge. I will check out those books though - thanks!

angie

I've become a big fan of things like string cheese, those little single servings of Breakstones cottage cheese with crackers, turkey rollups (roll a slice or two with some low fat cheese), a handful of almonds or cashews, Danon Light & Fit yogurt...etc...

Eating every 2-3 hours keeps me satisfied and I never feel starving.

Maybe take a look at what you snack on and make some adjustments there?

Thanks! I think it's just really about realizing I need to eat more often and not allowing myself to get to a point where I get super hungry! I love string cheese and all things nuts so I should be able to pull that off. I also love those laughing cow cheese triangles.

I like peanut butter on my apple for a mid-morning snack. I also put pumpkin flax seeds on my bananas. Helps me eat fruit, and gives me some protein and other good things at the same time. Protein and a complex carb seem to curb my hunger...

So how do you eat every 2 to 3 hours and still stay within your limited calorie intake for the day and still get the balance of foods you need? Lisa

Like Zinczenko said in his book, if you eat the right foods at the right time in the right amounts you won't NEED to count calories because the foods you eat self-regulate your appetite. Since I started eating right the pounds have been steadily dropping and I've built muscle I can SEE and FEEL so counting calories is superfluous. I wish I had understood all this 20 years ago because I love not being hungry, not feeling deprived, and the changes happening to my body because of the changes in my diet and my approach to working out. I remember losing weight on Weight Watchers, everyone in the meeting cheering me on, and me thinking 'I'm already starving... and now I'll be allowed even LESS food...' I knew I was done with WW that very moment all because I didn't know HOW to eat substantively. I was just counting calories and trying to figure out how to fit in a piece of chocolate cake! If I knew then what I know now, had educated myself about proper diet, followed through on the changes, and started seriously training with weights I could have done it on my own then. It's a little late for me to be figuring all this out but for the first time, ever, I'm finding all this a breeze. One day I was craving something really bad at work (I won't say what because then you all will be craving it, too) but I had brought along a pear. Now, I never really cared for pears, which I always felt were naturally a little too mushy (compared to, say, a crisp apple) but I was trying to broaden my food horizons so I bought a few. You know, when I bit into that thing it was so sweet and juicy I totally forgot about that other sweet thing I had wanted. I just felt joy and was totally amused and giddy that I REALLY liked that thing. I'm having A LOT of moments like that these days.

If you check out all the newest research (by trainers that is) like Bill Phillips Body for Life, Craig Balantyne, Alwyn Cosgrove, even Jillian and Bob from biggest loser, they are all stressing 4-8 small "meals" (i.e. a meal can be that banana with some pumpkin seeds)..to keep the metabolism fired....I balked last year, doing BFL with a girlfriend....we both dropped 10 pounds....and we're at "that age " (46 and 50) where its SOOO daggone tough...

What doesn't work for me is the free day...I'm better off enjoying a heartier meal a couple times a week....the free day can turn into a binger day for me....

Also! What helped me was Precision Nutrition...Dr. Berardi's program...he's of my tribe (Irish/Italian and given to feasting!) - he is SO sane and his program gives you workouts and stuff....

I agree about WW - I'd be starved!

What else have some of you tried with good results?

Hi Ladies! What's worked for me is Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle e-book. I've gotten my bf% down to 14.42%. You can check out his website burnthefatinnercircle.com. You can track your meals using fitday.com. After a while, you won't even need to use fitday. It will just come naturally. HTH, Kathy:D

If I lift, I have to have protein within 30 minutes of when I lift - and preferably not a shake, but real food. I try for 10-20 grams. That seems to help me avoid the what I call, "Even my desk looks good" munchies. You know, the ones that are uncontrollable!

I'm doing WW right now and you're right, they do not give you enough to eat. My coworkers who are also on WW look at what I eat compared to what they eat and are amazed - especially since I've lost more weight than either of them. But, I use a HRM and I count every 100 calories burned on it as an activity point, and laugh at the WW instructors who tell me not to eat more than 4 points. I get between 1800-2000 calories a day that way. So it works.

My big beef with WW is the way the instructors teach the classes. It's all about this processed food has this many points, this processed food has that many points... I like the idea that WW does not require anyone to eat a certain way (because for some, just getting the weight off is the important thing to start), but I do think the instructors should be pointing out that IF you eat clean and healthy you can actually eat more food and feel more satisfied because you're actually giving your body what it needs and craves. If you do weight watchers and eat clean at the same time, the number of points becomes almost irrelevant as so much of what you're eating is 0 points food. Which is why I can eat so much more in volume as I don't eat the little meals that come out of boxes and are 6 points. I eat a huge salad and have a lean chicken breast (when I'm not on Lent) with a piece of whole wheat bread and that's 4 points and I'm a lot more satisfied. What I don't get, is why my coworkers don't get that, especially when they see my success.

I totally agree with what you say about weight watchers. I feel that the program is good for beginners, but eventually in order to get the muscle definition that most of us would like eating clean is something that you really have to do.

I agree 100% that calorie counting is superfluous to weight loss.

You have to be conscious of what you eat and eat the right things to lose any weight, feel satisfied and build lean muscle mass (as well as lifting heavy of course). It burns me when I hear people say “well its only X amount of calories” like that makes it a good thing. Clean food, non processed lean protein, fruit, veggies and an appropriate amount of GOOD fat make the difference, not the calories. When you live by this your body has no choice but to respond.

By the way – there is a new magazine out there now Clean Eating. It has lots of recipies and tips for eating clean if this is not already your way of eating.

Travis

I don't see water mentioned anywhere here...how much are you drinking, water, plain water that is, not diet coke, things like that. Plain water is a great appetite suppressant, I know from experience because I found myself in the same boat as you in the past, more water really helped do the trick!

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all your input. I think I have had all this knowledge in my head, it just comes down to applying it and actually having the self control. My biggest problem is discipline. I can justify anything!

I never drink enough water. I'm always thirsty. I probably only ave 32 oz or so a day. That's going to take some work!

I am interested in that clean eating magazine. I'm going to check into it! Thanks again for all the support!

angie

>
>I agree 100% that calorie counting is superfluous to weight
>loss.
>
>You have to be conscious of what you eat and eat the right
>things to lose any weight, feel satisfied and build lean
>muscle mass (as well as lifting heavy of course). It burns me
>when I hear people say “well its only X amount of calories”
>like that makes it a good thing. Clean food, non processed
>lean protein, fruit, veggies and an appropriate amount of GOOD
>fat make the difference, not the calories. When you live by
>this your body has no choice but to respond.
>
>By the way – there is a new magazine out there now Clean
>Eating. It has lots of recipies and tips for eating clean if
>this is not already your way of eating.
>
>Travis

I agree with everything you posted except the "calorie counting is superfluous to weight loss" part. The Laws of Thermodynamics would also disagree.

You can eat as clean and as substantially as you want, but if you're eating more calories than you are burning, you're going to gain weight. Period.

The plus side is that if you are eating lots of unprocessed foods (which contain fewer calories, even lean red meat), you are automatically eating fewer calories, hence, the weight loss.

>I agree with everything you posted except the "calorie
>counting is superfluous to weight loss" part. The Laws of
>Thermodynamics would also disagree.
>
>You can eat as clean and as substantially as you want, but if
>you're eating more calories than you are burning, you're going
>to gain weight. Period.
>
>The plus side is that if you are eating lots of unprocessed
>foods (which contain fewer calories, even lean red meat), you
>are automatically eating fewer calories, hence, the weight
>loss.
You are 100% correct – and I apologize for stating it as I did.

In my case I have found and therefore believe that if you eat clean on a consistent basis, and work out consistently as well, you will not eat/crave/need more calories then you are burning and calorie counting becomes unimportant.

Travis

:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.