help-cat not eating enough?

aseay

Cathlete
i give her,about 7 yrs old, a handfull of food every night and she eats half of it. its the Purina One Advanced Hairball Formula. she does drink alot of water. she has eaten purina all her life and has been eating like this for a week. is not eating much affecting hairball prevention? a couple of times every day she makes a coughing noise like shes going to spit something out.

laura

I'd honestly be more worried that her loss of appetite and her drinking a lot of water might mean she's got some other health issue. If her eating doesn't improve soon, I'd take her to the vet for blood and urine tests.

On the other hand, loss of appetite can actually be a symptom of hairballs. That combined with her coughing might indicate she's got a big hairball that she can't get up. You can buy a hairball remedy at your local pet store that helps move the hairballs along. It's a thick pasty substance that works best when given through a syringe (don't know if I spelled that right). It's not always easy to get the cat to swallow the stuff, but it works very well. I could never get my cats to just eat it on their own. I always had to sort of force feed it with the syringe. It helps to have someone else hold the cat still while you administer the gunk.

You can also buy hairball treats that might work faster than the hairball food does. My cat loves the treats, so I give her a couple every few days to try to help with the hairballs. (You'd probably have to give them every day until the hairball comes out). I also brush my cats a lot more this time of year. It really helps keep the fur balls down.

Good Luck. I hope the problem is just a hairball and that she coughs it up soon!
Shelbygirl

Is it hot in the house? A bit reduced appetite and drinking more could be a reaction to that.

But I agree with Shelbygirl that it could be a hairball that's blocking her. Try some canned pumpkin (the stuff that's just pumpkin, no added spices!). It has fiber to help move things along, and can be used as a hairball preventive. If that doesn't help within a short time (1-2 days), then have her checked out at the vet's. Especially have her checked out if anything seems to get worse.

Cat's drinking a lot of water can be a sign of diabetes or kindney problems or other illness. How long has it been since she's had a comprehensive physical, including blood screening? (I have one done for my older cats about every 2 years.)

thanks soooo much for your help. i went to the pet store and bought Natural Defense Harball Remedy. my cat licked it from my hand. she accually liked it. i also bought hair ball treats because i will be gone a week and having a friend take care of her.

laura

>I will be gone a week and having a friend take care of
>her.

I strongly encourage you to take your cat to a vet before you leave.
You don't want to come back to a cat who is really sick, or let something like kidney problems go on that long without treatment.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.