HELP ADVICE ON HORMONES!

cecil

Cathlete
Ok usually I just lurk and I post occasionally but I need help. I am 36 years old and I think I am going crazy. I have extreme hot flashes and everything is starting to irk me! I went to the doctor last wednesday and she drew blood and everything came back normal. How can that be? I dont know what to do anymore. I am not on ocps my husband had a vasectomy. Do I need to go back on birth control pills? My doctor is no help since all my blood work is normal. Advice is appreciated please!!!

Sincerely,
Lisa

I am 41 and take progesterone for PMS symptoms and the occasional night sweat deal. Works like a charm. My results did not come back really low, but it depends obviously where you are in your cycle when they draw the blood and do the test. I would inquire about taking a small dose of progesterone for 12 days out of your cycle..days 12-24. It has made a nice difference for me.:)

Had the same thing in my mid 30's. Also add in the irritability and I felt like a monster - would get mad at the kids and they hadn't done anything. I started tracking it and it was very cyclical. My previous DH had a vasectomy too so I wasn't on BC.

Went back on after I couldn't stand myself and the hot flashes.

Am now 50 and still on a very low dose BC. Definitely help me. Am ready to get off though - last OB suggested not to get off them - will be seeing a different one this time due to insurance but we'll see.

Good luck - it's a crummy thing those hot flashes. My DH thinks I'm crazy when he touches me and I start burning up from the inside out. I jump outta bed and start fanning myself and it can be 55" in the house}(

BUT - can you imagine the guys having the kids and going through all this:p ?

Hey Lisa,

"I'm not a doctor", but it sounds like you could have hormonal imbalance indeed. Sometimes going to a regular medical doctor will just end up with you being prescribed a bunch of pills that treat your symptom without diagnosing the cause.

Check out http://www.johnleemd.com - great information, and I'd recommend if you are open to it, going to a holistic/naturopathic doctor also....I have a feeling you'll see better results. It has happened to close friends and some family members in my life.

Feel free to email me and I can pass on more information that I've researched etc.

[email protected]

Hope this helps!

Kelly Olexa
www.olexa.myarbonne.com

>Ok usually I just lurk and I post occasionally but I need
>help. I am 36 years old and I think I am going crazy. I have
>extreme hot flashes and everything is starting to irk me! I
>went to the doctor last wednesday and she drew blood and
>everything came back normal. How can that be? I dont know
>what to do anymore. I am not on ocps my husband had a
>vasectomy. Do I need to go back on birth control pills? My
>doctor is no help since all my blood work is normal. Advice
>is appreciated please!!!
>
>Sincerely,
>Lisa
>

:)

I agree with Kelly, natural remedies in my opinion are the best. Black Cohosh is good for hot flashes.

Welcome to Perimenopause. x( Until I started with hot flashes, I had no idea there was such a thing. I just figured one day I would turn 50-something and instantly go into Menopause. When I told my doctor I was having hot flashes that would wake me in the middle of the night, he laughed and said, "You're too young." (I was 36.) I've since learned that we enter Perimenopause in our mid-30s, and it can be a long transition.

BCPs helped me with a few symptoms in the beginning, but I eventually stopped taking them. I'm trying to eat better and include more phytoestrogens in my diet like flax seed, soy, prunes, broccoli, and nuts. I hardly ever have flashes anymore.

Suzane Somers book "Ageless" has some really interesting information too on this phase...a more holistic approach.

>Welcome to Perimenopause. x( Until I started with hot
>flashes, I had no idea there was such a thing. I just figured
>one day I would turn 50-something and instantly go into
>Menopause. When I told my doctor I was having hot flashes
>that would wake me in the middle of the night, he laughed and
>said, "You're too young." (I was 36.) I've since learned that
>we enter Perimenopause in our mid-30s, and it can be a long
>transition.
>
>BCPs helped me with a few symptoms in the beginning, but I
>eventually stopped taking them. I'm trying to eat better and
>include more phytoestrogens in my diet like flax seed, soy,
>prunes, broccoli, and nuts. I hardly ever have flashes
>anymore.
>
>

Kelly Olexa
www.olexa.myarbonne.com

Thank you so much everyone!! I am going to look into all of these suggestions. Kelly I ordered the book on the website thank you for the information! I really appreciate all of your help you ladies are wonderful! Have a great day!

Lisa

I'll be checking that book and site out too, Kelly. Thank you!

Another book that helped me understand (and feel better about) the whole Perimenopausal process is [a href= "http://www.amazon.com/OUTSMARTING-MIDLIFE-FAT-CELL-STRATEGIES/dp/0786884126/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211377224&sr=8-1"]Outsmarting The Midlife Fat Cell[/a]. Normally, a book with "Midlife" and "Fat Cell" in the title wouldn't appeal to me, but I ended up really benefiting from it. It's actually part of what led me to Cathe's site.

One the best books I've read on women's hormones is by Dr. Elizabeth Lee Vliet, Screaming to be Heard, Hormone Connections Women Make and Doctors Still Ignore.

The road to menopause is a long winding one and it's made easier with education.

Thank you all so much, I now have alot of reading to do! I really appreciate all of your advice!

Lisa

I noticed that my hot flashes were dictated by how much caffeine I have in my diet! Cut the caffeine and cut the flashes. Hope this helps!

hi - you definetely have a hormone imbalance - maybe see an endocrinologist? i have pcos and had hot flashes and night sweats when i was 28-31..then got pregnant and they have since been gone. not recommending a pregnancy which caused other hormonal problems - BUT these hormonal problems should be identified and treated. btw, i had a blood work up too and it didn't point to anything beyond the pcos. i also suspect i had perimenopause.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.