height and weight?

True, there are alot of factors that come into play here.Not everyone is built the same and I think it takes a while for people to realize this.It took me a while to realize it anyway.I use to always look in magazines and wonder "how tall is she I wonder"? "how much does she weigh"? That was about 4 yrs ago when I thought the number on the scale was the big picture and I was constintly comparing myself to other.Now I just compare myself to ME!LOL
Like my mom weighs less then me and she would be soooooooo happy to know that BUT she would not be able to fit my jeans up over her thighs.But to her that wouldn't matter cause she strictly goes by the scale.
Anyways....I currently weigh 127.5 @ 5'3" 1/4 (I can't leave that bit out :) ) and the last time I took my BF % it was 13.9.Since this I have lost about 7 lbs with the hussle and bussle of christmas so it is probably lower then that now.I am happy at this weight but I really didn't enjoy being at 135.My clothes were to tight and I was uncomfortable.But it goes to show that most of it is in our minds b/c no one notices when I gain or lose.So I think I only look different to myself.
Lori:)

well you have a right to your opinion but as a woman, if you say your weight doesnt matter to you I think your fooling yourself. yes bodyfat and size should be more important but we all at some time or another let that number bother us. every girl i know isnt happy about the number on the scale. since i discovered how great muscle looks on a womans body i am learning to look at getting more leaner and worry less about the number on the scale but I do have days where my mind slips back and gets bummed about the number on the scale. i know i am not obese but i want to be the best that i can be for me. not my husband,not my friends or anyone else but for me!i am sorry that you dont have body issues and i think that is wonderful, i wish i didnt, but you dont have to put someone down who does. this forum is for help and guidance, at least that is what i thought. by the way on another post that you commented on, i was complenting you on how great you looked and asked you what your workout plan was. anyway some of your points are true , i just think you need to get them across a little differently. merry christmas! Laura

>well you have a right to your opinion but as a woman, if you
>say your weight doesnt matter to you I think your fooling
>yourself. yes bodyfat and size should be more important but we
>all at some time or another let that number bother us. every
>girl i know isnt happy about the number on the scale.

Let's not generalize ok. I do NOT own a scale. The number doesn't mean diddily squat to me. Do I want to feel good and look good...YES, sign me up. But if I look good at 130 or 140 or 120 or 100...who cares what the number is? I have not owned a scale in almost 10 years now.

Colleen

>well you have a right to your opinion but as a woman, if you
>say your weight doesnt matter to you I think your fooling
>yourself. yes bodyfat and size should be more important but we
>all at some time or another let that number bother us. every
>girl i know isnt happy about the number on the scale. since i
>discovered how great muscle looks on a womans body i am
>learning to look at getting more leaner and worry less about
>the number on the scale but I do have days where my mind slips
>back and gets bummed about the number on the scale. i know i
>am not obese but i want to be the best that i can be for me.
>not my husband,not my friends or anyone else but for me!i am
>sorry that you dont have body issues and i think that is
>wonderful, i wish i didnt, but you dont have to put someone
>down who does. this forum is for help and guidance, at least
>that is what i thought. by the way on another post that you
>commented on, i was complenting you on how great you looked
>and asked you what your workout plan was. anyway some of your
>points are true , i just think you need to get them across a
>little differently. merry christmas! Laura

Laura, I agree that women tend to get fixated on the number on the scale. I'm no therapist, but what works for a lot of women is to not use a scale at all! I go by how my clothes fit, what my abs look like (extra weight goes there first!) and how I feel about my fitness level in general. I know that if I weighed myself regularly it wouldn't matter how great I looked or how much muscle I had, I would just be fixated on getting back to 99lbs, which is what I weighed at my smallest and least healthy!

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

your right, the days i weigh myself are the days i am more depressed about my body . when i dont weigh myself i am in better spirits with myself. i use to only weigh maybe once a week now that i am up in weight i have been weighing myself more and therefore ruining my day. i will go back to not weighing myself as much. thanks for remiding me of that.

i thought you looked great in your pictures. like someone says it depends on frame size, muscle etc... we cant compare ourselves to others. i just want to be the best i can be for me. i want and should be leaner. i am a work in progress, bare with me. i dont want to make anyone feel bad about themselves. i just look for you ladies for inspiration. i have looked at all of your picuters and you all looke great. i just started cathe workouts and am looking to see what results you all have had. and it looks like you all have had great results. that is all i am trying to strive for. thanks

according to that site you recommended, i am within my range on weight but it said my ideal weight should be around 117 which is what i was figuring. i would be okay at 120lbs though. but a lean 120lbs is what i want, not just the weight loss. i want to become more sculpted and defined in the upper body and hamstring area. thanks for your advice

I also find my body is most happy at a certain weight. Even after a year off from working off I was within 4 lbs. My best weight is 112 and I'm 5 2. I was 114 at the dr with clothes.

I've been at this weight for about 20 yrs (minus the 2 pregnancies)!

My daughter is struggling with her weight (sophmore in college). It's so tough to see the anguish it brings her. She did great this summer on WW, but didn't have it at school.

I know what you are talking about the scale playing with your head! I also took the advice of alot of people on this forum and did away with my scale. I totally go by my clothes and how they fit and my measurments I take once a week. I love the advice I received when i posted a similiar post a few weeks ago( sorry I forgot who it was that posted this) but comparing yourself to gym balls would you rather be light and bigger as a stability ball or small and heavier like a medicine ball? I chose the medicine ball myself:) . To be added in I am 5'4 140lbs 16%bf and currently wear a size 6. measurements are chest-35 waist-26 hips-35 thigh-20 3/4.

Laura-

I think you are TOTALLY misreading Sarah's comments. I don't think she is putting you down at all. I think that Sarah is saying that when you start to think "I'm disgusting" you should stop yourself from thinking so negatively and replace those thoughts with positive thoughts about yourself. I think she is saying that putting yourself down is not going to get you anywhere you want to be. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Sarah).

I also think that this is excellent advice, and it is advice to pay close attention to because it comes from someone who has been very successful in reaching her own fitness goals. I suggest you drop your defensiveness and start taking notes!

HTH,
Nancy

I am the same height and weight (5'4" and 140 lbs), but most of mine is in my stomach, so I am more of a size 10 or 8. Interesting how different the same height and weight can be...

I also have given up the scale, as it just messes with my head!

Jenn

Thank you Nancy, I work real hard for it too usually 12hrs per week in the gym(6cardio/6strength training). I really do think the scale number is funny. Just this summer I weighed 132 lbs but was at least a 1" to 1 1/2 bigger on all measurments and wore a size 8. It is amazing that I can gain eight pounds and go down a size:7

Nancy has it right...that is how I meant it. However, Nancy also knows that I was not born with an editting device.LOL!! Thank You Nancy.

"well you have a right to your opinion but as a woman, if you say your weight doesnt matter to you I think your fooling yourself."

I don't think I am fooling myself. There was a time that I did wish it was lower but after looking at the numbers, I know that means I would have to sacrafice muscle (which is a metabolism booster) and sacrafice performance....no thanks! I weigh myself from time to time but only when I am on top of the world. I look at the number and think "That must be exactly where I need to be". Still, I weigh myself maybe 4 times a year and that is only because it is required for body fat measurement.

"i am sorry that you dont have body issues..."

I'm not sorry I don't have body issues...don't feel sorry for me.

..."but you dont have to put someone down who does. this forum is for help and guidance, at least that is what I thought."

That is what this forum is for. I bet you that if you followed my suggestions it would get you further than any other advice. You have to think about yourself more positively if you want the changes to be positive. You'll never get there beating yourself up. If I insulted you by suggesting you be nicer to yourself, then I apologize, it was not my intent. I was just trying to encourage you to stop insulting yourself.

"by the way on another post that you commented on, I was complenting you on how great you looked and asked you what your workout plan was."

I missed it. Feel free to pm me..that is where I answer the personal questions, that way I don't tie up everyone elses threads.

The scale is just plain evil.....but I still obsessed even though I know I shouldn't even get on the darn thing. I think, Laura, it has so much to do with our size(height wise).....so few pounds on our small frames just look like so much more. I am only 5ft nothing on a good day...more like 4ft 11.5, I now weigh about 115, which I am generally happy with, but man this summer all I did was gain less than 5 pounds and nothing fit...made me very depressed for a very long time. The other thing that bugged me was that I until this past summer, weighed only about 112(which I loved and all my clothes fit(even a smaller size than I wear now)....but I can not seem to get back there, and have finally come to realize that perhaps that is just not where I should be. My current weight seems easy to maintain without sacrificing too much(I am such a foodie) and my life is so busy right now that I know I need to cut myself some slack and get back down to business in the New Year. I think our taller Cathe friends can "spread" a little weight around more...and it doesn't show so much on their frames.....but it probably bugs them just as much.....evil, evil scales. The website Nancy mentioned was great.....80% of the women in my age/height group weigh more than I do.....Take Care, Donna.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.