Heart Rate Monitors

Hi..I have used a Heart Rate Monitor for about 10 years. I seem to stick with Polar and have 3 models. The one I am using now (the other ones need new batteries!) is an old one. Its an Accurex II and they don't make it anymore. The other 2 are the M21 and the S120. You can get more info on their site www.polarusa.com ....:)...Carole

I've been seriously thinking about using a heart rate monitor for a while. The one I'm looking at is the Polar M61 model which has a calories burned option. That's something I'd really like to have. It's $144 on amazon but I haven't even shopped around for the best price yet. I read somewhere that the Polar models are supposed to have the most comfortable chest straps that fit snuggly even if you're small. I really wouldn't want to even know it was there while I was working out since it would annoy me, I'd take it off and that would defeat the whole purpose!

i originally bought a polar A5 to use for working out. however now i use my polar S720i since it starts recording calories burned at 90 instead of 100.

While there are other very good HRM brands, an advantage of Polar is that many gyms have cardio equipment that reads a Polar. So if you have your chest band on, you can read you heart rate on the equipment display rather than trying to check your wrist.

An advantage of non-Polar HRM's is that they seem to pick up less interference from other HRM's. I used DH's Polar in spin classes because it had a backlight but it would get some misreads. Like a heart rate of 200 while warming up, & then a HR of 50 during intervals. DH used to get some pretty high readings as we coasted down a hill past the med school when we lived on a college campus.

But honestly, Polar is still the gold standard.

Debra

I am very small chested...:)...and the strap fits quite comfortably under my sprots bra...they have made sports bras that the chest strap fits right into. I had seen them at www.roadrunnersports.com . Mine seems to stay without a problem though and they are adjustable....:)...Carole

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.