Has your 1RM ever been WAY off???

My 1RM has been pretty true this entire series EXCEPT in Meso 2 biceps, when it comes to any curls on the stability ball. I'm assuming since this is in the latter part of the session, my arms are totally spent, but my 80% of 1RM today was supposed to be 25 lbs (incline curls on a stability ball). I know, on a GOOD day, I can curl 20 lbs standing. There was no way I could even do 20 at this point in the program, especially in that position, and barely managed with 15s. Anyone else find their 1RM calculation to be way off?

Stacy

Stacy,

First off, wow on curling 20lbs :eek:. My bi's are the little weaklings of my muscles groups :(.

I'm surprised no one answered this :confused:. I'm certain it's a common problem amongst fellow STS'ers. Personally, I tried my hardest to lift the 5% increases and stick to the 1RM, but the #'s were not set in stone. Sometimes I was able to go higher, and sometimes lower, depending on the time of day, how much energy I had, which exercises were performed, how exhausted my muscles were, ect.

Regarding incline curls on the stability ball, those are a different animal than standing curls. Perhaps your original 1RM (on the ball) was not accurate? You typically would go lower in weight #'s for those, than you would for standing curls, concentration curls, barbell curls, ect. My advice? By all means challenge yourself with the 1RM, but don't get all bent out of shape if you can't hit those #'s. The most important thing is being able to challenge yourself while maintaining good form. If you are struggling with your last reps, you know you are in a good place ;)

Natasha

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.