Has STS ruined you?

I think that wearing a 20 lb weighted vest throughout CLX made all the difference in the world for me. My legs are strong and adding the weight allowed me to get my upper body weight right while still challenging my lower body.
Plus, I saw nice changes in my legs from working my legs three times a week with CLX. I have to add a second leg workout in for STS. The challenge is to find the right weight for upper and lower body.

Plus, I added pushups to CLX, but I add pushups to all my weight workouts that don't have enough of them (even Cathe's).

I like them both....apples and oranges. JMHO:).

Did you do CLX after completing STS?

I loved CLX before STS. I thought I could go back to it but was sadly mistaken. It just doesn't have the same intensity.

SNM posted something in response to working a body part once a week. It's not how many times a week you work a body part, it's how intense you work it..

I added Plyo Legs as a second leg day in meso cycle 1, but for hypertrophy I felt one leg day would be better. I was getting enough leg work from my kickboxing and hi/lo workouts.

CLX was perfect for me prior to STS. All I'm saying is that I've outgrown the program as-is.
I'm using Cathe's 10lb vest. I have a heavier vest, but it's so uncomfortable!

Funny, I just bought CLX, on ebay so I didn't pay nearly full price, but I also just started a second round of STS using the undulating rotation discussed on the STS boards.

I'm still curious to try out CLX at some point, but honestly, STS may have really ruined how I feel about other weight workouts. I tried out PUB/PLB bonus combo before I started my second round, and really got a little bored during it, and just have no desire to other weight workouts, at least for now. I'm thinking after the second round of STS, I may have a change of heart and want to inject something new, but not right now.

I am adding in a light full body workout when possible like the Squeeze stronger into this rotation, and I'll try out Amy's KB dvd, it's a shame to just let it sit there.

I think in like 2 years or so, getting an STS Strength 2 would be perfect. I suppose by then Cathe will dream up some new awesome workout series anyway. ;)

I just did Burn Circuit 2 this morning. It's the 2nd workout in the series. Okay, now that one I felt! I liked that she said at the very beginning to pick a weight that challenges the upper body. I was glad to come to the end of the workout. Looking forward to the first cardio & abs workout tomorrow.

Cheers,
Sandra

I don't know yet because I'm just starting M2, but I think so. It's an incredible program and I have no idea how even Cathe herself will ever top it! It's about as close to perfection as you can get. ;)

Do you all think that STS has replaced Cathe's other weighted workouts or is this still a place in your rotations for Gym Styles, Pyramids, etc.? Just curious whether I should bother getting these or just spring for STS instead?

Like Cynthia, I am using CLX as prep for STS possibly in the future, and CLX just right for me at this point.

If all you can afford is STS and nothing else, get STS because there is nothing like it on the market, and that includes CLX. However, after finishing STS(which I did today), I am longing to do some full body work-outs instead of splits, so will be using some of those for a couple of months, before heading back into STS.

I was going to add the weighted vest to CLX but wonder if going light for legs isn't the point of the workout. I don't want to go too heavy and work legs three days/week! I am currently doing the program as designed (no weighted vest). If, when I get to Lean, I feel I should heavy it up, I may wear one for one or two a week. I am determined that since I spent the money, I am going to do the rotation (whether I like it or not)!!

Carrie

If all you can afford is STS and nothing else, get STS because there is nothing like it on the market, and that includes CLX.

While I do agree with what you are saying (STS does rock), I don't think I would compare it to CLX or CLX to it (not saying you directly are doing that, that just seems to be the way this conversation has gone). They are completely different programs with different approaches. It's apples to oranges. Just my .02.

Last edited:
But I guess my question is if you buy STS, do Cathe's other weighted workouts become unnecessary? I don't have the Gym Styles, for example which I had thought about buying. But if I get STS should I not even bother with buying any her other weighted workouts? Hope that is clear!

But I guess my question is if you buy STS, do Cathe's other weighted workouts become unnecessary? I don't have the Gym Styles, for example which I had thought about buying. But if I get STS should I not even bother with buying any her other weighted workouts? Hope that is clear!

I don't necessarily think so. I won't want to do STS as a system over and over again over a year. I will do other rotations and work outs but return to it. I have all of Cathe's dvd's and love them all. I am definitely not selling any of the other Cathe strength training dvd's I have. I think the Gym Style series is ALWAYS a good investment...as is PUB and PLB.

Carrie

I don't necessarily think so. I won't want to do STS as a system over and over again over a year. I will do other rotations and work outs but return to it. I have all of Cathe's dvd's and love them all. I am definitely not selling any of the other Cathe strength training dvd's I have. I think the Gym Style series is ALWAYS a good investment...as is PUB and PLB.

Carrie
I won't be getting rid of my other Cathe strength training workouts either! I LOVE Power Hour, ME, MM, Supersets & Push Pull, S & H, and most especially the 4-Day Split!

I don't see how this is possible. If you are lifting heavy enough, you should be able to make ANY reasonable program work for you. Heck, I am doing Biggest Loser work outs and they are workin' for me! They are created for more of a beginner/intermediate exerciser and I am advanced. I just use the appropriate weight amount for the lifting, or, in the case of cardio, I just ramp it up in speed or intensity. I am getting a great work out!

I do not own STS and have been on both sides of the fence about getting it for a while now so take what I've said with a grain of salt but if I can do CLX and then scale down to Biggest Loser work outs and still find them challenging, I don't see why you couldn't do that with other work outs after STS.

Just my thoughts...take em or leave em! :p

Last edited:
They are two different programs. One is for weight loss, the other is strength. I'm not comparing them. What I'm saying is that STS has taken my fitness level up a notch and CLX is just not challenging enough for me.

I understand it is all about how much you lift. But, how many sets play a role in a person's fitness level too. STS has taught me the value in resting in between sets too. At first, I wanted to fast forward to the next exercise but then realized the rest is allowing me to do another set with the same heavy weight.

CLX offers one set of flat bench chest presses and that is just not enough.
I am choosing the heaviest weight I can handle safely for 10-12 reps, but I need more sets. Failure doesn't mean you can't do more sets with proper muscle recovery.

Cathe has us doing wave loading, back off sets and drop sets(both incline and flat bench)
I am choosing the heaviest weight I can handle safely for 10-12 reps, but I need more sets.

Gosh, I need glasses! I quoted the wrong person!

Liann, I was responding to your message.

Wendy, I am ramping the program up. With more sets:)

Last edited:
I won't be getting rid of my other Cathe strength training workouts either! I LOVE Power Hour, ME, MM, Supersets & Push Pull, S & H, and most especially the 4-Day Split!

I'm not either!

Gym Styles are my favorite, and Pyramids was my first experience with Cathe. :)

I'll never get rid of my previous Cathe workouts! But I think I'll be using them differently now.

I did the third CLX workout today: Burn Intervals and Ab Burner. Yes, these workouts are beginning to layer on! Nice. I'm sure tomorrow's Burn Circuit 3 is going to feel the hardest of the three.

Does anyone have any thoughts about doing CLX as an undulating periodized program?

Wk 1: Burn Circuits 1-3
Wk 2: Push Circuits 1-3
Wk 3: Lean Circuits 1-3
Wk 4: rest

Repeat 2 or 3 times.

Maybe I'll ask this in a new thread.

Sandra

I have to agree with alot of what has been said here. I did CLX before starting STS and I do agree that it really helped prepare me for STS. I was planning on another CLX rotation for the shorter workouts during the summer months - but ntot as excited about starting them. I do really like Chalene and the workouts - but STS just took it too another level for me.

I would never trade any of my Cathe DVD's either. I am looking forward to doing some of the circuits and full body workouts again. I miss my Boot Camp with the weights sections - and MM and other circuits where I have been having to skip the weights.

I am planning on doing a 6 month STS rotation when the STS cardio comes out! I cant wait for that!!!!

Sandra I am doing the same as you and did my B & I and ab burner today and am starting to feel it. I am actually looking forward to seeing what tomorrow's will be like. My only thing is I am afraid it is going to be hard doing Burn Circuit for 4 weeks! But I am liking CLX better than I did after BC 1. I really liked the B & I. It was fun and longer also. I find the 30 min workouts disconcerting. I am sort of just getting into it and it is over.

Hi All

I have to agree with you all. I completed STS a few weeks ago and I'm feeling completely lost now. I tried CLX for a bit but it just didn't compare. I've decided to join the local gym so I can continue with heavy weight work. I think its time for a change. But I will keep doing Cathe cardio and come back to weights after a time working out at the gym.

I felt really sad about finishing STS it was the only rotation I completed from start to finish and I loved every minute of it.

Laura
xx

better educated

Hi,

I don't have CLX, but I do have several other programs and many other dvds, mostly Cathe, and I will not be getting rid of anything. I may think about my lifting differently, but for me, variety is the spice of life. I'll do STS once a year, and some other programs, once a year, and fill in with misc dvds for fun/maintenance. I don't want to ruin the fun factor for any of the programs that I have and too much of any one thing is not good for me.

Tracy

yep, know what ya mean, cynthia. i don't even want to do any other weight workouts. is that a bad thing? i mean, will our muscles adapt? i LOVE sts.

STS 2 SOUNDS GREAT!!!!!! (hint,hint,cathe):)
cathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.