Handling difficult people (long)

Yvanna

Cathlete
Hello ladies,

I am hoping that you might some insight in ways of dealing a very difficult SIL-to-be.

I find myself dreading her visits or family functions because one never knows the mood she will be in. She is the type of person that gets very angry if you disagree with her - likes to be critical of others (behind their backs) and enjoys taking pots shots at others expense. Part of it is her humour. She likes to take jabs or make jokes that really border on criticism. She also likes to give unsolicited advice. She is not someone who can take the behaviour if dished back at her. And - we have had run-ins in the past - when I have tried to get her to stop meddling in my life - and she ended up turning it around and feeding SO a bunch of bull - about how hurt she was by my reaction, and felt that I didn't like her or respect the fact that she is his sister. (Yes - arrogance and manipulative can be added to the mix).

The flip-side of this - is that I know deep down she has a good heart - and is easily hurt. She struggles with depression - and has had some unfortunate things happen to her, as well as having made some mistakes. My only analysis is that she is bitter - is insecure about herself and her appearance - and is quite jealous.

I recognize that she is going to be family - and know that she won't be unavoidable. ie - I will see her during holidays - family birthdays etc. My SO is the type that ignores her behaviour - or will tell her sternly to cut it out when things get out of hand. I - on the other hand cannot help but get very offended - and defensive when she starts up. Sometimes I just stew for several days afterwards even though I don't want to let it get to me.

I think part of the problem is that I tend to be quiet - and I think sometimes that people who are quiet are mistaken for meek/pushovers.

So - how does one resolve to handle her without getting upset. I don't want to be petty - and stoop to her level. I simply want to be able to cut her off when she starts - and stand my ground - graciously and unoffensively - and avoid getting worked up over it.
I accept that this is who she is - won't ever change.. I have no interest in being her best buddy... I just want to learn to manage my own feelings of anger when faced with her behaviour.

This is a long post - thanks for reading - and thanks in advance for any advice.

Yve.

Such a drag for you to be in this situation, but many of us deal with family, coworkers, neighbors, etc with the same types of behavior. Funny, before I got to the "flip-side" paragraph, I was thinking lack of self esteem.

Learn to take deep breaths and try to just let her talk. If she is really getting to you, try to find a way to remove yourself from the situation or just let her know you don't wish to discuss others if they are not present or don't like to discuss others period.

Not sure if it will work, but those are the types of things I do to keep from having to bite my tongue. (With a career in HR I am getting really good at listening and not commenting back);)

The more you practice, the easier it gets . . .

Best of luck to you :7

I really don't have any advice, as I find myself in similar situations sometimes, with the same feelings. I just wish you luck and send ya some hugs.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

New pics added in July 25 2006 and Fitness album!!!!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-but3/lb/203/145/151/.png[/img] [/url]

http://www.picturetrail.com/megadoo2

You are describing my Sister in law!!! I avoid her and thereby avoid conflict. I choose my words carefully and am polite to her. that's all you can do. remember that she is basically an unhappy person but from experience I will tell you that I doubt she will change. So my advice is to tread lightly and surround yourself with people that lift you up the other 99% of the time!

Lisa

Thanks ladies,

for your kind words, and all the hugs.

I guess practicing the uh-huhs will, over time, make it easier. I just wish I had a thicker skin..Maybe that - with time - will come also :eek:

Yve.

I feel for you! Just hold on to your dignity and don't stoop to her level. Others see her just as you do. I mean, it's not as if she is sweet to everyone else and manipulating you or something, right?

I'm also quiet and people tend to think I'm stuck up or stand-offish when they first meet me. Not true! I just don't know what to say until I get to know you. If you are like me you're also sensitive and will stew over hurtful words for days. Chances are she doesn't realize what she does to you. I guess this hasn't been very helpful but maybe if you just act like the stuff she says and does doesn't get to you at all, like you don't even notice...I'm interested to see what others say about this one.

Good luck!

Are your sure that your SIL and my SIL aren't one and the same? Mine is the exact same way. In fact, after being married to my brother for over 18 years, so has "removed" herself from my family, and no longer speaks to my father, my sister, myself and our families. She has five brothers and sisters, only speaks to two, and has no contact with her own parents.

After trying MANY times to extend the olive branch to her (as recently as this past weekend), hoping that she would get over whatever she was angry about, she has not taken hold. It took me a long time to realize that she has a LOT of problems - jealousy and insecurity her biggest - and that it's not up to me to be her punching bag, nor therapist.

I'm sure I didn't help you any, but just wanted you to know that we all have those whacky in-laws!

Yve,
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said she's got some issues -- someone who's secure with herself doesn't have to take digs at others constantly -- and that is the thing you have to keep in mind when dealing with her. She would be all too happy if she knew she were getting to you -- that's the whole point of her antics. Make you feel bad and she feels better. I know you don't want drama, so I would say ignore what you can, and nip it in the bud when you feel a need to. But keep your cool at all times - laugh it off, dimiss it, just don't show her she's getting to you. And then let it go, really -it's not worth the time & energy to stew. BTW, I know you said you don't want to become her best friend, but you might find your relationship improves if you work a little PR into it. Give a (genuine) compliment now and then. It's not always easy, but regardless of what she does, you can at least feel good knowing you've taken the "high road."

Hi Yve,

My husband is from a large family with 2 brothers and 6 sisters. Two SIL's are very difficult and mean spirited. We get together often so I'd like to share what I have learnt. First, I know I can be polite for how ever many hours we are together. I am mentally prepared for 1, 2 or more hours we spend together. I stay away from deep or controversial subjects. I keep things light and use LOTS of humor. I don't take sides when they talk negatively about others in the family and usually respond to such talk with, "Interesting", "Sounds like a tough situation", "Can't get any worse, things will get better".

I don't allow myself to be in an exclusive conversation by having othes join in or ask what someone else in the close vacinity has to add to what is being said.

When all else fails, I will excuse myself to use the rest room or get something to drink.

And 1 glass of wine before get togethers helps also!

Hope this helps. Hang in there!

Laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.