Hammer Punches

judilicious

What is the primary focus when doing hammer punches? At 5'8" it is very difficult for me to bend both my knees at 90 degree angles. I would rather not do them than do them incorrectly.

Please reply Judy

The punches themselves work the triceps nicely (If you're talking about the actual "hammer punch" where you strike down with the edge of the hand...Cathe also calls punches aimed downward "hammer punches" even though they are regular-type punches where you aim with your knuckles). Cathe sometimes combines them with a lunge, which makes them more dynamic, keeps an aerobic component to them, and burns more calories. Is that what you're refering to when you talk about bending your knees?

I don't know why it would be difficult for you to bend your knees to a 90 degree angle because of your height, but with any squat or lunge move, just go down to as far as you comfortably can. Your range of motion will improve.

thank you Kathryn, I am referring to thsoe punches. I am at work right now and I practiced doing them slowly and I was able to bend my knees. I was doing them incorrectly since I never really felt a benifit. Just doing a few at work I was out of breath. Thanks again

Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.