Gym Styles, STS Meso 3 or P90X?

mmis29

Cathlete
I'm so on the fence! After getting S&H and loving it, I need more slow & heavy lifting! I have already done CLX and loved that too but it wasn't difficult enough.

While S&H is great, I would like something more challenging, especially in the upper body area, preferrably without being completely push up and pull up oriented...the downside to P90x and GS Chest.

Anything else out there that uses slow, controlled movements, heavy weights and low reps?

based upon what ur criteria is....then meso 3 would be more of what u would like...b/c in meso three i don't think there are any push ups or pull ups in that one....and it is VERY heavy lifting...so it's tough....or as tough as u make it.....and yes in the GSs and the p90x there a lots of push ups...and pull ups in p90x....HTH:)

Do you have the Pyramid Upper/Lower DVD? Meso 3 is awesome. It was the one portion of STS I wasn't looking forward to, but am really enjoying it now.

If I were you, I would just get the whole STS. Even though some of the lifting is faster...I think you would totally enjoy it. I love lifting too and it is totally great.

I am thinking about starting it again pretty soon.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the responses all :)

I do have the pyramids. Great workouts, but the # of reps kills me, which is why I think I have such dread factor with a lot of strength workouts. The "let's do 100 bicep curls with 10 pounders" kinda feel drives me nuts! Give me 20's or 25's and only make me do say 15 reps lol

Even Meso 3 from the clips seems to have lots of reps...unless I'm wrong. 4 sets of each exercise :( I may end up with P90x and use the door attachment since pull ups are totally out of my ability level at this point.

Hi mmis29,
On the STS Meso 3, for upper body you do 4 sets, 8 reps each exercise for week 1.
On week 2 you do 4 sets, 7 reps each exercise, increasing weight by 5% from week 1!
On week 3 you do 4 sets, 6 reps each exercise, increasing weight by 5% from week 2!
On week 4 you do 4 sets, 8 reps each exercise, increasing your weight by 5% from week 1!

For legs, the plyo legs alternate between weights & plyo! The average # of reps for the weights is 12 reps & 70%!
For the squat rack legs, warmup sets ave 12 reps at 50% of your 1RM & the workout is 8 reps & 4 sets at 80% for week 1, 7 reps & 4 sets at 85% for week 2, 6 reps & 4 sets at 90% for week 3, & finally 8 reps & 4 sets at 90% for week 4!

Hope this helps with the STS!
Cathy

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses all :)

I do have the pyramids. Great workouts, but the # of reps kills me, which is why I think I have such dread factor with a lot of strength workouts. The "let's do 100 bicep curls with 10 pounders" kinda feel drives me nuts! Give me 20's or 25's and only make me do say 15 reps lol

Even Meso 3 from the clips seems to have lots of reps...unless I'm wrong. 4 sets of each exercise :( I may end up with P90x and use the door attachment since pull ups are totally out of my ability level at this point.

MMIS29 - I have just private messaged you but basically I have P90X and have never used it and would be willing to sell it you for less than the original cost.
Let me know
Elena

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.