Go wear Fit...another question

dmd

Cathlete
My brother is on the brink of buying a gowearfit and currently uses a Polar F11 heart rate monitor. Could he use both at the same time? He is curious as to how accurate his hrt rate monitor is. Would their be any problems with signals etc.? Thanks~deb

I use the F11 all the time with mine. When I did comparisons, the GWF was lower in the calories than the Polar. I think that the fact GWF does not measure HR is why. If you are not a really warm person(my body temp is always low, not my personality), and it measures by heat, this would explain it.

I wear both too (I have the F11) and have no complaints- seems to work fine. I also get lower readings from the GWF but don't really worry about it. I am mostly using my HRM for cardio these days just to see what % of my max HR I am doing at the moment.

I use the F11 all the time with mine. When I did comparisons, the GWF was lower in the calories than the Polar. I think that the fact GWF does not measure HR is why. If you are not a really warm person(my body temp is always low, not my personality), and it measures by heat, this would explain it.

Thanks Dorothy for this...So, in your experience do you find GWF more accurate? You have worn them at the same time, right? And, by the way are you a teacher? I remember that you mentioned that someone in a class noticed your GWF. I'm reeling from this thing...I just don't totally get the science behind it. I'm a bit concerned about wearing it in my Bikram Yoga class because of the warning not to wear in extreme temperatures. I mean c'mon, I live in the Ca. central Valley and while running it could be 105+ outside. Bikram yoga is 90 mins. in a 105-108 degrees with sweat just drip,drip, dripping onto your toweled mat. The caloric expenditure is supposed to be over 500-800 cals. in an hour. I've never measured with a HRM and am afraid to take my GWF into a class. Anyway, just rambling outloud. Need coffee :).Here goes day two with this thing....thanks for your input! ~deb

I wear both too (I have the F11) and have no complaints- seems to work fine. I also get lower readings from the GWF but don't really worry about it. I am mostly using my HRM for cardio these days just to see what % of my max HR I am doing at the moment.

Interesting to know that heart rate over the heat expended would be so different. Even though I've read the science behind GWF I'm still scratching my head! My son says that having this thing on makes my movements more "animated" just cracked me up! ~deb

I've used it with my Polar55, and no troubles so far. I like the polar HRM for interval training.

Hi shadowpup, I never thought about interval training and the GWF. I could see how a HRM would give you immediate recovery info over the GWF. How have you liked your GWF? deb

Deb: I don't know which one is more accurate and I guess it doesn't matter in the long run. I think the GWF is pretty good at calorie expenditure from the standpoint of me losing weight while I've had it. ;) I go by what it says calorie-wise and eat accordingly. It's awesome!

I really love the GWF! I've had it a couple of months now, and wear it almost constantly.

My sense is still that the GWF that it is more accurate than the Polar for lower HR activities - the kind that put you in the 3-4 Met or below range. It's easier to use for those, too, since you can just slip it on/off, and I love that it keeps me honest about how active I am during the day. Turns out that some days I was barely moving, even though I felt exhausted. I have varied on a workweek days from 1400 to 2300 calories burned, which is quite a difference! Polar is supposed to be accurate down to a HR of 80, and sitting at the computer I drop well below that :eek:

The Polar 'seems' more accurate for interval work - but whether or not it is, I like to see the HR change when I'm doing those workouts and the cumulative MET changing doesn't incentivize me as much.

The GWF doesn't work well at all for horseback riding (counts my horses steps and energy) or for stationary bike riding; but I take it off at those times and use the online function at the GWF site to enter in my best guess or my Polar 55 reading, whichever seems more appropriate.

Usually my GWF reads higher than my Polar, until I've been working out for awhile in a relatively steady state, and then they merge (once I subtract out resting metabolic rate).

My greatest successes with GWF so far has been to significantly improve my sleep patterns :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.