Gliding Discs for STS

I just got the discs for my birthday and like them a lot.

I agree about the ab routine being challenging - the core work was very, very hard for me. Planks with your feet on the gliding discs moving in all different directions. :eek:

Erica

Hi Erica, have you tried Mindy's All About Abs. Ugh, . .she kills me with those push up one arm plank things. I feel like an idiot falling all over the place. Then again my core has always been my weakest body part.

You can use Valslides. Check out valslides.com or amazon.com.

Target carries Valslides. They are on clearance now. VFers found them for half price $12.98. Ours still at $17.48.

I have those puzzle mats on my basement floor where I work out.
Does anyone know if the gliding discs will work on puzzle mats?
Hardwood or carpet ones?

Mary:confused:

Hardwood or carpet ones?

I used to have puzzle mats, too. I'm afraid nothing works on them (paper or plastic plates, gliding discs... :().
I installed the PaviGym flooring and things got worse... LOL
I used to rub the plates on the sweat that dripped on the floor to make them slide!!!!! Pretty pathetic... :eek:
So I guess when the time comes and I have to work legs on STS, I will get a piece of carpet or plastic flooring, long enough for my tride and use that with the plates.

Chris.

Hardwood or carpet ones?

The hardwood floor Gliding Discs work to some extent, but there is more resistance (which could be beneficial for some moves, but risky on the knees for others). I recommend picking up a short-pile carpet remnant to use when doing the 'paper plate' moves. That's what I do when I have my puzzle mats down, and it works fine.

I don't have carpeting. Will Super Sliders work on flat surfaces (like smooth flat tile flooring)?

I've been using a plastic lid from a large tupperware bowl (probably similar to the size of a frizbee). It works great and is sturdy, so it doesn't slip and catch on imperfect surfaces. Plus, the lip around the edge seems to help my foot stay on more firmly. You might give this a go, if you don't have a frizbee handy.

For Christmas my mom gave me the valslides. They work pretty well and are of a good size for feet. Don't buy them off the valslide website. She got them from amazon.com for $35. This is a bit more than the other slides people have referred to in this thread, but they are sturdy and well made. I can hardly wait to really put them to use in STS. I've noodled around with them and I'm pretty sure when I use them in STS, I will be feeling it!!

:D

Has anyone gotten the "gliding Discs" to use with STS yet? I have carpeting and so the paper plate thing doesn't work for me. I want to know if anyone has had any good results with them before I purchase!
Thank
Elena

Elana,
They work great!! (The ones for carpet)
Tammy

Yes, they do make Gliding Discs that will work on carpet. Furniture Movers like Super Sliders will also work great and are available at Walmart.

The furniture movers large work too, but your foot would slide off, where the sliders don't .
Tammy

Last edited:
For those who said that paper plates don't work well on carpet: I don't know why not. They are supposed to
I tried many brands none of them work well. they just don't slide well.
Tammy

Sliding plates that work really well

Hi
I was rooting around trying to find something that would work for the paper plates (they were not working on the carpet). I found some old hard plastic plates that I had for eating on the patio. They work great!

What is best on Harwoods?

Before I go ordering anything, I want to make sure I understand. I workout on harwood floors. I just tried a small peice of carpet 12"x12" face down and it seemed to slide really easily. Would there be any difference with the Gliding Disc for Hardwood floors or is this essentially the same. Sorry to beat a dead horse here!

just tried a small peice of carpet 12"x12" face down and it seemed to slide really easily. Would there be any difference with the Gliding Disc for Hardwood floors or is this essentially the same.

You might want to use rags instead, unless the carpet is very smooth (it might cause more wear on the floor than a rag would. And with the rag--microfiber or cotton or an old towel cut to size--will let you do double duty: working out and dusting the floor at the same time, LOL!)

Thanks for the great tips everyone. i just got a 6' x 4' carpet to put over my puzzle mats. Now all I need to do is buy some carpet gliding disc's, oh and do my 1 rep max (lol):eek:

I couldn't find Gliding Discs near me and I didn't want to buy them online. I did go to Walmart and had no joy on my search for Gliding discs and checked out the Super Slides used for moving furniture but they're too small. So, I opted for Frisbees I got them at walmart for a $1 ea. and I have paper plates too. I did try the frisbee's out when I got home and they do work for me on my carpet. I thought I'd share the news maybe someone else can find this info helpful too.

Hugs! STS will be here soon!:D

Nora

I bought the Gliding Disks for carpets, but don't expect to use them for a while as I don't start STS for a few months. They kind of scare me - the feeling that they could slide right out from under me and I could hit the floor.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.