Getting ready for DVDs -- question on equipment???

BeckyG

I'm getting prepared for these new DVDs! I see the recommended equipment includes both a stability and medicine ball.

How do I figure out what the best size/weight is? I just ran to Sport Mart and saw balls in 55cm, 65cm, and 75cm sizes. And the medicine balls ranged from 4 lbs to 12 lbs.

I'm 5'6", so it seemed like the 65cm stability ball is recommended? And the 6lb medicine ball felt pretty good, but SNM recommends 8...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Becky

Becky,
I've seen various size recommendations for stability balls, and 5'6"(which is also my height) seems to be the cut-off point, where some sources recommend 55 cm and other recommend 65 cm. It's possible to underinflate a 65 cm ball if it ends up being too tall, but it's dangerous to overinflate the 55 cm ball. The balls I have now are 55 cm, and my legs are at the parallel-to-the-ground position that is used as a guide for ball size. If you have particularly long legs, you might go for the 65 cm.

As for the medecine ball, if 6 pounds feels good to you, then stick with that. The "8# recommendation is just a general guideline. I sometimes add a medecine ball to my ab workouts "just for fun" (and because I bought an entire set of Ooof balls, from 2# to 9#) and even a 2# ball adds some effectiveness. Depending on what exerciss you are doing, you can change how much resistance the ball feels like by holding it in a different position. Ie: if you are doing crunches holding the ball on your chest, you can increase the resistance by holding it behind your head, and vice versa.

Thanks Kathryn, my legs are shorter, so it sounds like 55cm will do it. Knowing me, I'll probably end up with both sometime!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back