General protein shake recipes??

Marisa

Hi girls!

I read a post a few weeks ago about smoothie recipes and I printed it up because there were some great recipes on there- so thanks to all who posted.
Anyhow, I recently ordered a protein shake mix off of leanandstrong.com, thanks to one of you lovely ladies who posted this website (and let me just tell you, they have more shakes, bars, and mixes than I have ever seen)!! So, I ordered the Biotest Low Carb GROW! Protein Mix in Vanilla that again, was suggested by someone on this forum. I haven't yet received it, but should within the next few days, so I was hoping that some of you might have some good general recipes or things that you do to spice up your protein shakes. I almost ordered the chocolate flavor, but I instead decided to go with the Vanilla because I would really love to add fruit to my shakes to make them more tasty. Do any of you have any special things that you do (i.e. different types of fruits that you use, measurements of how much, ice cubes, whatever) to make them better??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks- Marisa

Marisa,
Here are some ideas that I use to spice things up when using vanilla...
- peanut butter or almond butter (up to 2 tbsp)
- coconut and rum flavorings together
- cold decaf coffee, sometimes with a little dash of cinnamon
- Crystal Lite, any flavor
- cold Chai tea

These pretty much aim for low carb, no dairy...but when in the mood, I also add soy milk, yogurt, fruit...

Enjoy!
Amy

Amy has given some really good suggestions, SO good that I don't know I have anything to add.

I have a protein shake every morning, usually made with strawberry-flavored powder, so what I add wouldn't necessarily work with the vanilla powder you have bought. But I use fruit ranging from bananas to strawberries to pineapples to peaches.

I always add some ice -- the amount depends on the consistency you're looking for and the size of the shake you desire.

Soy milk (flavored or original) works well with vanilla and chocolate protein powder.

There are LOTS of great smoothie recipe books available. If you plan on incorporating protein shakes into your diet on a regular basis, you might want to consider investing in one! A great resource!

Happy blending!

You will LOVE that Grow! I often add berries to mine or bananas and to make it even thicker and more malt-like, I often add sugar-free pudding to it, w/fruit and ice too and blend. After its blended I add Flax oil and stir in it. Voila! :)

Lots of things you can do w/it, but that's pretty much my formula because I'm watching sugar intake.

ps: The Da Vinchi sugar-free syrups are great too in your shakes.

I love Netrition cause they're fast, reliable and no matter how much you order, the shipping is always 4.95!

Here's a couple ideas... but keep in mind I favor chocolate flavored ones;)

Vanilla
-1/3 pineapple/orange juice
-1/3 skim milk
-1/3 water
-1 to 2 cups of ice
-banana

Other good ingredients for vanilla:
-cinnamon
-dab of vanilla extract
-hand full of nuts
-frozen or fresh fruit of any kind

Chocolate:
-1/3 skim milk
-2/3 water
-1 tsp peanut butter (only takes a teeney bit to add flavor)

Other good ingredients for chocolate:
-banana
-raspberries

I mix them all first with just the liquids and protein shake mix. Then I add the fruits... then lastly I add about 1-2 cups of ice! Yummy yummy! Have fun!

Sometimes I put a couple tablespoons of flax seed in the bottom of the blender and grind it dry, then add the normal ingredients for the shake. Frozen banana chunks are good too. Bee pollen if you feel like wasting som money. ;)

Thanks girls for all of the great recipes!! Soon as I get my powder, I'll have to try a few of these.

Also- stupid question: What exactly is flax seed and what is it good for?? I've been reading so much about it on this forum, but never really knew what it was (well, I still don't).

Oh Mindi- I'm sure that I will end up liking GROW! Actually, I am trying that one out because of your suggestion :) . You originally suggested it to someone else on another post because it tastes cake-batter like, and it sounded yummy, so I jumped right on netrition.com that very same day that I read your post and ordered it. Thank you so much for the suggestion and I will definitely keep you posted on what I think! I am also going to order the chocolate flavor when I finish the vanilla off. What flavor do you have??

Thanks again ladies! I love your constant motivation, knowledge, and support!

Marisa ;)

I don't do any complex recipes, but I like to mix vanilla protein mixes with o.j. to make a "dreamsicle shake". Yum!

Hi Mindi!!

Tried my GROW! last night and loved it! I used a smoothie recipe that I had gotten off of another post and added 1 scoop of GROW! to it and really liked it! I ended up making a Strawberry Banana shake. It was good :9

Thank you so much for the link. I understand a lot more about flax now than I did before, but I'm still curious who uses it exactly. I mean.... I know that a lot of people use it, but it seems to me that it is used more by people who don't eat a lot of fish (is that right??) Just curious. I've never tried flax before, but I do eat a lot of fish. I love tuna and salmon. I also love shrimp, crab, lobster... all that good stuff. So if flax is used mostly by those who don't eat fish, well then I'm probably pretty safe in not using it (I hope)!

Marisa

I'm glad you like it! :)

Yes if you eat plenty of tuna, salmon, etc, you're most likely getting a good amount of necessary omegas. I tend to be up and down so I use the oil. Sometimes to make my fiber counts, I'll through ground flax seed in a salad or other foods too. Its a great source for both!

If you have more questions about Flax or Grow! or any other supplements, come by leanandstrong.com, there are several very experienced trainers, etc who post there, as well as nutritional folk who can answer your questions in more detail than I.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.