Foundation primer?

nancy324

Cathlete
I keep hearing about primers or "spackles" that you put on before applying your make-up base. The purpose is twofold: to keep your foundation on longer, and to fill in fine lines and wrinkles so you can't see them under the make-up, kind of like applying spackle to cracks in a wall before applying paint. Now that I'm at that age where lines and wrinkles are an issue (x( ) I'm getting curious about this stuff. Does anyone have any experiences with it?
-Nancy

DHC sent me a sample of this stuff and I tried it. It made my skin feel alot smoother but I didn't notice so much help with the wrinkles, (I have them on my forehead). I only tried it 2x and that is the only brand I have tried. Try a sample at the cosmetic counter before buying and see what it does for you. HTH
LD

I use one by Avon as my niece used to be a rep. My wrinkles are too deep for it to make much diff there but certainly it makes face a better "canvas" for my foundation ... I use bare minerals foundation (powder) so that could make a diff too.

Nancy-
I have used the Bobbi Brown face base lotion -- got it as a free sample -- and like it. It seems to smooth out my skin. In the past, I also tried Laura Mercier's face base and thought it worked well, but was a little too heavy for my skin type. I may invest in a regular size of the Bobbi Brown base once the sample runs out.

-Barb
:)

Nancy,

Just a couple of days ago I looked at your photo and thought what beautiful skin you have! I can't imagine that you would need the primer. Sorry I can't help you with advice on whether that stuff works--just wanted to say you look great without it.

MissL

MissL, you are so sweet! Thank you.

If you are referring to my avatar, which is the only pic I have up now, my make-up was done by a professional make-up artist that day (my stepson's wedding.) I was too nervous that day to pay attention to what he was doing, so for all I know, maybe I do have a primer on in that pic! LOL!! Maybe I should ask him.

-Nancy

I just started using Prep + Prime by MAC that I found discounted at an outlet store. I like it, it leaves a smooth surface and my foundation goes on smoother and stays on longer. I don't notice much in the improvement of wrinkles, but then again I'm only 29. Sephora.com always has Smashbox Photo Finish in their best sellers category - I've been curious to try that but wanted to try something cheaper first.

I didn't know Mac had that product, CurlyQ. I'll have to check it out. Yup, Smashbox is the one that has me curious too.
-Nancy

Nancy I use glo minerals. I had a chemical peel done and the plastic surgeon recommended Obagi skin care and glo minerals make-up.

I've tried so many other cosmetics, but I always seem to go back to glo minerals.

Obagi skin care is excellent for wrinkles, however it is made to work with retin- A cream. You would need to see a doctor for that;)

I dont use a primer, but I do use Bare Minerals and love it! I have thought about a primer (also getting more wrinkles!:-( ) but I hate to have another "step" to go thru in the morning.

Sherry

I use Smaxhbox Photofinish and love it. I also use Bare Minerals - the two seem to really work well together. It doesn't help so much with the wrinkles, but I have gi-normous pores on my nose which need it!

Liz

Smashbox Photofinish now comes with SPF 15 if that matters to anyone. Since there are so many steps to protect oneself and to look good at the same time. This one seems to do both.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about but I tried something called "Eraser" (I think) by Pure Luxe that made my skin feel soooo smooth and soft. It made my skin feel fantastic and was a great price!

Mary

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.