Form on floor work in GS legs

Rhea

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

Just did the floor work in GS legs (well, and pyramid) and I was surprised to be all over the place. My calves were just cramping away, I don't think I got much of a workout in the hamstrings. Is there a form tip or is it that with the stabilization, I'm going to have to work up the endurance in the calves? Can you "cheat" down to the ball being under the calves a bit? Or will that defeat the move? Thanks for your help and all the lovely soreness I'm now feeling from the strength rotation.

Hi Rhea G! It is not uncommon to cramp when new to these exercises because you are trying so hard to maintain balance that you are digging in with certain body parts and squeezing certain muscle groups to compensate. If you cramp, back off of the exercise and allow your muscle to relax for a bit. Also, try working your way up slowly by only tackling one of these stabilizing workouts at a time. Put some time between these type of workouts too so that your overworked muscles have time to recover and build up better endurance for balance challenge workouts. If you find greater comfort by adjusting your alignment on the ball, do that as long as you still feel the intended muscle group being challenged. As you gain more stability, eventually work your way toward doing it as shown.

Take Care!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.