For Aquajock.....

getnfit@39

Cathlete
Hey! :)

Last night I checked back on your threads to see if there was an update you may have posted about your hair and what you've decided to do and I saw that you're going tomorrow 3/1 to possibly get a cut.
I couldn't help but think of how much you've meant to me on this journey of mine, always making me feel fit and strong enough to tackle whatever workout gave me trouble, even rooting me on while I stumbled through Imax like an elephant in a china shop, and I asked myself, "now that she needs help, what could I possibly do to show her support?"
So I turned to my hubby (who was sitting in his lounge chair behind me playing his PS-2) and said, "tomorrow when you get home from work you're taking me to the Hair Cuttery in Wal-Mart and I'm getting my head shaved, GI Jane style! And I'll hear none of your sh-t on the subject!" And he says, "okay, I figured it was coming when you told me about your friend with the wig anyway!" MEN!?
So this morning after my workout, I took scissors and cut down to where I wouldn't clog up hubby's clippers, then took his clippers and using a #4 guard trimmed it close so that when I get to the Hair Cuttery there will be less to do (always looking for that bargain! :)) and easier to just buzz off the rest. I am going to leave a sprout or two on top just because I've always thought I'd like to try the "Grace Jones" crew cut deal, so other than the sprouts on top, it'll be GI Jane on the sides and in the back, so you're not alone, and although we're not exactly neighbors and you can't see the tribute to you, know when you do decide to cut your hair, you're not alone! Heck, it feels great already with just about 3/4" on my head, so I know it'll feel wonderful with the rest gone! :)
Talk about not being a slave to your hair! Oh~and no more bad hair days! :)
Thanks AJ for always being a strong support system for me, losing that weight was very hard at times, and getting through some of Cathe's workouts was torture at some weights, but you always stood firm and never said, "go easy, but rather, you can do it!" And I did! So this is my small way of giving something back to you for all you've given me. :)
There will be pictures! I just pray I have the head for this! :)

Donna
Fitness~ It's a journey, not a race!

Donna, this was truly beautiful.....brought tears to my eyes. There is intense love and caring that resounds from this site; that's all there is to say.

Briee

RE: For Donna

Seldom have I been so moved, and humbled.

Although the "Rain Of Hairor" continues apace for me, and I now have some truly amazing bald spots at the back of the sides of my head, the crown, the nape of the neck, and now little spot-lets at the forehead and temple area, DH is still not emotionally ready to see me buzz it off entirely. He may change his mind tomorrow when he sees how far along they really are (tomorrow's haircut day), but I don't know.

Thus, if you're feeling any ambivalence toward the Grace Jones look (and actually, I like Grace Jones a LOT more than I do Demi Moore - thanks for the pop-culture reminder!), please don't do it on my account alone, for I don't know if / when I'll be buzzed myself!

You too have been one of my inspirations. From the first time I cyber-encountered you, I was struck by your fire, your eyes-on-the-prize commitment, your honesty and your wicked smart style. I've labored to approach the Alopecia Epoch with humor and honesty, and I thank you for the example you've set.

I'm very moved right now. Thank you.

Annette

OMG Donna,
You are an angel sent from Heaven above! I am in awe of you! I had to read your post twice, and then things got blurry from the tears, and I had to read it again. I don't have anything poignant to say, but I do need to say you are one amazing woman! You are the embodiment of class, grace, and compassion.
In adoration,
Dawn

AJ...............

Heck no, no ambivalence here! And I'll have to get a pic to you just to show you that if nothing else, if a chick with a dome the size of mine can do it, you'll be stunning! :)

I can't imagine how you must feel, I can only assume that on some personal level it is devastating, but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger! So you'll walk away from this stronger for having gone through it, and again, I don't doubt with the physique I hear you have, you'll look absolutely fabulous.
Now, we just really got to get MY body to match my head! :) And by summer too! :) Arms out, head out, a peak of belly out! I might be too hot by then! :)

Stay strong,

Donna

I don't come out of my lurkdom very often but this post moved me to tears. I am very impressed with the level of comraderie the two of you have developed.

It's amazing how different life can be when it is viewed with a positive attitude.

You have both given me a very special thought to remember if I ever doubt the good in people.

Take care,
Mikie

You got me thinking....I could do this too! I'm always trying to kill two birds with one stone, and I could get a buzz cut as a show of support AND to solve a problem of really thin hair that I can't do anything with. I've long envied women who wear their hair like Susan Powter (remember her?), so maybe I'll do it too.

I went straight to the hair cutter this morning...

..and said, "I want it WAY short!" So now it's not military short, but it's "even short for a guy" short! It felt very liberating, and it felt great that I didn't give a hoot what anyone might say.

A-Jock, I daresay, most everyone will be thinking you are just strutting your individuality!

How are you doing, Miz Donna, is it all off yet?

HB....................

Okay~we could be setting a new trend! :)

I did it last night and I have to tell you I am not a bit sorry I did it!
I thought my hubby would pass out right in the salon, but he was okay! :)

You know, it's a freedom that's hard to put into words. But wig or cut A-Jock, we're here for you! :) You do what's right for you.

Note: But if you do go for the buzz, get a headband or 2, who knew hair stopped the sweat from rolling down your face during a workout?

Donna

p.s. Another plug for the buzz: It really brings out your shoulders! I swear I was standing in the mirror getting use to the "new" me and my first thought was, "wow, my shoulders look pretty good!" :)

RE: HB....................

That was a lovely post. I know Annette will be awesome with a buzz. It's all attitude! And don't feel bad. I lamented in a recent post that I would love a bad hair day since I lost my four bottom front teeth to gum disease and have to wait until April for a bridge! It's all relative, isn't it? My whole personality has changed since I usually greet the world with a bold smile and a comment of some sort. This too shalll pass, Annette and I now visualize you as a GI Jane and that's a great image to go with that fabulously fit image. I also see you as a wordsmith and an intellectual, more than capable of dealing with these bumps on the path to goddess-hood! You go, girl!
Chicks's Rule! http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Bobbi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.