FoodSaver?

shanihib

Cathlete
Anybody have one? Love it? Hate it? Is it worth the money? Do you have to buy rolls often? Do you think it costs you more than regular freezer bags? etc... Innovative ways of using it? Can you freeze liquids with it?

I do freezer cooking so I can see the benefits to some degree but with some new budget restrictions, I'm not sure if the benefits will outweigh the costs.

Any insights?

I don't have a food saver myself but borrowed a friends a few years back to freeze apples. I was ready to throw it out the window!! It wouldn't hold the seal and my juice kept running everywhere. She claims it's working for her fine now. Maybe it was the user ? :rolleyes: I can say anyone I know who has one loves them. I guess I just had a bad experience.

Wish I could say that I loved it ...

Lots of work, didn't always hold the seal, expensive bags, now living in the attic (both of them!) ...

There's a system you can buy at the grocery store (Glad, maybe?) that's supposed to work well enough, and is much cheaper.

I hate those counter-cluttering gadgets, anyway!

Two thumbs down on the FoodSaver from me!

Well, I have to differ from the previous opinions! I LOVE MINE! I've had it for 7 years now and have not had a single problem with it (knock on wood, please). I have a huge chest freezer and always buy things in bulk when they go on sale....everything from meat, to cheese, to bread. I just cook up soup last week with turkey breast that had been sealed and frozen 18 months ago and not one bit of freezer burn on it. I buy the bags at amazon.com because they seem to be cheaper there and with free shipping and stuff.

I LOVE MINE!

Gayle

I have one also and it sits in the pantry. I don't like counter clutter either.
I use it once or twice a year. Sometimes it won't hold the seal.

It has been useful when we are going somewhere for a weekend. I put a recipe of chili in a bag and double sealed it so when it came time I didn't have to drag a pot full of chili to and from.

I really think it depends on where you buy your food and if it is in bulk. We are a family of three and I don't buy anything at Sam's Club or places like that.

I would suggest trying the new kind by Glad in your grocery first.

Also - I was starting to feel guilty about throwing away all the plastic bags after they were opened and used.

LOVE it!

I have one and LOVE it, use it all the time! I hardly ever have to throw away food now. The only time I do is when I don't pay attention and seal something when I should have! I hate throwing away food.

When you try to seal something that has juices in it, you'll either need to freeze it first, or put it in a mason jar and use the lid attachment. You can't seal anything in a bag that has any liquid in it, or else it's just going to suck up the liquid and not get a good seal. Sometimes I'll freeze those items in the bag then seal it....works perfectly.

Or, buy wide mouth mason jars and the lid attachment. Pour soup or whatever in there, and seal. It'll last for a couple weeks in the fridge, or you can freeze it and it'll last a good year.

And the bags are reusable. I buy the quart size, then as I reuse them, they get smaller and hold less. But that's ok, because I'm using up what's inside anyway! You can re-use them until they are about 2 inches deep. I use them for cheese all the time. I use to throw out moldy cheese, but I don't any more!

Last edited:
Thanks ladies. I think I've convinced myself to try it. I do a LOT of freezer cooking and anticipate doing more to save money. Most everything I'd seal would be with marinades etc so it sounds like I'll need to freeze and then seal, or consider going to mason jars. I'm not sure I like that idea though since I like how everything fits together easily in the freezer when bagged.

I plan on buying meats on sale, then cutting or repackaging into family (our family is 3 people) sized bags. That way I can take advantage of the big sales on quantity without waste. Also, it allows me to make broths/soups/chili/stews in large quantities and then separate into dinner sized portions. Same goes with bulk cheese (wish they sold bulk 2% or bulk light cheeses!). Fruit for smoothies etc... it is all good. :) I have a $35 coupon for Costco but also hear that Tuesday Morning (discounter on closeouts) has them for $99. Will check both out. ;)

I love mine. Especially when the home grown garden produces. It's just part of harvest time for me. I understand that when plastic is frozen the chemicals to make the plastic does not leach out. When I use my frozen vegies, I immediately throw out the plastic and cook in stainless steel or glass containers.

It's very convenient,

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Last edited:
A neat trick...

Shani, another thing I do when I freeze liquids to make room for more stuff in the freezer:

Pour the soup/stew/whatever into a square or rectangular plastic container, then freeze. Once it's solid, it'll pop right out (just like a big ice cube!) then you can stick it in the freezer bag and vacuum seal it. Then, it's all nice and tidy, and stacks really well in the freezer. It'll last practically forever this way. When it's time to defrost, pop it out while frozen, and put it back in the original container you froze it in to melt. Or, just put the whole thing in a saucepan. I do this a LOT. :)

Now that would work great! Why didn't I think of that before??? it would work great with regular ziplocks too. LOL Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.