Food processor?

nancy324

Cathlete
My DH and I usually eat salads for dinner that we prepare on Sunday, then eat all week long. I have always used a mandoline to shred cabbage and slice mushrooms, peppers, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini and onions. I've been nicked by the mandoline a few times, and my DH is afraid that I'm going to lose a finger.

What can I get to process salad vegetables with? Does a food processor work for the veggies I mentioned? Has anyone ever tried a salad shooter (can you get something large into a salad shooter, like a wedge of cabbage)?

Any suggestions from you chefs out there? Thanks!

-Nancy

Nancy, I make a lot of salad and my preferred method for processing veggies is my handy dandy knife and cutting board. The clean-up is a breeze!! Give it a try...it's so easy and once you get the hang of it you can zip right through it.

Michele

Michele, I used to do it that way. But now we process a whole week's worth of salad veggies at one time. In any event, maybe I'm just not experienced enough at food preparation, but I can't shred cabbage or get the veggie slices thin enough to satisfy me using just a knife. How do you do it?

-Nancy

I can't explain how I do it. I guess I've just grown accustomed to using a knife. I have both a mandolin and a food processor and I don't remember the last time I used either one of them.

How thin do you like your veggies? I don't like to slice mine too thin because I like the crunchiness of thicker pieces. Sorry I can't be of more help. Have you googled for product reviews of the various processors?

Michele

My family does not allow me to use sharp knives. I am a "knife klutz", so I have to bludgeon (sp) my fresh veggies to pieces with dull knives.

Sorry, no help.

I use my food processor to make flour out of oatmeal. Sometimes I'll use it for shredding alot of potatoes for hash browns. Other than that, I use a knife for cutting up vegetables.

I will suggest buying the mushrooms and carrots presliced, I do this. The packages of sliced carrots are very handy for my kids and H...who are not allowed to use my sharp knives!

Cucumbers, onion and peppers are very easy to slice by hand with a knife. I have never used a mandoline just because I've always felt they are an accident waiting to happen. Be careful using yours!

Didn't your mandoline come with a finger guard? If not, you can pick them up a most kitchen supply stores. It's basically a grippy thing that comes up over your fingers in the front. It's designed to protect your fingers from nicks (and worse). Use that. The mandoline will give the most uniform slices and as you know, it allows you to choose the thickness of the slices.
A food processor has only one thickness setting, but would certainly be a suitable means by which to process the quantity of produce you mentioned. Will protect your hands, as well.

Cuisinart - I love mine. It slices and shreds all those above. It's also great for other stuff too - making pesto, hummus, pie crusts, etc.

NY25- Fingerguard???? What fingerguard??? Mine comes with a round thing that you use to skewer the veggies, but it never works. I figure they just provide it to protect themselves from liability, knowing the thing doesn't do anything. But what is this fingerguard? Please tell me more. Is it like a glove or something? I've owned at least 10 mandolines but never heard of such a thing.

-Nancy

Hi Nancy!

Susan here. Hope you're doing well.
And HAPPY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! ! !

You can get a really cool steel mesh glove to wear while you are slicing away on your mandoline. And you can get it at A Cook's Companion at 197 Atlantic Ave, which I think is sort of close to you. Their phone # is 718-852-6901. Get a size small, because you're very petite. You might have to order it. I think it costs around $25.

You can also take a knife skills class at The Institue for Culuniary Education on 23rd St in Manhattan. Here's the url.

http://www.iceculinary.com/

Their begining knife skills class is great!

Hope this helps.
Susan :D

Hi Susan!! Thanks for posting!!

What?? Me?? Take a cooking class and destroy my reputation as someone who doesn't know where the kitchen is? LOL. Yup, Atlantic Ave. is close by and the glove sounds VERY cool. Thanks!

-Nancy

Nancy - Any of those guards will do - kind of depends upon your personal preference. I've seen ones that are kind of round and curve all the way up around your fingers. Some mandolines come with them. They can be plastic or stainless steel.
Here is one direct from Oxo -

http://www.oxo.com/xxoxo_ibeCCtpOXOPrdDtl.jsp?a=b&item=47219

You can, of course, also try Crate & Barrel, Bed Bath and Beyond or Williams Sonoma, in addition to the many culinary websites.

>What?? Me?? Take a cooking class and destroy my reputation as
>someone who doesn't know where the kitchen is? LOL.

ROFLMAO! Oh Nancy...I can so relate!!! Any time I use the Cuisinart I have to ask my DH which blade does what. He generally laughs and rolls his eyes at me....but in the end he helps me out only after he tells me he is sending me back to wife school;) Before anyone wants to shoot him, please realize I do hardly any cooking or cleaning so of course, it is all tongue in cheek:) I still can't figure out why he keeps me. Go figure.

Robin:)

ETA: I did cook for him on Thanksgiving:eek:

I'm suprised you didn't get more replies regarding food processors, but then again, I'm a foodie and love to cook. I have a Cusinart and they are great for preparing large salads. In fact, the only time I ever really drag it out is when I'm making coleslaw or a salad for a crowd. It's easy to use and it's such a timesaver. I like the Cusinart because the feeding tube is extra wide, which eliminates the need to cut veggies in half so they fit the size of the tube. Clean up is a snap too, just throw everything in the dishwasher!

Me too, Leslie. I'm thinking maybe it's just not worth it to drag out a big old food processor just to make salad? Maybe not that many people do it?

If you use your food processor to make salad, please raise your hand!
-Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.