follow question for runners and it band

morris

Cathlete
hi everyone - i posted a few weeks ago about running fter my baby was born and a hip pain. i have since gone to pt and indeed my pelvis was out of alignment, my quad fascia was tight, and my right side was week. i am already significantly better and gettng my milage back. m question pertains to something my physical therapist said. i had asked about resuming weighted leg workouts (i LOVE my cathe's), but he said he never recommended weighted leg work for runners. he thought i should just do the 6 or 8 legs exercises using body weight that he was prescribing 2 times a week for maintenance. what do you guys think? i always do a cathe lb workout during the week. should i quit them?

thanks for any help!!

I've seen articles that go both ways, although recently more of them seem to say weights help.

I work with a man who ran the 800 meter event for years (and won Gold at junior olympics and made it to the 96 olympic trials semifinals are you impressed) and the thing that drives me crazy about him is his resistance (ha) to any lower body weight training. He says you do enough weight bearing on your legs as it is.

I disagree. :p And when I was demonstrating some hydrants, etc, he came up and told me he was impressed with my leg strength.

SO THERE. }( :7

I've always done weighted lower body work (the GS workouts) but was never happy with the tendency towards bulk so, since I started doing lots of Cardio Coach, I'm (for now) continuing doing the lower body weighted workouts but with no weights or light weights. Thanks to Cardio Coach (just 4 workouts, thus far) my legs are finally heading in the direction I want (long and lean). I'm foregoing lower body weights, for now, so as not to louse up my new fab results. I might soon switch to 3 total body workouts per week instead of the 3-day split (with abs and an extra leg workout) I've been doing but, since I'm only now starting to try Slow&Heavy I'm holding off.

Was this PT's recommendation of no leg weight exercises for runners, for the runners who have had injuries, as you have??

I have run for about 30 years and always done leg weight exercises as I felt it always lowered your chance of injury to have the muscles strong. After 40 I did start getting a few injuries and even visited a PT a few times. Not once did he tell me NOT to do leg weight exercises.

his recommendations were for runners in general! i think it makes sense to try it his way for 3-4 weeeks and see. thanks for everyones input!

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought he meant runners with ITB issues. I think the idea of no weight work EVER for runners is more of an old school mentality. IMO, everyone has to experiment to find the right combination of running, lifting, and cross-training. If what you're doing now is working for your running, then I'd stick with it.

Best of luck!

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/runninteach/exercise/SnowBunny_tns-1.jpg
http://img16.glitterfy.com/53/glitterfy084824T933D37.gif

"Do you want to feel my spatula?" Run, Fat Boy, Run

>I think the idea of no weight work EVER for runners is
>more of an old school mentality.

ITA - I equate that with the mentality that women shouldn't lift heavy weights cuz they'll get "bulky".

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.