Floor work vs. standing legs

missyb70

Cathlete
Cathe, I've heard from many people that they noticed a huge difference in their hips/upper thighs by doing floor leg work. Is that considered strength training? The Pure Strength Legs & Abs does use the body bar, but is that enough resistance? Would you ever recommend a short rotation with only floor leg work to target the hips/upper thighs or should I always do both floor and standing? Thanks!!

Obviously, not Cathe, but...

Cathe had a rotation in October, I think, that was a four day split for strength. In it, she split leg work between standing work one day, and floor work (PS L&A and PLB) another day.

Actually, rereading your post, that doesn't answer your question (sorry!), but maybe it will be of some interest anyway.

I would also be interested in an answer to this question. I often wonder if I can do floor leg work and standing leg work back to back or if floor is considered weights and I should skip a day.

I am guilty of skipping floor work much of the time. What does floor work do that standing work does not?

The exercises that Cathe features in PS legs on the floor obviously help strengthen hamstrings without the need for deadlifts and a heavy barbell, so it's kind to your back.. But also, and I think more importantly, the first exercises on the floor, leg raises and such, work to strengthen the muscles that assist in correct knee alignment. patella alignment and strengthen the knee area, helping to protect it from injury, which women, due to the shape of their pelvis, are more susceptible to than men. So, I think the PS floor work at least once per week is a good idea.

Clare

Not Cathe, and this may not directly answer your question, but the DVD with Kick,Punch & Crunch and Legs & Glutes has really excellent premixes that I've been using to alternate standing leg work with floor work. I've been getting very good results doing this in the last few weeks -- my legs and hips feel a lot tighter and firmer. (Plus the kickboxing's great for overall cardio conditioning and upper body work.)

As for alternating standing vs. floor, I think the idea is that the different exercises tax the muscles in different ways and engage the muscle fibers differently, and that increases the potential to get the results you may be seeking. Or you could just do Legs and Glutes (or PS Legs) a couple times a week and really fatigue the muscles by doing standing and floor work in the same session. Good luck!

I am throwing something else in the mix here, sorry...But...

I always thought that floor work should follow standing work. I thought the idea was to fatigue with heavy weights and standing work and then follow with floor work as a finishing exercise. Is that wrong? Or maybe just something I put in my head b/c it always seems to follow standing work?

Timber, I think it makes more sense to do the standing work first just because squats, plies and lunges tend to make your heart rate go higher then lying down work. I know I always make my class do "walking" lunges before we coooldown just because they make the HR soar. Just a thought. I don't think it is set in stone. Plus, after all that standing stuff, it sure feels good to lay down, doesn't it? :7
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Thanks DebbieH! Even though the floor work is hard, it always indicates that you are coming closer to the "end" when you get to it!!!!!!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.