Fitness goals?

ctobin

I just turned 48 and thought it might be fun to have a fitness goal to achieve by the time I am 50. I faithfully exercise via Cathe, alternating cardio and weight, with at least one Hiit or Tabata/week. Looking for ideas!

Happy belated birthday, ctobin!

I'll be turning 49 this week. A few years ago I made the fitness goal of being in the best shape of my life by the time I'm 50! That's pretty vague, but I think I'm getting there. I'm doing something similar to you through Cathe's body building rotation - currently doing STS (first time) 6 month program. I'm lovin it and feeling great. I think having this goal and working towards it is very positive mentally and physically, and turning 50 will be "no big deal." :D

What about being able to do 50 straight-leg pushups in one go? Or being able to do 5 unassisted pull ups? Or both? :) Or maybe you already can?

I agree with the vague idea about being in the best shape in my life, and am excited to consider what this means. 50 straight leg push ups…now THAT is a great idea. I hate it and love it, as push ups are hard and they make me mad. I usually max out at 30, so 50 is a terrific goal! Same with pull ups. I think I will set that bar (haha! pun intended) at 10 pull ups. Keep these great ideas coming! I love hearing from women my age, who enjoy keeping in shape. I started working out habitually, when I was in college…back then, I wanted to be able to eat more freely and still have a cute figure. Now I care more about aging well and maximizing my quality of life to the greatest extent, that is in my control. Cute, schmute. Who cares? I just want to feel good and remain active. Well, cute is okay too I suppose.

Ctobin, I don't know your current flexibility levels, but what about a goal ike being able to touch your fingertips to the floor in a forward fold, or holding a particular yoga pose for a set amount of time?

Another good one is being able to hold a plank for a set amount of time, like a straight arm plank for 3 mins. (just throwing numbers out there)

The last one that comes to mind is a goal about consistency, like "between now and the day I turn 50 I am going to workout X days/week." (with the caveat that you get leeway in the case of illness and injury, of course)

Last year mine was to be able to dead-lift my own body weight - I've done it!

One-and-a-half-times, here I come!

I love this sort of goal setting - more positive than 'drop a dress size' etc.

Justine

You have all been very helpful! I have decided: 50 straight leg push ups, 10 pull-ups and bend over with flat hands on floor (my hamstrings have always been painfully tight, and as I age I think it matters to work on this). I love the IDEA of having the fitness goal, but gosh… pushups and pull-ups are so hard, and I will be spewing R rated vocabulary as I push through this. I recently read a few tips for mental toughness: laugh through the trial, and "embrace the suck". And so it begins. Thanks again!

How about getting a body composition test done now, and when you turn 50? After all the work you are going to put in to accomplish all those tough goals, your body composition will change for the better. Record your weight, measurements, % body fat, and figure out your lean body mass, now and then. And take before-and-after pics of course, too! :)

Stebby

How about getting a body composition test done now, and when you turn 50? After all the work you are going to put in to accomplish all those tough goals, your body composition will change for the better. Record your weight, measurements, % body fat, and figure out your lean body mass, now and then. And take before-and-after pics of course, too! :) Stebby

Love this idea! I turned 49 this past September and have been fairly dedicated to Cathe and working out since my 20's. I have had some slumps here and there because of life in general with the most recent happening from early October until the second week of January ( no workouts at all) but getting back in the groove and just started the third week of the 90 day X-Train rotation and pretty much matching Cathe on all the weights with the exception of the bench presses on the ball and the insane push-ups but all in all I feel good about my progress considering the lapse I had. I did do 3 weeks of various older Cathe DVDs before starting this rotation which definitely helped.

So glad to be back and can't believe I took 3 months off!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.