Firewalker Bands

danielle24

I received my Firewalker Bands today, and on the box there is a warning stating that the materials used in them are known to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive issues. Good Lord! What is up with this? :confused:

I didn't read that...I still have my box. I could go check....but I don't use mine enough to do any damage. I would think if you wore it like a belt and slept with it or wore it like a necklace :rolleyes: :) it would be enough to do some damage.....too much of anything is bad for you, right? (except love!)

I received my Firewalker Bands today, and on the box there is a warning stating that the materials used in them are known to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive issues. Good Lord! What is up with this? :confused:

I really doubt that if you use the bands properly that it will have any of these side effects. Your skin is the most effective barrier in the body and it would not let anything harmful into the body (that's why anti-winkle creams do not have any lasting effects - their molecules are too big to actually pass into the deeper layers of the skin).

Now, if you start eating the firewalkers, that is a different story.....

I am glad that products that want to be sold in California or overseas have to have those disclaimers on their packaging. I like to know exactly what I am getting!

Proposition 65

Believe it or not it's because of Proposition 65 (formally titled "The Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986") which is is a California law that has been expanded to include over 1600 chemicals. All Fitness by Cathe products either already have the warning statement you are referring to or soon will. This is not because Fitness by Cathe Products are dangerous, but instead because FBC wants to avoid government fines and lawsuits. A lot of companies, like Fitness by Cathe are just putting this statement on every product they make to make sure they're in compliance with the CA law. Otherwise the burden of proof is on the company to prove that their product does not cause, cancer, birth defects and interrupt the space-time continuum- LOL. This would be very expensive to do for every product and in most cases would probably be impossible to do as you just can't prove that something doesn't cause cancer or other diseases.

As for FBC Firewalkers and Stretch Bands, they're made of the same chemicals as just about every other band maker uses. Unfortunately, as a business we quite often have to deal with a lot of what I feel is pointless and wasteful over-government regulation. Proposition 65 should be about clean drinking water, not conditioning your outer thighs in a Cathe workout.

SNM Videos said:
Believe it or not it's because of Proposition 65 (formally titled "The Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986") which is is a California law that has been expanded to include over 1600 chemicals. All Fitness by Cathe products either already have the warning statement you are referring to or soon will. This is not because Fitness by Cathe Products are dangerous, but instead because FBC wants to avoid government fines and lawsuits. A lot of companies, like Fitness by Cathe are just putting this statement on every product they make to make sure they're in compliance with the CA law. Otherwise the burden of proof is on the company to prove that their product does not cause, cancer, birth defects and interrupt the space-time continuum- LOL. This would be very expensive to do for every product and in most cases would probably be impossible to do as you just can't prove that something doesn't cause cancer or other diseases.

As for FBC Firewalkers and Stretch Bands, they're made of the same chemicals as just about every other band maker uses. Unfortunately, as a business we quite often have to deal with a lot of what I feel is pointless and wasteful over-government regulation. Proposition 65 should be about clean drinking water, not conditioning your outer thighs in a Cathe workout.

Proposition 65 should be about clean drinking water, not conditioning your outer thighs in a Cathe workout. :D :D :D

Sent from my iPad using CatheForum

This reminds me of an article I was reading over the weekend regarding plastics. Apparently you are not supposed to heat any plastic container or put in it the dishwasher because it causes the plastic to leak chemicals that could cause cancer. It stated damaged containers leak chemicals as well, along with freezing or cooling, but not as bad as the heat. It stated that plastic wrap is full of BPA's as are receipts from the store, that apparently do indeed penetrate the skin like many things (including drugs) can do. The article also suggested not using plastic for storage.:eek: I was trying to think (besides mason jars) what I could use instead of my plasticware. Ug! Just think of everything you have and use on a daily basis that is made with some sort of plastic.....mind-numbing no?:confused:

But, the rationale makes sense. You don't find plastic.....or latex for that matter naturally in the environment. It's all constructed with chemicals, many of which would (I believe) be considered toxic by themselves. So, the reasoning behind it sure seems sound.

On the other hand, our lawsuit happy society has mandated that these (sometimes really stupid) warnings be put on everything! Be careful - coffee may be hot! - well Duh!:rolleyes: I'm just wondering how long it will be before we get the 'Be careful - ice may be cold' warning.

This reminds me of an article I was reading over the weekend regarding plastics. Apparently you are not supposed to heat any plastic container or put in it the dishwasher because it causes the plastic to leak chemicals that could cause cancer. It stated damaged containers leak chemicals as well, along with freezing or cooling, but not as bad as the heat. It stated that plastic wrap is full of BPA's as are receipts from the store, that apparently do indeed penetrate the skin like many things (including drugs) can do. The article also suggested not using plastic for storage.:eek: I was trying to think (besides mason jars) what I could use instead of my plasticware. Ug! Just think of everything you have and use on a daily basis that is made with some sort of plastic.....mind-numbing no?:confused:

But, the rationale makes sense. You don't find plastic.....or latex for that matter naturally in the environment. It's all constructed with chemicals, many of which would (I believe) be considered toxic by themselves. So, the reasoning behind it sure seems sound.

On the other hand, our lawsuit happy society has mandated that these (sometimes really stupid) warnings be put on everything! Be careful - coffee may be hot! - well Duh!:rolleyes: I'm just wondering how long it will be before we get the 'Be careful - ice may be cold' warning.

Pyrex and I believe Rubbermaid now also make small glass storage containers. They market them the same way as they do the plastic containers except now no health-hazards to worry about.

And I have to say I didn't know that about dishwasher safe plastics and receipts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.