Finishing PT course...

gidget1978

Cathlete
Hi Cathe...

I am almost finished a PT course on line. I do need to study for the final exam, which right now when I think about it, its over whelming. Its been so long since I have had to study for a final...and on my own! I did email ICS last night to ask them a few questions. Such as, what was included in my final package. I am really hoping for some studying tips, guidelines and maybe even a practice test of two. Trying to study this time of year is hard with Christmas around the corner. At first I felt totally stressed and then I remembered that I have atleast a year before I HAVE to finish the course. My goal is to be finished by Feb 1st. I wish I could just shut the world off for a week and just dig in. With a family and a full time job, its tough.

Its just so strange not to have a internship I can do or a gym I can chase someone around in for a few days. In the meantime, I have been working out for years. I am not a total loss here and to tell you the truth most of what I already know, I didn't learn from those text books. I have taken on a couple of friends in the meantime. I think my biggest obstacle is telling people that I can only do my part. Whenever anyone talks to me about PT, the first thing that comes out of their mouthes is the amount of weight they need to lose. I can only do my share...meet with some 2-3 x's a week, give them a good workout and hopefully they will follow a healthy eating plan and get some cardio in. If they think working out with me and then doing as they always did will give them results, they will be sadly mistaken. I am just happy that I have enough sense that I am not going to be down on myself when these people don't see results.

My course touched very lightly on designing programs for people. I don't know if I should mix it up all the time or if I should create a few good workouts, touching every body part briefly and then switching it up again? Or am I suppose to give them a different workout EVERY SINGLE TIME? There are soooo many moves out there, sometimes its just mind boggling. Then you have people who aren't in such great shape, they need work from the bottom up. I have enjoyed working out with my friends b/c they take whatever I give them, while another girl likes to sit down in between moves! Or another one thinks that she should be in pain after every workout.........So many misconceptions of working out. Whatever happened to exercise releiving stress? Or lowering blood pressure or helping with diabetes? Does it always have to be about fat magically disappearing over night or not being able to walk after a leg workout?

Anyway....needless to say, I need to find the confidence in myself to push forward. I need to find the time to come up with good routines that will keep people motivated without confusing them. I need to finish my course so I have one more thing behind me. I have been told that I am good at what I do.....finding the balance to feel like I am doing everyone justice and meeting their needs are my priority. I truly love it....right now my head just feels confused......

Are there any good books out there with moves shown and what body part it works? I just feel like I have so many questions and no one to ask them to.

Thanks so much!
Lori Ann

I would get in touch with the ACSM. I do not know the website name. (American College of Sports Medicine) they have references. Or the IDEA. AFFA is another one. Hope that helps.

I went through similar things when going to school for my degree in Exercise Science, as I was staying home with my little one, working nights, taking care of the house, my 8 year old....sometimes you think what the heck am I doing taking on more stuff? However, if this is what you feel is your true calling, then you have to just sit down and make a schedule to fit it all in. I know it sounds easier said than done, but it is important! I can also empathize with the friend/client dilemma, my first client was someone I was friends with, and well I think she took advantage of that a little! You have to focus on the fact that clients will think you are the expert about stuff, but they will also want to maintain some control. People tend not to want to hear what they need to hear, like working out a few days a week does NOT give you license to eat a whole cake, or that maybe being a size whatever is not in the cards because of their body type/size. Some of the resources that I used in school were through the NSCA and ACE, both of which have websites. Another one thats helpful is Human Kinetics, which has some valuable resources. Feel free to ask me questions as I went through this whole thing in the recent past! Hope I helped a little! Hang in there!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.