Fiber revisited

H

honeybunch

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-01 AT 06:30AM (Est)[/font][p]I'm sure we've touched on this before, but a really easy way to get your eating under control is to add lots of fiber to your diet in the form of bran and beans, especially. Did you know that you bod will slough off 7 calories for each gram of fiber you eat? :-wow

I'm on a kick right now bumping up my fiber intake, and it's so much easier to keep the scales under control even with a mid-week slip-up. I even added pinto beans to my lunch salads this week!

Just a suggestion, take it or leave it! We all need our little tricks.

Oh, Honeybunch, you're singing my song. I just got a book by Dr. Gabe Mirkin (www.drmirkin.com) after reading of someone's success on the Firm forum. 20gm fat/30gm fiber per day is the essence of the plan. I eat lots of beans and grains now. No room for all the junk I usually eat. Lovin' this. Robin.

P.S. His website is great.

I always read your posts with interest.

Thanks for sharing 'stuff' with us. I don't always follow your suggestions (I'm weak willed sometimes) but I have started using a food journal because of you. I guess I listen you because you are into your 50s too and are strong and fit. You should post a picture too! :D

Keep the information coming....we appreciate it. :)

I am on the fiber bandwagon too and it's amazing how it really keeps the appetite for junk in check! I have been using
http://www.fitday.com to track my food intake among other things. You guys might enjoy the site. Very user friendly. I just started to read a book by a Harvard doc who challenges the Food Pyramid as unsubstansiated in it's healthful claims because it doesn't differentiate between the carbs we acquire from whole grains and those acquired from refined flour, sugar and potatoes. Potatoes are to be used sparingly, along with "white" products. You know the one's. The Food Pyramind also doesn't distinguish between bad fats like sat fats and trans fats and good fats like monos and omegas. It's interesting (to me anyway)!

I know I am probably preaching the the choir, but I love to talk nutrition!

Bobbi

So give me an idea of what I would eat to increase my fiber....here's waht I was thinking

Fiber One or All Bran with banana for breakfast
Taco salad made with lettuce, black beans, chicken, a smidgeon of cheese, and salsa for lunch
Chicken, brown rice, veggies for dinner....

So what would be for snacks?

I just bought a new cereal: Kashi Go Lean and Kashi Go Lean crunch. These seem to be high in fiber, and they are YUMMY!!!!

Zoelda

I bought some Tabatchnik Bean soup. It's in the frozen section. Eleven grams of fiber in the 160 calorie serving.

Kashi Go Lean

My husband loves this stuff: The basic & the sweeter "Go Lean Crunch". To me, it's ok if the pantry is bare. I buy it at Trader Joe's. One of our dogs loves it. She's not usually a beggar, but she acts like we've just opened a can of tuna when my husband pours a bowl. I think this is a sign that dogs shouldn't be raised in vegetarian households.

RE: Kashi Go Lean

And don't forget all those yummy fruits and veggies. Eat them first and you'll eat less later. I often try to "ruin my appetite" before dinner" with an apple or a banana. Theoretically, you eat less at dinner. Gotta be careful though!

Low fat microwave popcorn such as Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop has a TON of fiber!!!! I don't bother with pretzels anymore since I discovered how much fiber there is in popcorn.

This is another great reason for eating whole foods rather than processed foods. Also, to tie together two threads, it's a good reason to go with flax seed meal (I make my own, 1/2 cup at a time, in a "coffee" grinder) instead of flax oil (which goes rancid much more quickly).

Hey,

With all the fiber you guys are eating, what do you do about the gas problem????? And don't even try to tell me there isn't one!!

I have a very colorful Aunt who likes to say, "It is better to let it out and feel the shame than to hold it in and feel the pain." lol!

Yes, there is gas but it isn't necessarily a problem. I have tried Beano. It doesn't make that much difference. I know people who get gassy and eat only fatty, junk food. I'll take mine fiberous and healthy anyday. Lately, it hasn't seemed to be much trouble although initially, it was a bit bothersome. The gut seems to adjust overtime.

As Bobbi posted, most people find that their body gets accustomed to a high fiber diet. Some people do have a problem with certain foods & have to avoid them. But gas is a reason that someone adding fiber to their diet needs to increase it gradually.

Frankly my dogs are absolutely toxic after french fries which have no fiber. Go figure.

Zoelda

Zoelda,
Hi Zoelda, I've tried the Kashi Go Lean Crunch Cereal and love it as a snack (haven't tried it with milk yet ;-) ). How does the Kashi Go Lean compare????

Dawn

Hello everyone-
I have been follwing the high fiber diet for about 1 1/2 weeks now( I used to eat about 20g a day) now I eat 30g minimum. I realize that it takes a while for the stomach to adjust to additional fiber, but does anyone have any idea how long it takes. My lower abs have never been this bloated. I have tried Beano and it does nothing for me.(If it is helping then lookout:eek:) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help
Kathy

Hi, Kathy,

Hang in there a week or so longer and you should be fine! It was a bit trying at first but is no longer a problem on 30 plus grams a day.

Be careful about drinking pop (soda)! I found that drinking carbonated beverages following bloated me. Try to stick to water.

Thanks Bobbi-
Thats good to know that there is an end in sight. I noticed since upping my fiber that I dont't have the cravings to snack anymore. I was really hoping that I would not have to drop back down on the amount of fiber.

Thanks again
Kathy

Thanks Bobbi-
Thats good to know that there is an end in sight. I noticed since upping my fiber that I dont't have the cravings to snack anymore. I was really hoping that I would not have to drop back down on the amount of fiber.

Thanks again
Kathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.