EZ Curl Bar vs. Straight Bar for biceps

Hi, Cathe!! You’re workouts are fabulous! Thank you for being such a great instructor and motivator. I’ve lost about 145# in the last two years, and I’m successfully maintaining a healthy weight, thanks to your DVDs.

Question about ez curl versus straight bar...I have medial epicondyle issues and while I have successfully completed OT, I still have occasional elbow pain. I’ve noticed that when I use a straight bar and my wrists are fully supinated, my biceps get worked really well, but I can definitely tell the difference in elbow pain over the next couple of days. With the ez curl bar, I still get a good biceps workout, (though not peak contraction like I do with the ez curl bar) but I notice that my wrists are not fully supinate and there is less pain the next day. Is there a way to use the ez curl bar and still get the same level of bicep contraction that I get when using the straight bar? Maybe a hand placement that I’m missing? One thing that I’ve found that really works my biceps with little pain is focusing on the eccentric portion of the bicep curl with a dumbbell. I did this in OT and WOW!! Thanks for your help!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.