exercising during menstruation?

alison13

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I was recently doing a Pilates workout video and in the introduction, it cautioned menstruating women not to do inverted exercises or vigorous standing poses. Is this a real concern??

I was thinking, does the caution include the thing you do on the stability ball where you start with your feet on the ball, face down, in push up stance and then you draw your feet in and butt up into the air?? What about other similar moves?

Your advice would be really appreciated!

Alison

Not Cathe here, but I had heard the same thing about inverted yoga poses. I asked my GYN last time I went, last September, and he said he had heard that too, and there differing opinions on it. His take was that as long as you're not upside down for and extended period of time - more than an hour - you'll be fine. Said the AMA and the gynecological association don't have any recommendations against it. You will not mess up your "plumbing" His overall take on exercising during your period, was if you feel up to it, go ahead and do it. Said the endorphine rush will help w/ cramps and the sweating and extra water you'll be drinking will help with bloating. I mentioned to him I had also heard the same thing about ab exercises while menstruating, but he said that was a bunch of hooey to, unless you've got cramps so bad, you can't do them, but then you'd prob have other medical issues too. I know I personally feel better during my period if I keep to my normal routine. Otherwise I feel like a lazy slug. It helps keep my energy up, I tend to be little tired during that time, I don't sleep well. Hope this helps some!

Hi,

I always exercise during menustration and have had no problems or difficulties regardless of the type of exercise including cardio kickbox, yoga, pilates, strength or any kind of cardio. I have found it actually helps me with my symptoms.

Sheila

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.