Exercising after c-section

smgfit

Hey all mommies and mommies to be. . .I just had my first son two weeks ago this Sunday, and even though I know the doctors say to wait 6 weeks I want to know if anyone has worked out sooner than that. I feel great and am going crazy to work out, but am scared of what could happen. Does anyone have any suggestions or information on this? I would appreciate any info. . .thanks a bunch!

Hello! My name is Jen and I'm a Healthy Moms Certified Fitness Instructor and personal trainer. Definitely do NOT start working out prior to your Dr.'s clearance. You have just had MAJOR ABDOMINAL surgery and although you may feel great (you're not lugging around 20-40 extra lbs. anymore!), your body needs to recover from both the surgery and 10 months of a constantly changing physiological state. That being said, as a trainer, I do not take any clients who have had c-sections prior to 10 weeks post-partum - even with Dr.'s orders. Be patient and start planning the process for resuming your workouts and definitely don't try to do what you did before pregnancy right away.

I know the feeling of wanting to resume and I am the mother of 2 - both c-sections. One thing I recommend doing during this waiting game is seeing if you can get in with a physical therapist who specializes in Women's Health and learn about scar tissue massage and the proper progression for rebuilding the core region specifically after a c-section. I did not do enough or proper scar tissue massge soon after my first and once I started the physical therapy it was a bit more irritating to that sensitive area.

Hope this helps, enjoy the time with your new sweet baby and keep your enthusiasm for fitness!!!

Jeni - momma to Olivia 4 and Anasofia 15mos.

I'm not a doctor, but I bet he'd ok you to take short walks (probably not pushing anything)and probably not too brisk. I've heard that gentle walking can help in the recovery time. Be gentle and listen to your body and be sure to talk to you doctor before starting anything.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.