Exerciers with physical health challenges new check in

Katie, I can't swim, so I would not like that. Water aerobics or pilates might be nice though. I would like biking if it was outside, but I don't know how I would feel about indoor cycling. I might have done it in college when I went to the gym all the time, but I don't remember now. I've had to keep to indoor walking workouts the past couple of days because my legs are still sore from STS the other day. I've also had a little tingling in my foot, which makes me very nervous, so I'm trying to be more careful.

It's still very cold here, but we haven't had a lot of snow compared to other parts of the country. I am ready to get outside and start walking again, but that's probably at least a couple of months away.

Today's workout was STS disc 18. My DVD player kept pausing, and I got fed up and switched to OnDemand. I think I need to clean DVD player.

Kind of convenient that you were able to switch to on demand, Amy, and my legs are sore too. Isn't it funny how some weeks the same workout can leave us sore and other weeks we are just fine...

Workout for me was 30/30 and muscle max upper body premix. I have tight lower back muscles from weeding... Need to do something about that.

Well it looks like swimming will be my cardio, I did Ride again yesterday and my knees were really uncomfortable last night and again this am. I iced them all evening but they still ache. The thought of going swimming in -25 degree weather tomorrow is not something I look forward to!! It kills me to have to pay a club to swim when I have a gym in my basement. I really miss my cathe cardio and wts!!

My leg soreness finally went away, so I did Rhythmic Step this evening. I think this week's STS leg workout only added one new exercise from the previous workout, but that was enough to give me DOMS I guess, lol.

Katie, going swimming in this cold weather does not sound like fun at all. Unless maybe if it was a heated pool, and you didn't have to leave your house to get to it!

I'm with you both, going outside in the cold to go swimming and then going back out to go home is not appealing! I admire you for your dedication, Katie! There was a time where I couldn't do any a cathe workouts and it was such a bummer! I had just gotten a new series too and felt like I was never going to be able to do it. I really get what that feels like! Hopefully your knees will improve as it gets warmer, maybe Cathe will be your summer workouts? At least the more low impact ones.

Amy, all the slider leg moves on Sts kill me! I have to do legs a second time per week on sts otherwise I'm in perpetual doms stage....

I did a cardio super set premix and Pilates abs.

Oh my goodness, Cendrine, I did pilates abs today too! I did Step Blast as well. How is your back feeling now? My back was tight last night as well, which had me worried until I remembered it was probably from the one-legged deadlifts the day before. It's feeling better today thankfully.

Amy, my back is better, I did some essential oils and heating pad and my body is responding well. It's nice when it works like it should...

I took off the day today, just felt I needed the real, so took it.

Have a great weekend!

Hiit circuit lower body today. I have been up since 2 am and couldn't go back to sleep. Feel more alive now after getting some blood pumping... Lol! Hopefully I will make it through the day ok. Today is homeschool coop day, I'm teaching three classes. Should keep me on my toes anyway...

My day went pleasantly well yesterday. Glad for a more quiet day today, though.
I did body max 2 cardio premix today.
How are you guys?

Today I did STS disc 18. I finally got a non-threaded barbell. It is so helpful for back-off sets. I still take a little longer than Cathe to get my weights changed out, but it's a huge improvement.

I did something to my hip flexor over the weekend, so I've been going lighter on cardio, and just walking around the house so I can keep my step count up. I was just changing positions when it happened. I usually injure myself doing something seemingly innocent. It only seems to bother me when I'm lunging.

Cendrine, I'm so happy to hear your back is feeling better! I keep waking up earlier than I need to. Not that early though! I can't fall asleep at a normal hour, so it really bugs me when I wake up early. I'm glad you made it through the day.

Amy, it's nice to not have to spend a lot of time changing weights, I'm glad you have an easier barbell! Sorry about your hip flexor issue, I hope it clears up quickly! I usually pull something or Hurt myself just doing mundane stuff and for some reason it just happens, too. Pretty annoying...

I did a shorter premix of Hiit upper body circuit. I kind of think the shoulders get too much attention and the triceps not enough on this one...

My back was really bothering me, so I did not work out for a while. I hate when that happens. Today I did Rock Out Knock Out, and the legs premix from Muscle Max. It is almost like starting all over again.

I think my hip flexor is doing a little better today. I did Party Rockin' Step 1. The only lunge-like move was the stretch in the beginning. It caused a small amount of pain, but I think it's less than before.

Caitlin, I'm glad you're able to work out again. I've found that staying mobile (especially walking) is the best thing for my back.

I am glad this checkin is here. My main problem is my back with all the herniated discs, and, allthough I am small in stature, I have to wear an Enell bra. I used to see a chiropractor, who helped a great deal, but my insurance does not cover him. I never had to take a pain pill when I was seeing him. I did about half an hour of Christi Taylor hi lo, mostly high impact, and my arms. I know I am out of shape. I also look silly wearing a McDavid knee brace on my right knee.

Today I did MMA Boxing, but there were a lot of higher impact moves I had to modify, so I probably won't do that one very frequently. I had been trying to add some impact to my workouts, but I decided to stop because my feet started tingling again (from my sciatic nerve). I would have thought that 9 months after disc surgery I would be able to do higher impact, but I guess not. I also need to remind myself that I still have 2 other degenerated discs. I might never be able to do high impact, but considering I still usually don't use any risers on my step when I do step workouts, I still have plenty of room to add intensity just by adding risers.
Caitlin, does your insurance cover another chiropractor you could go to?

Amy, low impact exercise is great, no need to push it to high impact if your body is saying otherwise. Right now my body is calling for lots of breaks... No workout yesterday, but I spent two and a half hours walking through a nursery picking plants for the back yard project... I guess that counts. Can't make myself work out today... I think my attempt to follow the protein first thing in the morning to help my adrenals isn't working for me. I have worked out on an empty stomach for years and having my smoothie before workout is just hard for me to get used to, plus then I have to let it settle and it delays my whole routine... I hope I will figure out some kind of compromise for this. I have to make a new rotation this weekend, I think I'll focus on short premixes to give myself a little more rest and see what happens.

My dear friend Bill who is a viet nam vet, and has scrapnel in his stomach, agent orange in his face, and herniated discs all down his back cannot find a chiro who would take his insurance and he has good insurance. I have pain pills (percs) but I do not them every day, and I try to space them out. Today I did 48 minutes of the premix of Low Impact Circuit, and my legs. I tred to to do Lower Body Blast but I gave up afer 10 to 15 minutes. I ended up doing the lower body portion ofn Muscle Max. I hope you are ding well

Cendrine, I know what you mean about eating before working out. I work out after work, but by the time I'm done with work I need supper! So I have to wait for supper to settle for a while before I can work out.
Caitlin, some osteopaths and physical therapists do manipulations. I don't know how similar what they do is to what chiropractors do, but I wonder if that might be an option?
Today I did STS disc 20. I was very happy that my hip flexor seems to be better now.

Amy, I'm so glad your hip flexor is better! Your Sts numbers are getting up there! How do you like the results so far?
I'm doing shorter workouts this month. Kind of a compromise for me. So I did body max 2 cardio timesaver premix. I'm hoping this month will be a reset month for me. Kind of getting rested a bit while trying to gain back my normal routine.

I've lost about 15 lbs. since I started STS, and I feel stronger. I'll need to lose more fat before I can see any definition, but I can see a little when I flex. Today I did Party Rockin Step 1 Step Mix premix and No Equipment Abs.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.