EXCESS Skin

Elln

Cathlete
Someone said that the only way to get rid of excess abdominal skin is thru surgery. Is this true?

Elln

I'm no expert but I would have to agree. I don't think there is any other way. Skin can lose it's elascticity (sp?) causing it NOT to "snap" back into place once it has been stretched. I do not believe there is any other remedy for that....

I am in the same boat....I have had 3 big baby boys.....left me with horrible strech marks, I have lost 20 lbs so far, and my stomach looks really bad....I talked to a plastic surgeon's PA on the phone about it, and if you have really bad stretch marks, your extra baggy skin will not go away w/o surgery, but if it is just lose with no strech marks, some may smooth out. Did you notice Seth's belly on the biggest loser? He had a lot of saggy skin in his lower abdomen, when he pulled up his shirt. But Suzanne did not look like she had any saggy skin....I guess it vary's from person to person.

Joanna

it depends how much weight you have lost. up to a certain point the skin is amazing in its ability to retract and tighten. i lost 150 lbs and had a hard time tightening certain places so i had 2 surgeries to remove extra skin. took off about 10 lbs worth. eek!

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

I think so too. Surgery. But you don't have to do it. Mine is the result of pregnancies and I will never have surgery. Can't afford it for one thing, and if I had the money, I'd rather put it towards buying a house anyway! To me, loose abdominal skin as result of pregnancies is a badge of honour and experiene that sets me apart from the twenties' set who have yet to gain all that life experience and live to tell the tale! Embrace it, live with it, if you can. Vanity can only take you so far, right? And people love us for our imperfections, whcih make us human, not our perfections.

Clare

Yes, it is true. After my separation, I gained 40 pounds quickly, and I kept the weight on too long. I finally lost the weight after a couple of years, but the damage had been done. No matter what I did, (I was running and doing weights and ab work) I still had excess skin. This was after I had gotten myself down to a size 2.

It bothered me so much (I had had a flat tummy even after having my two kids) that I finally had a tummy tuck. I have a totally flat stomach now, but I do have a scar. I am glad I did it.

If it's not too personal, may I ask how much your tummy tuck ran. I know I shouldn't be so concerned with it but it does bother me. It just seems like geez I wish it would go away.

My loose skin is on my thighs. I still have some fat to lose, but when it is gone, I will consider having the skin taken care of, it it doesn't improve. Some loose skin does improve over time.

I notice that even Cathe has some loose skin on her stomache. Now, it is very little, but there are a few videos with a few moves where I can really see it. Even as fat-less and in shape as she is, she still has loose skin from pregnancy. (mine isn't from preganancy, so I only have myself to blame.)

Mine was 6500 dollars, but another doctor wanted ten grand. They all offer financing. I am very glad I did it.

After viewing alot of the "BEFORE" photos on this Forum, I can't believe that many of these folks had operations, and then again, it's just hard to believe that the transformations took place by diet and exercise.

What do you think?

Elln

I can only tell you from the plastic surgery aspect of it as that's what I do in my nursing profession. We do MANY abdominoplasties, AKA "tummy tucks" and what an amazing procedure it is. I'm not here to sell procedures, all I can tell you is that(for example)for people that have had gastric bypass and have A LOT of excess skin it is the FASTEST and probably ONLY way to get their shape back. Once the skin is stretched, and there is some recoil but with a large weight loss, some of it just HAS to be removed, there is no way to get rid of it any other way.
There are so many variables, the amount of weight loss, the elasticity of the skin and of course a consult with a plastic surgeon and what it is exactly you want to accomplish.

Mary

Dear Elln,

It is a long recovery, and I didn't work out for months after. I think that most people would have to take at least two weeks to a month off work.

Hi There...
I am considering having a tummy tuck, and live in the Toronto, Ontario area of Canada.....However I am having a hard time deciding which doctor to go with.......Do you know of any good doctors in our area....or something that I should look for in finding the best doctor to do this procedure.....I want the BEST...and willing to pay for THE BEST!!!
Thanks in advance

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.