Elliptical trainer??

kandeycane

Cathlete
Hi all.
i hope you are all doing well.. My birthday is coming up next month and am considering purchasing an elliptical trainer.. for those nights when i want just a bit more cardio and i can do it right while i watch tv.etc. Anyone know if your heart rate goes up or how intense the workout can be.. i really want one but don't want to regret it..

thanks in advance
Candy

My husband has used them at the gym and says they are great for your legs and a good workout, but has cautioned me from buying one until I have actually tried one out doing a real workout instead of trying one for 30 seconds at the store. Maybe you could get a free pass to a local gym for the day to try one out. I've considered doing that myself. Just a thought. I would like to hear what everyone else has to say about them.

My family got one about a year ago. It's a Nordic Trac CXT910 from Sears. Unfortunately, I don't use it that much because it was murder to put together- we must've done something wrong because it clanks a bit which gets annoying.

As for the workout, I think it provides a great workout. I'm an advanced exerciser and my HR goes up and I feel it in my lower body. I usually do intervals- I up the resistance, speed, or add an incline. I watch tv while doing it or else I'd probably get bored. My mom who is NOT in good shape can only do it for 5-10 mins so it does give a good but low-impact workout.

Our elliptical is pretty nice. It has digital displays and all these workout choices, but I really only use the time and intensity numbers. It has one of those HR measurers, but I don't think it's that accurate.

I have been dealing with Plantar Faciitis for 6 and a half months so I can't run anymore. Boo Hoo! Anyway, I have been using the eliptical at the Y and it's a very good, low impact simulation. I can get my heart rate in the high ranges and never lift my feet off the ground! They have very good ones at the Y, LifeFitness, I think, and they can be done forward or in reverse. Do your homework and get a good one and you'll love your eliptical workout!

http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule! B http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif bbi

The elliptical is the only cardio machine I use at the Y besides the trusty Airdyne bike. I think it gives a good workout, and I prefer the models with the arm poles so you get the upper body workout, too.

Just Do It! :)

Thank you all for answering my questions.. i am gonna go this weekend to sears and see what they have to offer.. thanks again

Candy :)

I have an elliptical and absolutely love it. I have gotten every pennies worth out of it. I love it on the days when the family is consuming the whole house, TV, living room, etc. It gives me a place to go where I can be alone, on my elliptical and not be bugged by anyone!

I got it online at www.iconfitness.com I have bought several items from them. They ship them directly to your house via truck. Usually you can get free shipping, free financing (although I heard they have started charging for finance). They just hit your bank account every month or of course you can pay it off all at once if you want.

Mine is a Proform 700 crosstrainer I think. I think they are on sale right now for like $300! It is awesome! I am only 5'3" and bought a Nordic Track. When I got it the strides were way too long for me and I hated it. So... I went online at iconfitness.com and printed off all their ellipticals. Then, I took them into the stores and tried out they ones they had and ordered the one I wanted. I also made a few calls to find out what store had it.

They sell most of the major brands, Nordic Track, Reebok, Proform etc. They also sell weight sets, treadmills, bikes etc. They have been a lifesaver for me. I also bought a universal weight set from them and absolutely love it!

Good luck!!!!! Hope this helps:)

-Pammer http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/sport/sport001.gif If Only I Can Be 1/2 the Woman my Dog Thinks I am!

Candy-
My experience may be unique. But I cannot keep my heart rate in its target zone on the elliptical trainer without going into muscle failure. Logically, I can think of only two possible reasons:

1. I do so much strength training, that my legs are always a little tired; or

2. I don't do enough leg training, and I have weak leg muscles.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I do regular strength and endurance training, usually twice a week for each muscle group. I just wanted to say this in case there is any possibility you might be in the same situation. I have this same problem with the stairmaster.

As others have said, I strongly suggest you try it at the gym a few times, or try someone else's a few times before buying.

-Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.