Effectiveness of low impact ripped with HIIT

grad2010

Cathlete
Good evening, everyone, its been a long time since I have posted on Cathe or any other fitness forum. But I do have a question for anyone that can answer (hopefully Cathe). I want to lose 40 pounds this year, so I started the 3 month rotation of the STS program. I also feel that I need to add some cardio, not too long or intense. I am on week 1 of the STS program and I added the low impact workouts from the riiped series. I weight train Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday (STS) and will add cardio Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I am finding that the low impact are good, however, it doesnt seem to challenge me enough. I am used to being out of complete breathe, whenever I do any cardio. So my question is "how effective is the low impact workout"? Should I be out of breathe during and after? I don"t want to go "all out" for at least another month, I need to gradually work my way up for high intensity cardio. I am also finding that the STS workouts, are not that challenging for me either. When I first tried the STS program (when it first came out), I was sore for days. I have completed disc 1 and 2 with no soreness. I have competed low impact 1 and 2, over the next couple of weeks I want to add the longer premixes. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am just a little confused

Best, V

Hi V,
I think you've chosen an excellent program to build the muscle that will in turn help burn the fat. If you find STS not challenging then my first thought is that you are not using heavy enough weight and for the leg exercises with the step you could try increasing the step height. As for the low impact Hiit, it's certainly not as tough as other interval programs but I think it's good to have the variety of different intensities and not be going all out with every workout. I'm not sure if you chose that DVD because of joint issues but if you do not have injuries then the Plyo Hiits would definitely have you sucking wind big time and create that afterburn effect we like to have! Or if you do have to stick to low impact, maybe try a few of the workouts from the actual Low Impact series like Afterburn etc. Your workout is only as effective as you can make it so squat and lunge lower, increase weights when you can and be persistent.
Good luck to you,
Jamie

Last edited:
Jamie, thanks for replying. The reason why i choose to do the low impact hiit workout is because I have been inactive for about 6 months. In the past, I have jumped right into a workout with the hardest routine; thinking that would help me lose the weight quicker. But I never make it past week 3! So, I am trying a different approach. I am going slow and steady and will increase my cardio (both time and intensity) and weight training gradually. I repeated the 1 rep max test, and my weight amount has changed dramatically (low poundage). However, I just completed the 3rd disc for the STS-legs, and it was a killer. I think I will be sore tomorrow or the next day. I also decided to try one of the pre-mixes of the low impact hiit (the repeat twice mix) and I found that a little more difficult on the second round. Now, that I know the routine, I also gave it more "ump". I noticed the difference. I have taken the advice of a dear friend, "stick with one exercise routine for a year". So, my plan is repeat STS for another 6 months, each 3 months I will the 1 rep max test. After every 3 months, I will take a break from STS and doing something different, such as x train for a month. I hope that explains why I choose the low impact hiit, my routine will include the plyo workouts, when I start Meso-cycle 2.

Just wanted to add, I thought the low impact workouts were going to be harder for me. I am just surprised that it wasn't. Again, with most cardio, I am used to gasping for air after a workout. This is no reflection on the workouts, it is just me.

Last edited:
1."I have taken the advice of a dear friend, "stick with one exercise routine for a year".

2." After every 3 months, I will take a break from STS and doing something different, such as x train for a month".

3." I hope that explains why I choose the low impact hiit, my routine will include the plyo workouts, when I start Meso-cycle 2."

--No need to do number 1 and you'll suffer major boredom and a plateau effect in your training if you do. Your body will respond pretty quickly. By the end of STS first time around, major changes will have occurred, and these improvements in fitness will have you champing at the bit to dive into other workouts in Cathe's DVD library, so at that point, don't hesitate, spread your wings and challenge yourself more!

--Number 2 = good!

--Number 3: I think the plyo routines are actually in STS mesocycle 3, not 2........

Clare

Maddiesmum, thank you for replying. And I agree with getting bored if I follow "one exercise routine for a year". I am just going to wing it and see how I feel. I am definitely going to complete at least 2 rounds of STS. The plyo that I was referring to was the plyo hiit workouts. I am just not there yet. But I do have another question, if you dont mind answering. When I take a break from STS, should I take a break from Cathe workouts and try something different? Or continue using Cathe, just different workout DVD's. I also know that eating very clean is paramount for weight lost, I actually started eating clean 2 weeks ago and I have lost 5 pounds already! I have to take baby steps; eating clean for a couple weeks, followed by exercising. Whenever I do too much too soon, I loose focus and never complete anything. I have learned to accept that is how I am, and go with it.:)

1. "When I take a break from STS, should I take a break from Cathe workouts and try something different? Or continue using Cathe, just different workout DVD's?"

-Either approach is fine. A lot of us here have workouts by other fave instructor we use all the time, in combination with Cathe. It's good to have variety as each instructor teaches in a different way, emphasizes different sorts of lifting techniques with different equipment, or simply approaches the body with different philosphies. It's all good, and Cathe would be the first to tell you to experiment to find what works for you and what makes you feel good. Feel free to be free to experiment.

2. "Whenever I do too much too soon, I loose focus and never complete anything. I have learned to accept that is how I am, and go with it.:)"

-- Two things here and great wisdom. First, any article you see anywhere on making lasting changes will conform what you have said here: you cannot change everything at once: it won't last! Small steps, incremental changes, that is the way to successful improvements and making lasting changes in life. Second, knowing yourself, strengths and limitations, is paramount, in all areas of life. Where fitness and health are concerned, nobody knows your body like you do, personality dictates our fitness pursuits and approach more than we might think and should be taken into account always, and also, just because someone tells you an exercise approach is recommended, doesn't mean it will work for you. It might work for the "ideal subject," but will it work for you? How does it make you feel? Is it something you can sustain?

You seem so sensible to me, your thinking is "right on": I foresee great success ahead for you on your new fitness journey. First and foremost, stay true to your own philosophy and self-knowledge. Then, you simply cannot go wrong.

Clare

Not Cathe here...but I'm just going to say that if you're not challenged by Cathe's Low Impact HiiT workouts, you're doing something wrong.
You've gotten great advice about STS and how to work through it. Keep in mind you don't need to "feel sore" in order for the workouts to be effective.
But the Low Impact HiiTs? Either RWH, Afterburn, All Out Low Impact, etc... If you're really working those, you should be fried by the end. Its certainly possible to cheat your way through the exercises by not squatting enough, or engaging enough...but if you're doing them as she means you to...you should be well winded by the end.
I've been a loyal Cathlete for years, and I routinely do 2-3 HiiT workouts each week on top of my steady state training. These all still work me hard, and I consider myself advanced.

Good luck on your journey.

Hi,

Just to add to what melicm posted.
I suggest you use a Heart rate monitor to gauge your input.
Your input is the effort while performing dynamic moves during low impact exercises.

Here is a vblog on heart rate monitor.

http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/training/the-fit-life-with-nicole-wilkins/heart-rate-monitors/
http://cathe.com/using-maximal-heart-rate-to-measure-exercise-intensity-is-the-formula-flawed
http://cathe.com/4-benefits-of-wearing-a-heart-rate-monitor-during-exercise

All the very best,

V, I am just amazed that you can do all the pushups in STS 1 and not have DOMS! You must still be in really good shape muscularly. As far as the cardio being too easy-try the STS Shock Cardio dvds. They are all less than an hour and are fun.

Beth

V, I am just amazed that you can do all the pushups in STS 1 and not have DOMS! You must still be in really good shape muscularly. As far as the cardio being too easy-try the STS Shock Cardio dvds. They are all less than an hour and are fun.

Beth

Ahhh.. No don't be amazed! I cannot do all the push ups ins STS 1. I can do a full push up, but not many. So I have learned to alternate on my knees. I usually do the first 4 on my toes, then I switch to my knees on the 5th one and on my toes on the 6th and so on and so on. I modify with everything that I cant do fully. I can now do one un-modified pull up, it took me a while to learn just one. With any moderation that I do, I give it 150 percent. I am hoping by my second round of STS that I will be able to do all the push ups on my toes! As far as the STS Shock Cardio DVDS, I have included those in my rotation. I just completed the 30/30 workout, it was a little tougher than I remember, but it was good. I will begin my last week of the MESO 1 and I will slowly add the PLYO workouts from the new series in Meso cycle 2. I think these workouts will wear me out!

Hi, Everybody!! I want some advice. I just started out working with Cathe after a long, long, long time, and am doing pretty good!! I have shocked myself!! I am starting out with RWH and interspersing it with XTRAIN and other heavy weight routines. Now, my body is short with short arms and legs, so it is really easy for me to put on weight and muscle!! I am 55, but I want to loose 40 lbs this year. Should I work out with more days of cardio and HiiT and only 2 days a week with heavy muscle??? I trust and welcome any suggestions from all you hard core Cathelite's!! Thank you so much, Glori

Glori,
Way to go! Congrats on giving yourself this wonderful gift ;)! My advice to you is to pick one of Cathe's rotations and stick with it until its end. After that, you can assess the results and pick another rotation and stick with it until its end....I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the time summer arrives....Cathe has many many rotations to choose from and all of them will challenge you and give you great results! Are you doing the official RWH + XTRAIN rotation right now? Don't forget to fuel yourself with nutritious food and get some good sleep! Put the scale away for a few months....this is going to be an exciting winter/spring for you and you will be changing in ways the scale can't measure! Good luck, keep us posted....YOU CAN DO THIS!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.