eating only fruit in the morning

amyjohauge

Cathlete
Does anyone have an opinion about the Fit for Life book that I have been reading by Harvey Diamond. I was wondering if anyone has actually changed their eating habits based on this guys advice and research. I have been eating fruit in the morning and nothing else until noon and have been getting headaches. Just curious if anyone else has read this book and what you think of it. :-hmmm

Wouldn't work for me personally

If I don't have some protein with a bit of fat in the AM with my carbs I would be a wreck. My favorite breakffast is a WW bagel with peanut butter. For me plain fruit is a sugar crash waiting to happen. It's not a pretty picture. :)

Erin

Hi! Had to put my two cents in. I love this diet! Before trying it, I never really ate much fruit, due to lack of interest. Now I love fruit and I only eat fruit and water in the morning. As I stated elsewhere on this website, the real bonus is by eating fruit early in the day, I seem to head off any sugar craving. I used to absolutely have to have something sweet at night. Now I don't. Eating fruit when you want a cookie or brownie, isn't going to cut it; but I never seem to get the craving now to begin with! I really think it's the fruit that does it. (Also, when I eat refined sugar products, there is a noticeable difference in me. I speed up and sometimes get hyper and can't sleep at night if I eat too much junk in the evening; that does not happen with fruit).

I'm wondering if you are used to coffee, tea or soda in the morning and are going thru caffiene withdraw. I had to give up caffiene a few years ago and had terrible headaches. If that is the case, don't worry, it will stop. Also, occasionally on the weekend I cheat and drink a cup of coffee (the fancy kind that I can't spell). I can then expect a slight headache on Monday's - late morning, early afternoon. I think that is caffeine withdraw.

Again, following their basic principals of eating healthier and (most of the time) food combining, I feel better then ever and my weight is pretty much where I want it now. In any case, my weight is more stable then ever before.

Hope this helps (and sorry for being so long winded)

Kathy M.

Kathy,
Thanks for your input. I do have one cup of coffee in the morning, but I guess I didn't think that little bit would matter to much. I will give it a try alittle longer. Thanks.:)

slowly incorporating it

I finally received my book on Monday and am reading it in my "spare time" (what is that anyway ;-)) But I have changed to all fruit in the morning and haven't looked back...OK so I gave up sweets for Lent and that's alittle extra motivation, but I haven't had any CRAVINGS for sweets since about changing to all fruit in the morning, it took a few days to get used to it...and some days I crave a bagel, but I only have a quarter of one (they're way too big anyway) and that's very rarely. And I don't have my midmorning slump either...where's lex hiding?!?
:-jumpy julie :-jumpy

My boyfriend and I have both implemented the fruit and juice only factors from Fit For Life. It's been over a month now and we both love it. We were cereal folks before that, but I'll never do that again.

I can tell you that when you change your eating habits to accomodate food combining and something as cleansing as the Fit For Life principles, your body sort of cleans house. You go through a detoxifying stage where you can experience all kinds of things, from flulike symptoms to headaches to muscle aches to mood swings. It's just your body trying to deal with bad bacteria and parasites exiting the body. Everyone reacts differently during a cleansing, but headaches are a very common symptom.

That could also be a symptom of dehydration, if you're not drinking enough water as well. Just a thought.

But the energy I have now that I do the food combining and follow the energy ladder suggestion is remarkable. I had some nasty effects at first, felt like I had a cold and my asthma flared up, but after a few weeks things started to slowly improve and now I feel fantastic. If you really want some great long term health, hang in there. Make sure you're eating enough, too. You can eat pretty much as much fruit as you like, and drink fresh juices and lots of good water. But do allow your body time to adjust to something that's so new.

I've read a ton of nutrition books and it's what I want to specialize in, sports nutrition specifically, and Fit For Life is the best book I've read so far. Just amazing information and I know from experience it's true. So you made a good choice, it's just hard in the beginning as you adjust. But it's worth it!

Hi,

I just started the fruit before noon thing about a week and a half ago. Shortly after I started this. I came down with a "cold". It went away within four days. I'm not sure if this was a head and chest cold or just the detoxification the book talks about. I did not find this hard to do. I love fruit. I used to eat Balance bars for breakfast.

My input would be to stick with it for a while and see. I'm still "testing the waters" with this plan myself. I have to admit he has some off the wall suggestions, like leaving a window open in the evening even if you need to use an extra blanket. Easy for someone who has lived in Santa Barbera CA and Houstin TX to say!!!!! In this respect he needs to "GET A CLUE". Can you imagin the waste in fuel not to mention the rising cost of it if all of us northerners did that? Sorry that has bothered me since I read that.

Again try it for a few more days and keep us posted. Are you trying his 4 week plan or just implementing parts of it as you can? I am slowly implementing this and will probably never adhere to his whole plan. I will probably always eat a little bit of diary and will ALWAYS eat meat. As someone who is also new to this I would like to hear others experiences.

Dawn

Listen to your body. This fruit thing doesn't work for everyone and can be dangerous for diabetics and hypoglycemics. Erin, I am in agreement with you. Protein in the morning or I can't think straight by 9:30 am. I'm hypo and my co-worker is diabetic. We eat this way for energy.

I read this book about 10 years ago. I looked in to the authors. It's my recollection that neither is a physician or a dietician. I could be wrong here, I has been awhile since I looked in to this.

Bottom line for me? I dont' think my stomach cares in what order the food hits it...as long as it's not one food item at a time and never, ever, just fruit.

DM

Does this plan advise you not to eat any dairy or meat? I'm curious about this plan and what the basic diet is like, I always here so much about. Thanks for any help.

Be careful if you are sugar sensitive!

I encourage anyone who suffers from mild depression or mood swings to consider the possibility that they might be sensitive to sugars. If this is the case, then a meal of just fruit or juices, especially first thing in the morning or on an empty stomach, could cause you to be an emotional wreck. There is a website called www.radiantrecovery.com that talks about sugar sensitivity.

I am no expert, and have not done extensive reading on nutrition like a lot of you have, but felt I should put in my two cents' worth in case there are others out there like me. I thought I was going nuts...irritable, depressed, quick to anger...but found that by understanding that I have highly volatile blood sugar reactions, I could make changes in my diet that prevented these horrible emotional rollercoasters. Protein and complex carbs are the key to my maintaining emotional balance.

Those headaches are trying to tell you something.
I followed the fit for life plan for a few months about 11 years
ago. I think that there are a lot of great ideas in the book, great ideas that can be integrated into a person's diet and lifestyle without following the plan to the letter. While the troubles I had with only fruit in the morning differed from yours (I'd be jittery and hungry often) I've read about many people having varied problems with this aspect of the diet. I'm no nutritionist, but these days I try to keep a close eye on my blood sugar level, and would never follow anything like that nowadays (but then again, I wouldn't follow any diet these days that wasn't specifically tailored to my own health and biology). With Fit For Life or any diet coming out of a bestseller book, use caution. Read it for positive interest, but take what applies to you, and flush what doesn't. The authors are not sitting with you one on one assessing your dietary needs. You need to be your own watchdog. Listen to your body.

Very good idea, good advice. But do also keep in mind that when your body is cleaning itself out, detoxing, headaches are a very common symptom. But you have to know your body and pay attention so you know the difference between temporary discomfort as you work towards better health and inadequate nutritional needs. If you are ever in doubt, err on the side of caution. But I think it's a good idea for everyone to learn how to really read your body's symptoms and know what it's trying to tell you. I think we all have that capacity, some of us are just so busy or listen to other people too much. We're all so different and certainly Fit For Life isn't for everyone. I've had tremendous success using the principles of food combining, the energy ladder and fruit in the morning, but that doesn't mean everyone will.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.