Eat This Not That...Whats the Real Story.....

dawnmh22

Cathlete
I just received "Eat This not that" and read some interesting things I wanted to share......

Eat This Not That......Whats the real story.....The food we consume today is simply different from that Americans ate 20 or 30 years ago and the reasons are as simple as they are sneaky.

We've added extra calories to traditional food-

In the early 1970's food manufacturers,looking for a cheaper ingredient to replace sugar,came up with a substance called High Fructose Corn Syrup.This new invention made perfect sense: corn was cheap and adundant -thanks to heavy government subsidies -and Americans had an ever-escalating desire for sweet foods. Today,HFCS is in an unbelieveable array of foods-everything from breakfast cereals to bread,from ketchup to pasta sauce,from juice boxes to iced tea. While most current research concludes that the body metabolizes HFCS in the same way it does ordinary sugar, this synthetic sweetner has a few sneaky"Advantages"Its cheaper to produce,it has a longer shelf life,and its liquid form makes it easy to incorporate into the types of products that never received the sugar treatments before(read whole grain bread). So Grandmas pasta sauce now comes in a jar,and its loaded with stuff just perfect for adding meat to your bones and flab on your belly.

We've been trained to super size it.

Its seems like Economics 101:If you can get a lot more just for a few cents more,then it makes all the sense in the world to upgrade to the"Value Meal" And since this trick has worked so well for fast-food marketers,your average product in the supermarket has become Hulkifiedas well. The problem is the way we look at food we should be looking at cutting down on our calories,not adding to them.

We've laced our food with time bombs

. A generation ago, it was hard for food manufactures to create baked goods that would last on stores shelves. Most baked goods require oils,and oil leaks at room temperature. But since the 1960's, manufacturers have been baking with -- and restaurateurs have been frying with something called "Trans Fats" Trans fats are cheaper and effective. It makes potatoes chips crispier and cookies tastier, and it lets fry cooks make pound after pound of fries without smoking up their kitchens. The downside: Trans Fats increases your bad cholesterol,lowers your good cholesterol, and greatly increases of heart disease.

Our fruits and vegetables are not healthy as they once were.

Researchers in a study in the journal of the American College of Nutrition tested 43 different garden crops for nutritional content and discovered that 6 out of 13 nutrients showed major declines between1950 and 1999: protein,calcium,phosphorus,iron,riboflavin,and ascorbic acid(vitamin C). Researchers say the declines are probably due to farmers efforts to achieve higher yields and plants that grow faster and can be picked earlier. As a result,the plants are not able to make or take in nutrients at the same rate.

Even the animals we eat are different today.

Heres'a terrifying statistic: The average piece of chicken has 266% more fat than it did 1971,while its protein content has dropped by a third,according to researchers. Because we no longer eat chickens that roam the farm eating bugs and grasses--today they are kept in cages andfed antibiotic -laced soy and corn and other unnatural food--todays chicken is actually higher in fat than it is in protein.(If that is what modern food management is doing to chickens,imagine what its doing to us!)

We're drinking more Calories than ever.

A study from a University found that we consume 450 calories a day from beverages,nearly twice as many as 30 years ago. This Increase amounts to an extra 23 pounds a year that were forced to work off-or carry around with us. Many of the calories come from HFCS in our drinks-especially ,when it comes to kids ,in our fruit drinks that are often nothing more than water,food coloring,and sweetner. In fact,anything you have for your kids to drink in your fridge right now-unless its water,milk,or diet soda-probably has HFCS in it, Go ahead read the label.

We don't even know whats in our foods

more and more,marketers are adding new types of preservatives,fats,sugars,and other food substances to our daily meals.Indeed,there are now more than 3,000 ingredients on the FDA's list of"safe" additives,and any one of them could end up on your plate. But often, they go unexplained(what is xanthan gum,anyway?)or ,in the case of restaurant food,unmentioned. Unless were eating it right off the tree,its hard to know what,exactly is in that fruity dish.

"The Little Bonus Ingredients the FDA allows in your food"

Canned Pineapple - 20% Moldy Fruit

Canned Tomatoes - 5 fly eggs or 2 maggots per 500 grams

Frozen Broccoli - 60 mites per 100 grams

Ground Cinnamon - 400 insect fragments or 11 rodent hairs per 50 grams

Peanut Butter - 30 insect fragments or 1 rodent hair per 100 grams

Popcorn - 1 rodent pellet in one sample or 2 rodent hairs per pound

Potatoe Chips- 6% rotten potatoes

dawnmh22,

Have you read any of Michael Pollan's books - The Omnivore's Dilemma or In Defense of Food? You might like them. They definitely changed my perspective on food and knowing where it comes from.

dawnmh22,

Have you read any of Michael Pollan's books - The Omnivore's Dilemma or In Defense of Food? You might like them. They definitely changed my perspective on food and knowing where it comes from.

Gayle,no I have not....I think I will check my library and see if they have them Thanks! Dawn

I haven't read that article before but have read similar accounts here and there, thanks for sharing this.

It seems like we are killing ourselves with food we eat these days. I have read studies that over 75 % of diseases can be prevented or even reversed with diet/nutrition.

Over the past several months I have changed how I shop and how my family and I eat. Mostly raw, unprocessed and plant-based food, usually I buy organic produce and other products at local farmer's markets. I only buy what I can recognize as a food and nothing with more than 5 ingredients on the label, especially the ones that you can barely pronounce :eek:

The FDA certainly does not live up to it's obligation and I would rely on their "safe" ingredients list as much as I would rely on the manufacturer's assurances that additives are safe.

Unfortunately most people don't even know what is in the food they are buying. It is shocking!

Eat This Not That books

I just received "Eat This not that" and read some interesting things I wanted to share......

Eat This Not That......Whats the real story.....The food we consume today is simply different from that Americans ate 20 or 30 years ago and the reasons are as simple as they are sneaky.

We've added extra calories to traditional food-

In the early 1970's food manufacturers,looking for a cheaper ingredient to replace sugar,came up with a substance called High Fructose Corn Syrup.This new invention made perfect sense: corn was cheap and adundant -thanks to heavy government subsidies -and Americans had an ever-escalating desire for sweet foods. Today,HFCS is in an unbelieveable array of foods-everything from breakfast cereals to bread,from ketchup to pasta sauce,from juice boxes to iced tea. While most current research concludes that the body metabolizes HFCS in the same way it does ordinary sugar, this synthetic sweetner has a few sneaky"Advantages"Its cheaper to produce,it has a longer shelf life,and its liquid form makes it easy to incorporate into the types of products that never received the sugar treatments before(read whole grain bread). So Grandmas pasta sauce now comes in a jar,and its loaded with stuff just perfect for adding meat to your bones and flab on your belly.

We've been trained to super size it.

Its seems like Economics 101:If you can get a lot more just for a few cents more,then it makes all the sense in the world to upgrade to the"Value Meal" And since this trick has worked so well for fast-food marketers,your average product in the supermarket has become Hulkifiedas well. The problem is the way we look at food we should be looking at cutting down on our calories,not adding to them.

We've laced our food with time bombs

. A generation ago, it was hard for food manufactures to create baked goods that would last on stores shelves. Most baked goods require oils,and oil leaks at room temperature. But since the 1960's, manufacturers have been baking with -- and restaurateurs have been frying with something called "Trans Fats" Trans fats are cheaper and effective. It makes potatoes chips crispier and cookies tastier, and it lets fry cooks make pound after pound of fries without smoking up their kitchens. The downside: Trans Fats increases your bad cholesterol,lowers your good cholesterol, and greatly increases of heart disease.

Our fruits and vegetables are not healthy as they once were.

Researchers in a study in the journal of the American College of Nutrition tested 43 different garden crops for nutritional content and discovered that 6 out of 13 nutrients showed major declines between1950 and 1999: protein,calcium,phosphorus,iron,riboflavin,and ascorbic acid(vitamin C). Researchers say the declines are probably due to farmers efforts to achieve higher yields and plants that grow faster and can be picked earlier. As a result,the plants are not able to make or take in nutrients at the same rate.

Even the animals we eat are different today.

Heres'a terrifying statistic: The average piece of chicken has 266% more fat than it did 1971,while its protein content has dropped by a third,according to researchers. Because we no longer eat chickens that roam the farm eating bugs and grasses--today they are kept in cages andfed antibiotic -laced soy and corn and other unnatural food--todays chicken is actually higher in fat than it is in protein.(If that is what modern food management is doing to chickens,imagine what its doing to us!)

We're drinking more Calories than ever.

A study from a University found that we consume 450 calories a day from beverages,nearly twice as many as 30 years ago. This Increase amounts to an extra 23 pounds a year that were forced to work off-or carry around with us. Many of the calories come from HFCS in our drinks-especially ,when it comes to kids ,in our fruit drinks that are often nothing more than water,food coloring,and sweetner. In fact,anything you have for your kids to drink in your fridge right now-unless its water,milk,or diet soda-probably has HFCS in it, Go ahead read the label.

We don't even know whats in our foods

more and more,marketers are adding new types of preservatives,fats,sugars,and other food substances to our daily meals.Indeed,there are now more than 3,000 ingredients on the FDA's list of"safe" additives,and any one of them could end up on your plate. But often, they go unexplained(what is xanthan gum,anyway?)or ,in the case of restaurant food,unmentioned. Unless were eating it right off the tree,its hard to know what,exactly is in that fruity dish.

I LOVE those books! Such a great idea to just make some easy switches with stuff you would eat every day and lose weight easily! I recommend them to everyone who will listen.

Right now I'm on a mission to find the best pancake mix or frozen waffles to get me off my angel food cake fix, which I eat every cheat day. Of course I could make my own.....

The FDA certainly does not live up to it's obligation and I would rely on their "safe" ingredients list as much as I would rely on the manufacturer's assurances that additives are safe.
The FDA, IMO, is one of the biggest jokes in this country. It does absolutely nothing worth anything. :mad::mad::mad:

Missy

Yikes! :eek:
Thanks for the thread!

Unfortunately most people don't even know what is in the food they are buying. It is shocking!
ITA
Both the FDA and the USDA are far from being 'consumer protection' groups as they should be.

And I agree that most people don't even know (or is it 'care'?) what's in their food.

I don't buy much packaged food in grocery stores, but when I do, I always make sure I know what all the ingredients are, and there are few of them.

Anyone know what eurithritol (sp?) is? I've seen that lately as a sweetener.

And don't forget the 'mucus' (from mastitis) that the FDA or USDA allows in milk (at a much higher amount than other countries do).

I'm gonna have to get those books!

I recently had a 7 year old boy in to the clinic who was 94# and only about 46 inches tall! His mother suddenly realized how BIG he was an that no he wasn't big boned! My sons are taller and heavier than average but their BMI is around 22-normal. I went through his diet with his mom, meal by meal, snack by snack, and she was amazed at the small changes that could be made that could make him healthier-and her too as she has diabetes! HFCS is so sneaky because it just whets the appetite for more sweets...same with artificial sweetners...we are definitely facing an epidemic in our younger generation.
This year I have committed to grow my own veggie garden. I always grow tomatoes and can my own spaghetti sauce, tomato juice and salsa (tastes better and I'm PRETTY SURE I haven't included any bug carcasses!) but I want to grow peas, beans, salad greens, squash and taters...tastes so good and would be a great learning experience for our sons. We're fortunate to live on a farm, and one of our friends raises chickens-never cooped up but range (large cage) freely...I can tell the difference in the eggs and chicken. Haven't ventured so far to ask my DH for a milk cow...but the thought is tempting :D
Thanks for the interesting thread-I had looked at the books briefly but never got too far-they're on my list now!
Julie

ITA
Anyone know what eurithritol (sp?) is? I've seen that lately as a sweetener.

I'm guessing it's erythritol. It is a sugar alcohol. Touted as a natural sugar alcohol. Many people find that they can tolerate this one better than some of the other sugar alcohols (mannitol, sorbitol, etc). I'm not one of them. I can't tolerate much of any sugar alcohol.

I did notice that they're marketing Truvia now. Interesting that it's pushed as a natural sweetner - stevia - from a plant. But the first ingredient is erythritol. Possibly because stevia is so very potent and it needs to be 'cut' by something for most people. But still... :confused:

My preference when I want extra sweetness is stevia (without erythritol) or agave nectar. Stevia comes in many different formulations - liquid, concentrated powder, packets, etc. and is available at most health food stores and Whole Foods. I should also add that I'm mostly a raw vegan so I avoid a lot of things.

My preference when I want extra sweetness is stevia (without erythritol) or agave nectar. Stevia comes in many different formulations - liquid, concentrated powder, packets, etc. and is available at most health food stores and Whole Foods.

Same here, though I'm also rather intrigued by Yacon syrup, which is another plant-based sweetener that is claimed to have many positive effects. I've never tried it (though I've tried the dried fruit), but www.sunfood.com has it on sale for 1/2 price.

Surely all those insect parts have upped the protein values in our food!

I think were are one of the few cultures that will not (willingly) eat bugs:eek::eek:

Dawn, thanks for this thread. I've seen that book and thought it was gimmicky. Like eat Subway instead of McDonalds type book. Now I'm going to pick it up the next time I'm at the book store. Thanks!!!

Julie, I too live on a farm and grow my own veggies(during summer months)can't bringmyself to buty tomatoes this time of year, want to wait for my own...we also have chickens, love fresh eggs, and we have Angus(grass fed)and love the lean beef. Our neighbor is a dairy farmer, havent' developed a taste for fresh milk yet, I prefer 1%. WE also have a big pond stocked w/ fish and eat that during the summer. My DH abd DS hunt so we also have lean venison, turkey, duck, goose...love the fresh from nature stuff, but also enjoy potatoe chips:), ice cream...

..can't bring myself to buy tomatoes this time of year, want to wait for my own...
ITA! Nothing like picking those grape or cherry tomatos ripe and eating them straight off the plant (which is often what I do! Unless there's bird poo on them).

Yesterday, I was in the grocery store, and I saw watermelon. I LOVE me some good watermelon, but the thought of dead-of-winter, tasteless watermelon was not appealing in the least.

This is why I cook!

Some people may think I'm nuts (my older brother) but darn it, I'm not putting garbage in my mouth anymore. Its not worth the seven minutes of pleasure to abbreviate my life. Boo hiss commercial food industry, I think they stink.:mad:

I have learned to bake my own treats. I feel pretty good about organic whole wheat flour, sugar, eggs (local organic) and organic milk. And, the cool part is that with truly home made treats they satisfy the craving (say its chocolate brownies.) with one or two servings as opposed to never satisfying you at all. Thats the thing with the Corn Syrup adds, saying that in moderation its not worse than sugar. But HFCS over rides your ability to regulate your own eating. It blocks the hormone from reaching your brain telling you that you have eaten. So, the one thing you can't do is eat in moderation.

I'm giving serious thought to putting in a green house. We have the space. Maybe I should just grow what I eat. I have access to organic cattle. I could get organic local dairy too. Hmm. I can even get a solar cooker for free from the power company. Its only moist food, no searing, but hey solar is free!

Stoneyfield ice cream

I do have a weakness for that. In the dark chocolate, yummo. So, I'm not 100% little miss virtue, not yet anyway.

Some people may think I'm nuts (my older brother) but darn it, I'm not putting garbage in my mouth anymore. Its not worth the seven minutes of pleasure to abbreviate my life. Boo hiss commercial food industry, I think they stink.:mad:

I have learned to bake my own treats. I feel pretty good about organic whole wheat flour, sugar, eggs (local organic) and organic milk. And, the cool part is that with truly home made treats they satisfy the craving (say its chocolate brownies.) with one or two servings as opposed to never satisfying you at all. Thats the thing with the Corn Syrup adds, saying that in moderation its not worse than sugar. But HFCS over rides your ability to regulate your own eating. It blocks the hormone from reaching your brain telling you that you have eaten. So, the one thing you can't do is eat in moderation.

Good for you!

And I agree about cravings: processed foods like chips and cookies and white flour/white sugar junk don't satisfy me and I could eat a whole bag/box of them, loading up on calories without getting necessary nutrients (and from what I've read and experienced, MINERALS are what are sorely lacking in many people's diets, and what the body craves and wants to keep eating to get enough of).

I also agree that, while one can 'treat' onesself, there are some things that are better not to ever eat: HFCS and hydrogenated or partially-hydrogenated oils (transfats) are two of those in my book.

I got to look at my friend's copy {of the Kids and Supermarket version} Wed night and found it very interesting. We decided the idea was 'we know you are going to eat these things anyway...pick these not these"

I thought the vending snacks section and the weekly menu plans were interesting. Especially the meatloaf beats chicken casserole.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.