Early Check-in

RE: A later check-in

Debra!!!
Great week as always and be careful with that knee girl!
Also gotta give ya a

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TERPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

before i sign out. hehehee
Trevor :)

RE: Yowza!!!

Hey Debbie!!
That shower sounded like a blast! What a super grandma that baby will have!
Hope the elbow is almost back to normal.
Trevor :)

RE: New to Check In

Welcome Laura!!
Pop tarts.........my favorite quickie breakfast while driving to work!! :)
Trevor

RE: Me Again!

Hi Debbie!! Thank you for the permission!! I had to ask Cathe about it also! Tee hee hee!!! I am taking the week off though, even my DH said that I've been looking a little haggard here lately. As for T-ball, nope. Not allowed to practice indoors. As long as it's 50 degrees or over, it's a green light to practice. So I got lucky quite a few time last week and the week before. This week? FORGET ABOUT IT!!!! That's ok, though. I am taking this week and relaxing and psyching myself up to lose the last of my winter weight and gain some serious strength to boot! Have a great week and don't get too cold!! We're supposed to have record lows tonight! YUCK!!!!!

Thanks Erica!

It was a very special day filled with lots of friends & fun! As far as the vids go, I think I would recommend Mindy at this point but that is only because I have done her vid 3X & I really like it. I have only done Jay's 1X. If I remember, his was good too but I just can't remember it well. I need to dust it off this week & try it again and then I'll check back with you. We STILL have not received our JohnnyG tapes yet!! Grrr! Which one do you have? I'm so glad you were able to get a spin bike. We'll have to compare notes! Sorry for joining Trevor on his rant! We really meant no harm. I DO FIND it hard to understand how someone can jog & read though?? Have a good week Erica & I'll give Jay a try soon. Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Thanks Trevor!

The whole day was a blast! Baby stuff everywhere! I'm sure you can relate! Thanks for the kind words. You're a pretty special Dad yourself! Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Hi Deb

I live in Irvine but grew up in Fresno with quite a few places in between. Your comment about running on the canal banks brought back memories of lots of childhood mischief. Great place to run & it does seem a little cooler with the water.

It may not be the smartest thing to do, but I frequently ride alone during the week. I've considered club rides but I'm selfish with my workout time. You've got some great rides between you & Millerton. Lots of options to the east too. Most cycling clubs are very good at mentoring so if you're really interested check out the Fresno Cycling Club.

Debra

Hey spinning queen!

Debbie, make sure you're not locking your elbows when you're spinning. It's pretty common. Remember soft elbows, very little weight on handle bars (they're for balance) except for those really, really tough "climbs." Using commercials for intervals is very clever.

Thanks Debra!

Thanks for the reminder! One thing about Mindy & Jay's tapes is that they do keep reminding you to change positions of your hands quite often. This is a good reminder for me as I used to have a problem with carpel tunnel. Thanks, I will keep your tip in mind as I spin-away! Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

RE: Hi Deb

WOW! LOOK EVERYONE SOMEONE ELSE WHO IS FROM THE CENTRAL VALLEY IN CALIFORNIA....!!!! Debra, you have no idea what warm fuzzies you gave me when you said..M-m-millerton! Okay, sniff, snort, I'm better now. Your advice about the Fresno Cycling club is a good one. I'll get my bike fixed and check it out. Right now I'm exploring the idea of a Wind-trainer for my cycle. Yea, I got into some mischief on the canals as a kid too. You should see Clovis/Fresno now-shoot a girl has run a loooooong way just to find those scenic country fields now. Grew up here and have never left so, I know . Great chatting with you! Deb D

RE: Debra...

Thanks Nancy, I saw the thread at VF & I'm looking forward to it. I think the other is a Tai Chi or kickboxing w/ Safel. I like the stretching in Cole's tape. Though Yoga for Athletes has opened my eyes to my lack of balance.

Hi Erica!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-01 AT 11:12PM (Est)[/font][p]I just wanted to let you know that I did Jay's tape today and I really like it too! I think his tape and Mindy's tape coordinate well together so if possible, I would get both. Out of the two, I would say Mindy's is a bit more of a challenge? NancyC, do you agree? That is not to say that Jay's is not intense. I was a drenched rat when I finished and it may have been my endurance level today, but I felt really good after the challenge. Okay, now that I have been ABSOLUTELY no help in your deciding which to get, I'll spend your $$$ and tell you, GET THEM BOTH!! ;-) I liked Jay's intervals where he splits his background exercisers into teams. That is fun. Then there is Mindy riding up that steep hill to a picnic before everyone eats all the potato salad!! Let me know what you decide. I came back to edit this! I forgot to ask you how your hamstring is??? Hope it is healing fast! Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Thanks Debbie!!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-01 AT 08:45AM (Est)[/font][p]Double posted - sorry!
Erica

Thanks Debbie!!

I am going to order Mindy's today!! That's the one I was leaning towards anyway, but I heard the music to it and it is so awful that I was afraid it would make me nuts. But, if it's a good workout, I'm willing to suffer through the music.
I'm sure I'll be ordering Jay's before long, though!
My hamstring is much better! I ran a LOT last week and I think my body was complaining. I went for a short run yesterday and felt it in my hamstring again right away, so maybe I am going to have to cut back on the running for a while.
Thanks so much for the spinning reviews! Oh - I have the first Johnny G tape - Phase I? I like it, but it is short and I need some variety.
Hope that elbow is healing for you and that you are enjoying this sunshine finally!!
Erica

Yes!

Debbie...I'm late reading stuff this week:-(...and I was just at chat last night with Erica talking a little spinning too;-). I have to agree that Mindy has the edge over Jay on toughness. Mindys seems longer too:-hmmm, could be wrong on that. These are my two favorite spin tapes...wish/hope more come out like them.

One reason I like Mindys and find her more challenging is she pushes you. I need that. In the end section of Precision where you can jump in and go all out with any or all of the teams depending on how you feel...I'd be better off if they didn't tell me to skip the next group if I needed a rest..you know, find your own pace..I like to be pushed;-) and I like a pacer to make me do that next mile..or make it to that picnic..like Mindy says.

Erica...I bet you'll find the same thing with Mindys over Jays too:). Not that Jays isn't good..just different motivation.

http://members.aol.com/naconfer/images/springchickvfnutsig.jpg

Nancy, Bugging you again!

I just finished Jay's tape. I wore my hear rate monitor again today because I found the other day when I did his tape that sometimes when he was doing the team intervals, I would drop below my THR while recovering, sooo today, I decided to do every other interval instead of every three and it worked! (In other words, I would do an interval, recover during the next team and then join back in on the next interval.) I am one Sweaty-Betty right now. Just thought I'd share that if you want to challenge yourself since Jay doesn't push quite as hard! The workout felt great. Also, I was wondering~Does it hurt the bike to pedal backwards? I find that pedaling backwards really hits the back of my legs more instead of the quads. I looked thru my instruction manual we received with the books but it didn't say anything. Maybe, someone out there who has taken a spin class would know?? I pedal backwards on all the recovery sessions just to hit my hams & rear. TIA for any advice. I don't want to do any damage to the bike. Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH "If You Get The Chance To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!" :)

Not sure Debbie

I don't know about the pedaling backwards thing:-hmmm. I know that when I switched to the pedals you clip to..it made a difference in hamstring usage;-). You can pull up more on the back stroke of the movement when clipped in and it seems to target the hams more.

You know, that's how I end up doing during Jays Intervals too:7...but it's really easy for me to get lazy and do every third team...I like it better if they tell you "now, don't be sitting this one out";-).

Gosh with all this spin talk, I'm ready for a ride..but I'm stuck with just the DVD player till Friday when I replace my evil video eating VCR!x(

http://members.aol.com/naconfer/images/springchickvfnutsig.jpg

Oh No!

You are VCR-less!! :-( Hope it didn't eat any GOOD tapes!!:9 Thank goodness there are workouts on DVD's. I'll be thinking of you next time you do Jay's tape & I'll be yelling, "EVERY OTHER INTERVAL, Nancy!! Hee-Hee!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH
"If You Get The Chance To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!" :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.