DVD brands that HAVE NOT had problems with Cathe's dvds?

RhiannonW

Cathlete
With the new Hardcore series coming out, Cathe is forcing me to buy a DVD player for my workout area.
I've read some brands have had problems playing her dvds.

PLEASE help me figure out which brand to buy. I cannot afford to buy another if I find out mine won't play them.

THANKS everyone.

I got mine at Costco for $90. Its a Toshiba and has never given me ONE problem! In fact, we also have Sony, Apple, and Samsung and none of those have given me any problems, either.

I have a Panasonic and have had only one problem with her DVD's and that was I had to manually skip over the Pause card when using the BB DVD's. SNM recommends a Sony player. I also just bought a portable DVD player for my basement which plays all my Cathe DVD's without a problem. It's an Initial and it hooks up to my TV. It was $179 at Circuit City.

I own a Samsung Progressive Scan 5-disc player, model #C631-P - it is an inexpensive one (given away by a furniture store as part of a promotion). Never any problems with any Cathe DVDs.

I have a JVC single disc player and have never had a problem with any of Cathe's DVDs, or any other DVD for that matter. I own all JVC components now because it's been the best quality I've ever found and it lasts a long time (for me at least!).

I had one problem with the older Panasonic player I had. I recently bought a Sansui Recorder/Player and have not had any problems with it playing Cathe's DVDs so far.

RE: DVD brands that HAVE NOT had problems with Cathe's ...

Hi Rhiannon

I agonized over this as well. My husband recently got me a 5 disk panasonic home theater system from Costco (SA-HT690). It was $300, but had a $100 rebate. It also has a fancy sound system, which was important to him:), although I have to admit that the subwoofer makes the workouts more fun.

I have had no problems with it at all, although I have not tried the workout blender. I also have to manually skip over the pause card in my KPC/L&G workout, but this does not bother me.

By the way, I always wanted to tell you that our oldest daughter is named Rhiannon and I have not yet met another Rhiannon. Her name gets mutilated alot because it is rather unusual (Rhianna, Breanna, etc), but I love the name.

Best of luck with the DVD player--DVD technology is so fantastic, I don't want to use my videos much anymore. You will love it.

Maggie

My Samsung combo vcr/dvd for $139.00 at the time gives no trouble.

Cathy

I have White Westinghouse that is 5 years old and it plays all my Cathe's fine.

My cheap RCA I got from Walmart USED to be without problems (ie: no problems with the Body Blast series), but that's before it met "High step training: advanced."

My Sony 5 disk player was also fine until it met High Step Training Advanced..... I think I may also have a couple of glitches with the Body Blasts but nothing major enough to complain about.

I also have Progressive Scan with no problems at all. Very inexpensive as Sam's Club--maybe $39, if I remember correctly.

Shari

Hi mine is a CyberHome mini DVD player(it's very small) it has progressive scan and is programmable. I got it at Walmart for $50- Canandian. CH DVD 300 is the product #. It's great no problems at all. Sue

There's really very little difference "under the hood" between brands of players. Most, in the end, are Korean parts. Like virtually anything, you pay more for better known brand names.
I think it's ridiculous to buy a DVD player to play a certain disc. The disc should play, regardless of player used. The real issue is how the disc is manufactured, packed, unpacked, and handled by the user. These things are nowhere near as indestructable as previously thought. In five to ten years when everything is on chips, like Smartmedia, and we all have to update our various collections of media AGAIN, perhaps these "play" issues won't be a problem.
T.

RE: DVD Players

Actually, there can be differences between players. Though the hardware may be the same or similar - the firmware is not. Your DVD player is really a small computer and as we and others add features to our DVDs, this can expose slight defects in your players firmware.
Also, problems are quite often caused by fingerprints on the disc. This is solved by simply cleaning the disc. About 20% of all the disc we get back just need to to be cleaned. An even larger percentage of problems with DVDs is simply caused by a dirty lens on a customers player. You can purchase a simple cleaning kit for your player for only about $10 that will solve many of your problems.

As for firmware issues we like to try educate as many of you as we can about DVD players and always advise you read the FAQ at DVDreview.com http://www.dvdreview.com/faq/dvdfaq.shtml ). Here is what they have to say on this subject:

[1.41] Why doesn't disc X work in player Y?
The DVD specification is complex and open to interpretation. DVD-Video title authoring is also very complex. As with any new technology, there are compatibility problems. The DVD-Video standard has not changed substantially since it was finalized in 1996, but many players don't properly support it. Discs have become more complex as authoring tools improve, so recent discs often uncover engineering flaws in players. Some discs behave strangely or won't play at all in certain players. In some cases, manufacturers can fix the problem with an upgrade to the player (see 1.47). In other cases, disc producers need to reauthor the title to correct an authoring problem or to work around a player defect. Problems can also occur because of damaged or defective discs or because of a defective player.

If you have problems playing a disc, try the following:

Check the list below to see if it's a reported problem. Also check the list of problem discs in DVD Review's Film Vault and at InterActual's tech support page. Try a newsgroup search at Google.
Try playing the disc a few more times. If you don't get the exact same problem every time, then it's probably a defective or damaged disc. Make sure the disc isn't dirty or scratched (see 1.39).
Try the disc in a different player. (Visit a friend or a nearby store that sells players.) If the disc plays properly in a different player then your player is likely at fault. Contact the manufacturer of your player for a firmware upgrade. Or, if you bought the player recently, you may wish to return it for a different model.
Try a different copy of the disc. If the problem doesn't recur, it indicates that your first copy was probably damaged or defective. If more than one copy of the disc has problems in more than one player, it may be a misauthored disc. Contact the distributor or the studio about getting a corrected disc.
If it's a recordable disc (R/RW), your player might not be able to read it (see 4.3.1).

RE: DVD Players

Thanks for that article Chris. I understand it a little better now and did not even think that it could be player software(or firmware as they called it) related.
I am still of the opinion that if you have to buy players to fit a certain disc, that that's pretty ludicrous. Upgrading firmware is one thing but having to purchase extra players to play discs...well, forget that! LOL!
It seems to me that the disc technology is out-pacing the player technology and that there needs to be certain standards set. It's almost like the cart has been placed before the horse in this technology.
From what I have read I do believe that alot of problems are caused by poor handling and care. Those things are much more fragile than people realize. Just taking a disc out of its holder can cause flex in the glue holding it together, making it unplayable. I always thought that those spindles inside DVD packages that hold the disc in place should be replaced with something else. Perhaps just a sleeve to house the disc? I don't know.
I imagine this must be one huge headache for you guys at times. :)
Anyway, thanks for educating us a bit!
Trevor

We have five different DVD players in our house. The most expensive one is a DVD/Video combo (Sansung) and the cheapest one is a $69 portable (Phillips), we also have a sony ($79) and two other cheapos. I have not experienced any problems with Cathe's DVDs.

The problems might be actually caused by how the consumer are handling their dvds/players IMHO.

I would not worry about Cathe DVDs not working on any DVD player unless the player has been 'abused'/'overused' etc.

I think it's unfair that Cathe is getting this bad rep about her DVDs. They just work fine for me and all of my family members. People need to question their stuff/actions before they can blame Cathe - my opinion. I only have five cheapo different brand dvd players that work fine in addition to about 10 different brand dvd players in my family.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.