Dumb Question About Tipping

Shelbygirl

Cathlete
If you go to a nice restaurant (not a fast food place) and get take out, are you supposed to leave some sort of tip? I recently got a fairly large take out order from a nice Thai restaurant. The charge slip had a line for the tip on it and I put in zero. I know they bagged everything up, but does that really warrant a tip? Just curious. I always feel like a cheap skate when I put a big ol' goose egg in for the tip.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Shelbygirl

i think this depends on how big of an order you get. If you get a really large order that would have taken a lot more time and effort than just one little meal. Seems only polite to me to leave a tip. However, I don't think it needs to be a regular tip 15-20% tip.
just my 2 cents ^^

I don't tip when I get take-out either. I just figure, who would the tip be for? The waiter who didn't have to serve me drinks and food? Or the bus-boy who didn't have to clean up after me? ;)

I never give a tip for a carry out order. I think the receipts just print that way for any kind of order. Just my opinion.:)

Same as Shelley on this one.

I hate the pre-printed tip line. I feel so cheap putting nothing there. But it's the same as the tip jars at a fast food place. What are you tipping for? There's no service involved in that.

Thank goodness somebody brought this up. I'm so glad you all do the same thing. At my neighborhood pizza place, they keep a jar by the register for tips when I pick up my carry-out order. I mean, after all, isn't that why I'm picking it up? To save on delivery charges?!

What about Starbuck's? They do put a little more effort into making the drinks. Does anyone tip them?

Angie

I tip at Starbuck's type places because my order is always so freakin' high maintenance.

"But I'd like the pie heated, and I don't want the ice cream on top. I want it on the side, and I'd like strawberry instead of vanilla if you have it. If not, then no ice cream, just whipped cream, but only if it's real. If it's out of the can, then nothing."

You get Pie and Ice cream at Starbucks? Wow, all they offer us here (an hour away from Seattle, where it all began) are scones and muffins!!

I also tip at coffee places. I don't tip on take out either and always feel bad putting a zero, but I don't feel bad for that long, only until I'm out the door:p

Brandi

edited to add: now I get it. When Harry Met Sally.:p

I work at a restaurant that has takeout. You pick it up at the bar so the bartender is responsible for taking the order and getting your food out. They are usually the ones who get the meals together- it takes longer than regular meals since they have to get boxes and put all the condiments in little containers. They're not getting anything to do this.

At other places, the servers take the orders and complete them. Again, they're not getting paid extra and it's a pain when it's really busy, like a Saturday night.

So I think it's nice to give them just $1-4 depending on the order size.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.