Dr. Phil Episode - Body Issues

fit_4_forty

Did anyone see the recent episode where Dr. Phil talks to young girls about body issues? I meant to record it and forgot to, and am kicking myself over it! I have a 7 YEAR OLD daughter who thinks she is too fat, and it really bothers me that she is so young and is already worried about that! (I frequently try to explain to her that our focus is on being healthy, eating healthy, and staying active). Anyway, just wondering who caught the episode, and do you remember any of Dr. Phil's sage advice? I wanted to watch it and see if I should have my daughter watch it also. I wonder if you can get copies of the episode from somewhere? Thanks!

Hi. My daughter went through that for awhile also,starting in 4th grade, however old that was. I explained to her that her body would lengthen out as she got older, and just to avoid eating lots of junk food, sodas and such and she'd be fine. Then when she was 12 (mostly grown and looking womanly), and wanted to avoid fat, I told her how to actually do that by exercising and eating right. I think if you tell them "just be healthy" you lose credibility. You have to somewhat buy into what they want as they are too young to have a mature attitude about bodies. They do not want to be among the ranks of the obese, and why not be on their side and show them how to do that? Otherwise in their ignorance they are more likely to do stupid dieting, herbal diet pills, maybe even develop anorexia/bulimia.

I guided my daughter to be thin, therefore, she avoided eating disorders and learned healthy behaviors. Now at 17 she is 120 lbs and 5'8", works out 3 cardios and 2 wts a week, eats healthy but also enjoys the occasional chocolate or ice cream. Just my opinion, but since I have navigated this particular rocky shore already, I felt I could offer my perspective.

I appreciate getting your input, as someone who has been through this before. I agree with your statement, that to some extent I have to buy into where she is. I have to accept that she is concerned, and give her good information.

Thanks again!

Fit-4-40,

I didn't see the Dr. Phil show, but wanted to pop in and tell you, you aren't alone. My DS came home from 1st grade w/ a new awareness about "bad" food and fat/thin people. This education was on the bus and playground, unfortunately, and not in the classroom. He then started pointing out all the deemed "bad" and fattening foods wherever we were. Until this point, he had never noticed a person's size.

I could see he was becoming concerned for himself (and his sister, a year younger, would point out if she was eating a cookie or a chip), so the next time he made a comment I asked him if he was afraid of becoming fat and why (mind you, he is a string bean, wears a slim and they hang off him, his sister, too). He said he was, because then no one would like him. I continued by asking him what healthy food are. He listed a bunch a fruits, veggies and meats. "Do you eat a lot of those foods," I asked. "Yes," was his answer. I followed up with by asking him what he considered bad foods. Tied the conversation together by pointing out he ate far more healthy foods than treats--I won't call them bad foods. I am teaching them they can eat anything as long as it is in moderation and they've had their healthy foods first.

I also talked with him about exercise. Both kids do karate and swim. He would ride his bike 24/7 if we allowed it. Our DD also dances. Pointed out what Mommy and Daddy do for exercise. We concluded that our family lives a healthy lifestyle and we shouldn't worry too much about the size of our belly because of it.

I also emphasized he shouldn't judge a person by their size. We happen to have a close family friend who was in a car acident and suffered a head injury. The Drs haven't been able to find a medication that regulates her hunger and she has gained about 150 lbs. I asked him what he would think about people who call her names--and, sadly, there are many. He was appalled.

To make a long story short, I think communication is the key. And, leading by example. If we obsessive over the size of our thighs, the kids will notice.

Kerilyn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.