DOMS (again)

Justinef

Cathlete
Does anyone know what determines the D in DOMS? I know that time under tension, and volume of eccentric movement, weight lifted etc determines the S.....but when I try to search for anything about the delay, all anyone says is that DOMS occurs 24-48 hours after a w/o.

Recently mine have been more delayed than ever. 30 hours for the onset, peaking at about 40 hours. I used to just experience it the following day. It's messing up my schedule!!

PS I haven't changed my nutrition

I wish I knew the answer, but I'm not sure anyone does! I have read that the delay in soreness is generally due to the inflammation and tears that occur in the muscle/connective tissue after a workout + the process of rebuilding/restoring the muscle. It makes sense that muscle rebuilding and restoration process would take *some* time.

I've had DOMS come as late as 3 days after a workout...I'm talking to you, Great Glutes Extreme premix! ;) Talk about messing up my schedule! I wish I could predict when they will come. If take a break from exercising (vacation, illness, etc) then I pretty much know I'll get DOMS from whatever workout I do when I get back into a routine. But when I'm in a consistent routine (which is the norm), I can't really predict when/if they will come. Really killing it during a workout? Maybe I'll get DOMS, maybe I won't, and who knows when! Trying something new? Still no predicting the when/if of DOMS.

I've given up trying to figure out DOMS. I know that's not helpful to your question, but at least you can take comfort in knowing you're not alone in your confusion, right? :)

Lisa

If the "DOMS" is coming so late after a certain workout, or indeed any workout, can we be certain that it is in fact DOMS that follows from a particular workout session, and not simply a degree of extra soreness/stiffness related to the aging process?

I am currently, for example, going through a period of generalized additional soreness, muscle fatigue and achi-ness nearly all-week long, that seems to pertain to not any one workout in particular, but the very fact of exercising at all. I am diagnosing mine as a combo of reaction to a new medication I have been trying and the aging process (currently well in the throes of perimenopause). I need more rest time and more stretching. Also, I gave up the medication: couldn't stand all that muscle soreness after just the warm-up to my workouts. No tolerance for anything that messes with my exercise schedule!

So, my point was/is: it may be more than or other than DOMS. What else do you ladies have going on? How old are you?

Clare

When I first started working out with weights years ago, the DOMS would kick in the morning after. I have noticed that as my physical conditioning improved, the DOMS were showing up much later after a challenging workout.

I try to head the DOMS off by drinking some tart cherry juice for a day or two to alleviate some of the inflammation. I hope later DOMS onset is more of a reflection of improved fitness rather than aging or menopause.

I'm hoping Callygirl is right, and not Clare!!!! Although, yes, I'm perimenopausal (mid 40s) - my birthday tomorrow, and I'm at the stage I don't like them :p

I'm pretty sure it IS DOMS - it's very area-specific. At first I thought I may have changed something (diet, exercise intensity / duration...), but there's nothing which comes to mind.

Stretching and cherry juice......so be it.

Clare, sorry that you are dealing with medication-related issues. It's so frustrating that something can help us in one area of life, but simultaneously make other areas of life worse--as is so often the case with medicine. :( I hope you figure out the best solution for you.

My DOMs are definitely more related to those post-workout DOMS that Justine and Callygrrl described. I'm in my early 30s and haven't had any disruptive lifestyle changes of late. I don't get DOMS with every workout. My frustration is simply in the fact that they are so unpredictable, like the extreme butt soreness I felt 3 days after doing Great Glutes recently (I know those DOMS were due to GG because I hadn't done any lower body or cardio since doing GG...just an arms workout and regular day-to-day activities).

Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter. Yes, I can attest to the benefits of stretching and, unfortunately, foam rolling. I would add Epsom salt baths to the list. Will have to try the tart cherry juice.

Lisa

Kind of off topic, but I only get DOMS when I really switch up my routine. I tend to gravitate toward the same 10 or so Cathe workouts, usually Xtrain, but when I switch it up and do STS Meso 2 I get crazy DOMS in my chest. My hamstrings have been talking back to me since I did GG on Tuesday and it's now Friday! I think the intensity and onset just depends on the variety in your workouts. My delayed onset soreness usually starts 12 hours post workout and peaks at 24-48 hours. Again for me the intensity of it just depends on how "different" the workout was compared to my usual routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it's those darn hamstring roll ins with the ball. I can only do them with both legs on the ball. I can't imagine how sore I'd be if I did them single leg.[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.