Do you work out exclusively with Cathe?

Right now I'm doing mainly Cathe. Because of my newest vidoes that I've purchsed ie: BB and CTX. But otherwise I do Christy Taylor for Hi Low a lot, and if I'm not up for working out but feel obligated to do so I'll do Kari Anderson or Keli Roberts Ultimate Step workout. Both of those workout are oldies, but I still do them sometimes. As far as weights go I will only do Cathe, hers are the most effective out there as far as I know. I've tried the Firm, and those just didn't do it for me. I hated to lift until I found Cathes' weight workouts. I will aslo throw Tae Bo in the mix every now and then. Oh and in the summer I like to walk and bike too.

kathy

Hi There! I for the most part work out to Cathe but I also work out to Janis Saffell, Debbie Burns, Hilary Burnett, Rodney Yee, Keli Roberts and Terri Reeves. Kathy:D

I do Cathe almost exclusively for weight workouts. Occasionally I throw in the Firm or Kathy Smith if I'm feeling like I wanted to something less intense.

For cardio I like to work in a bunch of other instructors besides Cathe, especially for hi/lo workouts. Other instructors I like are Christi Taylor, Kari Anderson, Franny Benedetto, Gay Gasper, Seasun Ziegler, Rob Glick, Jay Blahnik, CIA videos, Petra Kolber, Gin Miller and Mindy Mylrea. I like the variety they offer as well as the fact that most of these instructors are not as 'impacty' on my joints, which is especially good news for my bad knees. I love Cathe's cardio, just can't handle it day in and day out.

I work out six days a week, doing Cathe videos plus 15-30 min of yoga afterward. In many rotations, I do a full (60 min) power yoga video one day, and Cathe vids for the other five. My abs respond to nontraditional ab work, so I sub Lotte Berk or Pilates for Cathe's ab work a few times a week. Once in a while (today, in fact), I do Christi Taylor for cardio.

RE: Hey Erica, re: spinning

Hi Kathy,

I have the V-Bike and am very happy with it. I use it a lot and have no complaints. My DH was impressed with the quality of the bike when we received it. I did need to buy a gel seat, but I'm pretty sure you would need to with any bike you buy. I bought the V-Bike because of all of the positive reviews at VF.

I did look at other models, but not much. Debbie H. recommended the Schwinn (she has one), but they were discontinued when I was looking for them. I know there are some other good bikes out there - maybe go to VF and do a search. Daphne M. from VF just bought a new brand that she's very happy with and I believe that Johnny G. just came out with new models.

I am definitely hooked on Spinervals workouts! I absolutely love them - they are very intense. I also have Mindy Mylrea's Sport Cycle and Jay Blahnik's Precision Cycling (I think that's right - it's been a while since I pulled them out). I think they are both great workouts, but I prefer Spinervals.

Hope this helps!! And I hope you love your new bike!!

Erica

Pretty much, yes. I run in the spring/summer/fall (which, where I live, means about 7-8 months of the year only). I also bike to work (not in the winter!), and have recently discovered spinerval dvd's, which I find are great for Cathe-like intensity.

I did a slim series rotation in January, and while it was fun and I liked the workouts, it really doesn't compare to Cathe. What I found was, funny enough, that my forearm strength has suffered from lifting only very light weights for about 6 weeks with Slim Series.

Also, last year in Oct/Nov/Dec, we moved, and I was unable to workout at home so I had to (gasp!!) go to the gym every morning. What I did was Pure Strength, from memory!! I could even hear cathe's various comments in my head!! I ended up lifting quite heavy for about 12 weeks at the gym doing pretty much exactly the PS tapes, in sequence, and I built some really good muscle.

Generally, although I do like to add in some other stuff, I find cathe to be the most trustworthy in a way...I know if I stick with her stuff, I'll be in really good shape, and also my fitness will be well-rounded.

Christine

I'd love to do Cathy workouts everyday and I do about 85 % of the time. the only problem I have is I only have 2 dvd's and whatever is on fit tv of her's so I have to throw in some other ones to vary it until I get more cathy vids. I'm hoping to get maybe one a month- or one every 2 months. I'm glad I have what I have though. I wish she would come out with a whole BOOT CAMP series because that's my favorite and I like the cardio on the floor without the tricky moves. although I am getting better as time goes on!!! I love cathe- her workouts rule!!! I look forward to it every day

I swim 3x a week and take a yoga class 2x a week and try to do yoga at home a 3rd time. In the summer I work some biking in. I do ALL of my strength training with Cathe and I usually do cardio with her 2-3 days a week. I would do all of my non-swim/bike cardio with her if she had more non-step workouts. Due to knee problems I've been told not to do step aerobics at all or no more than once a week at most. :(

When my knees can't handle Cathe cardio I throw in Debbie Burns or Janis Saffell for kickboxing. Just got Powerstrike too but haven't tried it yet.

I workout with Cathe 3-4 times per week. I teach 3 fitness classes per week (Barbells as well as yoga/pilates) at a local gym and do step classes there once in a while. In the summer I bike (alot) and run (a little).

Other home fitness instructors I like (but none as much as Cathe;-) ) are Charlene Prickett and some Karen Voigt. I love Bryan Kest's Power Yoga, but find that I am distracted by his very good looks:) I also like the 'Flow Series' with Tracey Rich and Ganga White.

I love having variety in my fitness and have just ordered Seasun Ziegler's step video as well as some Christie Taylor (my fingers are firmly crossed as nothing peeves me more than getting a new workout that promises intensity and finding it wouldn't challenge any reasonably fit personx( ) That's what keeps this endorphin junkie coming back to Cathe, it's all about the intensity Baby!!}( And she makes it so golly gosh darn fun:7

Take Care
Laurie

I also run, and incorporate using my Nordic Track with Cathe's step workouts. But as far as videos and DVD's I use Cathe. I have been using one of Karen Voights (GWW) for leg floorwork about once a week as I have alternated Standing legwork one day and floor legs the next day for a few weeks. But definitely Cathe is my favorite instructor!...:)...Carole

I have all of Cathe's strength-training workouts and I strength train as often as I can, all with Cathe, and I love it. My favorite thing about Cathe is how much she emphasizes proper form, so I never worry about getting injured. That's what sold me on her workouts.

As for cardio, I can't seem to follow choreography, so I do my power walking on the treadmill at the gym twice per week. The treadmill is pretty boring. I'm hoping to be able to follow Cathe's beginner step workout when it comes out, and do some cardio at home to liven things up.

I do all Cathe for strength. I also run, but most of the cardio that I do besides running is Cathe. Once in a while I throw in Christi Taylor or a CIA. I have just started trying to fit in yoga, also. I have soooo many different types of workouts other than Cathe, but I find that nothing is as enjoyable, or effective as hers!

Linda

I try to add in some yoga in here and there. I use runerval DVD's for the treadmill alot. Right now I'm doing a Slim Series rotation. When the weather is nice (spring to fall) I do most of my cardio outside, I love to mountain bike, hike and run. Other thatn that I am working out with Cathe, she is the best out there.

When I started working out I started with the Firm. Then I was introduced to Cathe and thats all she wrote. I do her exclusively now, I don't even want to try a different trainer.
Debbie in OH

I have to agree with the above post by Ki. Even though I really love my Cathe cardio/circuit workouts, I do like other ones as well. I enjoy variety. My all time favorite is Breakthru Body Blast, but I also like a little KS, Kari Anderson, Christi, Firms TBSM and a few of their parts tapes and the Tae Bo Live's that I taped years ago off pay per veiw. I may have to check out Janis Saffel since reading some posts. I wasn't sure how her intensity is. I have that one CIA from years ago, I think it is Step, Funk and Kickbox (I can't remember the name) It was just crazy. Jack disses Jill or something or other. Just too goofy and confusing for me. I guess thats why I haven't gotten any of her other vids.

Yes, I workout exclusively to Cathe. I just recently purchased the Powerstrike 1 video and although I enjoyed the workout, Cathe is much more challenging. I looking around to see what other stuff is available and threads like these help because I can see what the other Catheites do for variety.

I too started out with the Firm and had great results, but even "Standing Legs" (my toughest Firm workout) can't compare to Cathe. I do the Intensity Series and KPC/L&G almost exclusively (once in a while I'll throw in a Tae Bo), and combine them with lunchtime runs on the treadmill.

Her workouts exhaust me.

- Shopgirl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.