Do you use supplements?

Calee

Cathlete
If so, what do you use and why? I currently don't take anything, but wonder if I should look into it.
Thanks!

If nothing else, you should be taking fish oil. It's one of the best supplements on the market....especially one that high in DHA and EPA.

Fish oil has been proven to lower cholesterol, help protect joints, help reduce the cellular inflammation that causes/leads to athersclerosis and heart disease as well as TONS of other benefits!

I second the fish oil recommendation. I started taking it for the anti-inflammatory benefits, and it helped clear up my skin (which I wasn't expecting). I have battled acne for 20 years and had a pretty good handle on it with my topical stuff, but the fish oil was the icing on the cake. Now my skin behaves almost all of the time, even during my period.

I use a multi-vitamin soy drink, and I recently started taking a "multi-supplement" (for lack of a better word) that includes CoQ10, ALA, EGCG and Resveratrol. Those are again for the anti-inflammatory benefits.

I used to take a daily vitamin but got away from it. I really need to start doing that again.

Right now I use a recovery drink after my weight work outs and after really intense cardios. I also drink protein shakes a few times a week.

I also recently purchased and started taking a supplement that contains green tea and pyruvates, etc. It's supposed to aid in fat burning/weight loss. I've only taken it for 2 days so far so we'll see how that works out.

I need to get in on the fish oil thing too. I hear nothing but good things!

There's a new fish-free Omega 3/dha/epa supplement available. It's from algae (where fish get it too) and it's organic, sustainable and highly concentrated. It's also free of toxins that many fish contain. And it's better for the environment (1 kilo of fish oil takes 500 kilos of fish bodies to produce). So you guys may want to look into this alternative. I'm thinking about getting some now! I think my sister got some...maybe she'll give us a review.

I also take a sub-lingual b12 every day, and since I started doing this daily I have noticed increased energy. I just bought a cast-iron pan and I am thinking of cooking with that as an iron supplement.

I just got blood work done and the doc was amazed at how perfect everything was (I'm a vegan and he was worried about several vitamin deficiencies). But he just kept saying that he's never seen blood like mine! :p

>There's a new fish-free Omega 3/dha/epa supplement available.
> It's from algae (where fish get it too) and it's organic,
>sustainable and highly concentrated. It's also free of toxins
>that many fish contain. And it's better for the environment
>(1 kilo of fish oil takes 500 kilos of fish bodies to
>produce). So you guys may want to look into this alternative.
> I'm thinking about getting some now! I think my sister got
>some...maybe she'll give us a review.

I've tried several vegan DHA/EPA supplements. I used to use a couple of different capsule-form EPA/DHA supplements that seemed pretty good. Now I use a liqud DHA supplement from Dr. Fuhrman. He is very careful about freshness, keeping it refrigerated until shipping. It has a slight orangey flavor (nothing 'fishy,' like one of the capsule-form ones especially). I trust Dr. Fuhrman's research in the area, and that his supplements are of good quality.

As to the OP question: I take a multi-vitamin/mineral (Dr. Fuhrman's: he's careful not to include things that may be harmful in supplement form, like vitamin A or beta carotene or iron) when I remember, a B12 spray or homocysteine control spray (which contains B12) when I'm not sure if I've gotten enough from some other foods that are supplemented with it, like soy/rice milks.

Nowdays, I tr

Does anyone take L-glutamine? I just purchased some in tablet form and I'm not sure how much of it to take or when to take it. Each tablet is 500 mg. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone take CLA? I'm kinda curious to hear what people think of it.

Lauren

>I just
>bought a cast-iron pan and I am thinking of cooking with that
>as an iron supplement.

Last summer, I acquired several cast-iron pans (after finding 2 I already had--but not finding 2 others!). I LOVE them. Not only are they pretty much non-stick, if seasoned correctly (and without using any questionable substances to make them so), but they cook so nice and evenly. I also get a good upper-body workout with the bigger ones, especially the big dutch oven full of chili!

What don't I take?}( I buy my glutamine from my old trainer, here is the web site. Its good stuff.

bodybyo.com go the link that says supplements. His are easy to take and last forever, I take one scoop before going to bed.

I just started taking L-glutamine and cla last week. I got the powder form from walmart. I take the glutamine 3x days its 5 grams. I only take the CLA 1x a day but it suggests 3x day. I feel like I have more energy,could be a coincidence.

What is the difference btw the fish oil supps and the real fish? I have fish 2-3 times per week and would be interested in the supps if they were different from the actual fish or if it were OK to have both?

As for other supps I just ordered some Muscle Armor. Haven't gotten it yet :)
My BF took it once and said it was amazing. Everything Ive read about it says it's great. It helps you recover better/faster and increases strength and stamina. It's very $$ so I waited until I found it on sale..
I figure if Im going to be lifting heavy 3-5 days per week (looking for strength and mass) AND picking up an extra day of skating (making it 3 for the summer) then Id better try something to help myself out!
I was so exhausted last week I could barely bend down.
We'll see if this stuff helps-- anyone out there ever take it??

I eat fish 2 to 3 times per week and still take a fish oil supplement, however, on the days that I eat fish I don't take the supplement.

The only fish oil I can stomach is Frutol by Pharmax http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/product.asp?itemid=42, it doesn't have the yucky fish aftertaste. Even my kids take it without complaint.

I also take a high potency accidophilus supplement, also by Pharmax. Other than that, Vitamin C, magnesium and one of those green powdered drinks.

I don't take daily multivitamins anymore, I just think that most of the vitamins have outrageously high potencies and too much of a good thing is still bad :)

Ok, sounds like lots of us do the fish oil thing; I was actually looking into an omega 3,6,9 complex. Will this work the same?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.