Do you make your own cereal?

beehappy

Hi Everyone!

I have heard of people going to the bins at whole foods and mixing up different ingredients to make their own cereal. Does anyone have a recipe they could share? ...And if you are so willing to do so - could you also share the nutrition facts? Thanks in advance! Happy Holidays!

Quote from Kathryn, in the quick breakfasts thread in nutrition forum:
I make a cereal by combining chia seeds, hemp seeds and germinated buckwheat (soak raw buckwheat for 20 minutes to 2 hours, then rinse really well until water runs clear. Put in a jar with a screen top and turn upside down at an angle to drain and let dry. Then I dehydrate it).

I mix about 1 part of each ingredient (varying with each batch, sometimes 2x chia and 1x the others, sometimes 2x buckwheat and 2x the others) with a bit of salt in a Mason jar and shake to mix well.

About 2 TBSP (yes, that's all!) of this, with twice as much milk of your choice (I usually use homemade almond-Brazil nut milk or hemp milk) and any other additions you like (I like dried wild blueberries), let soak for 10 minutes then stir. The chia absorbs some of the milk and will create a texture much like cooked oatmeal.

^. .^
> ^ <

5k racewalking PR: 34:42 (11/26/11)

Since such a small amount is used, it would seem to be relatively cheap and last a long time as long as it's stored properly.
-Kristi

Alton brown had a recipe for making your own hot cereal too, can't remember what it was called.

I regularly make my own low-fat granola. It's easy to make, and I like it much better than the commercial products as I can control the ingredients and the calorie and fat count.

There are lots of recipes on the web if that is of interest to you.

I make my own granola all the time. I use a recipe from the Barefoot Contessa as my foundation, I just use less oil. I add different stuff based on what I have handy.

Are the cereal in the boxes can be as healthy as what is you personally prepared? Because for busy people like me, I only use the ones in the boxes then sometimes I just add some fresh fruits for variations.

Making it yourself can be healthier than the factory versions. You know what's in it.
You can avoid the additives, and many other things they add to make it last longer on
the shelf, but isn't so healthy for your body. Some people even have bad reactions to them. Often, if someone has an allergy or sensitivity, the only way to go is to make it
at home.

As far as being busy, and making it work. Many recipes such as granola can be made in bulk kept in your pantry sealed or frozen in the correct container.
Alton Brown has granola bar and pan cake mix recipes that can be done this way, as he demonstrated
in one of his shows. You can make a healthy version of the protein pancake dry ingredients, then just add the liquid when you're cooking them.

Last edited:
I make "raw" granola all the time. The version I like most is made w/rolled oats, coconut flakes, almonds, pecans, raisins, soaked dates, and a bit of liquid sweetener (maple syrup, coconut nectar). I blend the wet ingredients w/cinnamon, maca, and vanilla. The nuts are soaked, coarsely chopped, and then added to the dry ingredients. Once combined, the mixture is spread on a dehydrator tray and left to dehydrate for 20-24 hours. I love it! I eat it plain most of the time as a snack.

Right now, I'm using the Engine 2 Diet Rip's Bowl. When Whole Foods opens where I live (Sept 2013), I will make my own concoction.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.